Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McDonald going to Bellator is like Premier league footballers going to China.

Financially a no brainer, big pay rise to be had. But in terms of facing elite competition and being the best you can be, forget it.

And who knows, it may not be rosy in the garden. Eyebrows were raised when Fitch, Okami, Davis and Henderson were allowed to leave and they haven't exactly pulled up trees since.

So I do understand the "bad career move" comment. He has little to gain by going to Bellator other than money. If he wins their title it will not carry much respect as all the main competition at his weight class is in the UFC. And if he doesn't win it he will be seen as an expensive flop who the UFC were right to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

DrPhilG wrote: »

Financially a no brainer, big pay rise to be had. But in terms of facing elite competition and being the best you can be, forget it.

And who knows, it may not be rosy in the garden. Eyebrows were raised when Fitch, Okami, Davis and Henderson were allowed to leave and they haven't exactly pulled up trees since.

So I do understand the "bad career move" comment. He has little to gain by going to Bellator other than money. If he wins their title it will not carry much respect as all the main competition at his weight class is in the UFC. And if he doesn't win it he will be seen as an expensive flop who the UFC were right to let go.

Everyone is more interested in money fights than belts it seems. Cant blame them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Less viewers, more money so who cares. Rory might never be a UFC champion but will easily walk into Bellator as the main attraction an even bigger deal than Benson Henderson who is widely regarded by the masses as having an unlikable personality and is a boring fighter to top it off despite getting his hands on the LW belt he'll most likely be remembered as the guy who got hit with the showtime kick.

Think your being way too harsh on Benson Henderson there.

Actually there are great parallels between him and Rory both fantastic fantastic fighters who where on a bit of a slide and made the jump to bellator.

On Rory I was in Vegas for the fight with lawler and it was fantastic what an atmosphere.

However I remember him getting fairly loudly booed on his way to cage and lawyer getting cheered. To this fay that confuses me if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

MacDonald's nose looks like it might have hindered him in future fights against the top fighters in the division. Said he broke it several times in camp and broke it against Wonderboy when he didn't get hit an awful lot. Glad to see he'll be making the money he deserves at Bellator.

I can't blame Rory for going but am surprised UFC let him go considering there are very few quality, high-profile Canadian fighters at the minute. Maybe another sign that GSP will be back for that NY or Canadian PPV card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Quick work from UFC. On the bright side, Gunni is top 10 now.

https://twitter.com/MMAHEAT/status/768537532774559744

Gunni is 12th now.

I think some people still have to update their scores to fill in the blank space at 3rd. Most of them are moving Cowboy and Lorenz Larkin into the top