Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Class pic of JK reffing a Neil Seery match. Says 2008 but looks more 98 :)

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/768170813451214848

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads only saw the fights today
    Was in hospitals all weekend
    Rumble is one of the humblest guys on the UFC
    To stop mid sentence and berated a crowd for booing DC... that's one guy who's got class written all over him.
    Sometimes I don't get UFC crowds,DC seems pretty humble too and he gets booed not stop... why... cos he has the title jbj never lost... the guy who's a drug cheating a**hole... who's p155ed more chances up against the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Rory MacDonald just signed with Bellator, hope he gets a quick title shot and wrecks house!

http://www.flocombat.com/article/45513-breaking-rory-macdonald-signs-with-bellator

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Rory MacDonald just signed with Bellator, hope he gets a quick title shot and wrecks house!

http://www.flocombat.com/article/45513-breaking-rory-macdonald-signs-with-bellator

That is one hell of a coup. I hope he gets paid big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sad to see him go but I think Bellator got him at the tail end of his career. That fight with Robbie Lawler took something serious out of him that I'm not sure he'll ever get back. Hearing him talk about his fight with Wonderboy makes me think he'll never be the same fighter again.

Hope he makes a boatload of cash though, he really deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rousey definitely not fighting on the NYC card in November, according to Dana:

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/will-ronda-rousey-return-at-ufc-205-in-new-york-city-definitely-not-dana-white-says

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

martyos121 wrote: »
    Sad to see him go but I think Bellator got him at the tail end of his career.

I know he has a fair few tough fights behind him but isn't he only 25 ot 26 or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'd have put a lot of money on rory being future champ, so close but yet so far and probably a good time to go

purely by coincidence i watched his second fight v condit earlier, at 20yrs of age he owned condit for two rounds which was incredible
    great fight for anyone who hasn't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYX4tg3elRI

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

That fight with Robbie Lawler took something serious out of him that I'm not sure he'll ever get back. Hearing him talk about his fight with Wonderboy makes me think he'll never be the same fighter again.

I think you might be right and he'll never beat the likes of wonderboy (not now anyway)
    John_D80 wrote: »
    I know he has a fair few tough fights behind him but isn't he only 25 ot 26 or something??

only 27 and might well have been top 5 in the division for another 4/5yrs without getting the belt
    I feel myself if he wasn't waiting around so long for gsp to vacate the belt he might have been champ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reports today that GSP is to return at ufc 206 in Toronto in December

http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/report-georges-st-pierre-to-return-at-ufc-206/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sad to see him go but I think Bellator got him at the tail end of his career. That fight with Robbie Lawler took something serious out of him that I'm not sure he'll ever get back. Hearing him talk about his fight with Wonderboy makes me think he'll never be the same fighter again.

Massively disagree on the notion his career is on the wind down, of course the last 2 fights have him well off the pace for a title shot even though he holds wins over Maia and the current champ. Guys like Wonderboy,Condit/Maia,Cowboy (I know only just cracking top 15 but is a bigger name than a lot in between which we know can certainly lead to jumping the queue) and even a returning Nick Diaz have certainly pushed Rory well out of discussion for a title fight.

However the man is 27! That's nearly 20 years younger than Dan Henderson who fights for the title next month!...And more to the point younger than EVERY current champ in EVERY division!

He just recently became a father not long after the Wonderboy bout there was some stuff when he was interviewed he talked about like being more serious when it came to finances, he was never flustered over money and never really cared as long as he had enough to get by sort of thing but having a child put things into perspective a bit more and realized hang on I'm not getting paid enough sort of job.

I'd say his head was all over the place going into the last fight got that sort of vibe off him when he spoke on the MMA about testing free agency.

Go make some nice $$$ with Bellator instead of waiting for imminent rematches to get back to title contention sit that out. Attempt to get the Bellator strap in 1-2 fights against fresh competition...And hopefully down the line see him back in the UFC by the time he hits 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Surprised Rory is going to Bellator.

Wonder what kind of money is on offer.
    Must be very big to leave the UFC, bad career move so must be a huge financial increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

mdwexford wrote: »

Must be very big to leave the UFC, bad career move so must be a huge financial increase.

Its the best move for his family anyway, gent of a man delighted he's getting what he deserves.

ASOT wrote: »
    Its the best move for his family anyway, gent of a man delighted he's getting what he deserves.

Yeah financial security is even more important when you start having kids.

Always been a big fan, disappointed I won't be able to see him in the UFC anymore.

Didn't think the new owners would be letting talent like him leave.

Yeah financial security is even more important when you start having kids.

Always been a big fan, disappointed I won't be able to see him in the UFC anymore.

Didn't think the new owners would be letting talent like him leave.

Exactly, got look after number one first. It will be out soon how much he's gotten, it must have been a lot anyway because the UFC wouldn't match it!!

Since when did making more money for the same role but for a different company in any job become a bad career move :confused:

Bad career move for you, best move for the man himself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He got less than $60,000 for his war with Lawler.

Even if Bellator were to double that it's not a huge chunk for them for a real next level type signing and that would be a massive difference for Rory himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Imagine if he held out for one more round against Lawler, or finished him in the 3rd

He'll probably get more money in the short to medium term, long term if he became the champ at 170 he'd have been raking it in

Paully D wrote: »

Even if Bellator were to double that it's not a huge chunk for them for a real next level type signing and that would be a massive difference for Rory himself.

I'd say its 300k minimum. Paul Daley is looking to fight him, that would be a good scrap.

• Advertisement

Since when did making more money for the same role but for a different company in any job become a bad career move :confused:

Bad career move for you, best move for the man himself

Going from the biggest organisation in the world with loads of viewers and the best fighters in the world etc to a much lesser organisation is a bad career move.

Even if he wins the Bellator title it's nothing compared to the UFC belt.
    He won't have the respect or legacy if he never returns to the UFC.

I have already said its a good financial move.
    I'm not saying he's taken the wrong option here.
    Paully D wrote: »

It's the minimum I'd expect him to leave for.

Possibly a signing fee and then being able to get sponsorships as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I've heard that Rory's deal with Bellator dwarfs Meatheads and will make more per fight than Askern is at OneFC as Base pay alone as well as giving him the ability to use his own personal sponsorships.

No brainer for Rory. 6 fight deal with Bellator, he'll finish it by 30/31 and then he can see the lay of the land.

Like strikeforce a few years back Bellator will eventually become a legitimate competitor with the UFC in terms of attracting talent but unlike strikeforce they have a company worth tens of billions behind them.

I honestly can't believe that UFC are letting him go :( Didn't he come to Ireland last time UFC came to Ireland to meet the fans? I remember he did a skit with Owen Calgan (buzz from hardy bucks)

Going from the biggest organisation in the world with loads of viewers and the best fighters in the world etc to a much lesser organisation is a bad career move.

Doesn't matter how many more viewers the UFC have it doesn't directly affect the fighters pay sadly.

Less viewers, more money so who cares. Rory might never be a UFC champion but will easily walk into Bellator as the main attraction an even bigger deal than Benson Henderson who is widely regarded by the masses as having an unlikable personality and is a boring fighter to top it off despite getting his hands on the LW belt he'll most likely be remembered as the guy who got hit with the showtime kick.
    Even if he wins the Bellator title it's nothing compared to the UFC belt.
    He won't have the respect or legacy if he never returns to the UFC.

The same UFC belt he failed to get his hands on when he got the shot? There's no guarantee he would ever become champ and the route became longer by losing to Wonderboy. He'd most likely need 2 fights to get back into contention so a shot could come when 2 years time?

As regards legacy, pretty sure his spirit in the Lawler fight cemented that. However no title won and apparently not a guy for the UFC to match Bellator's offer for. Stick with the UFC even though they don't value him as much as the rival or leave...No brainer
    I honestly can't believe that UFC are letting him go frown.png Didn't he come to Ireland last time UFC came to Ireland to meet the fans? I remember he did a skit with Owen Calgan (buzz from hardy bucks)

Ya sent as a guest fighter,he has some Irish roots too

There's also no guarantee Rory wins the bellator belt either Koreshkov is a beast, he put an absolute beat down on Benson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

would Bellator ever come and do an event here? would it be financially viable?

scudzilla wrote: »

I think the London event prices were well...UFC prices doubt they'd get away with that here

Quick work from UFC. On the bright side, Gunni is top 10 now.

https://twitter.com/MMAHEAT/status/768537532774559744

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

scudzilla wrote: »

If Gallagher racks up another win or two I definitely think they'll look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

UFC replacing McDonald with CM Punk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement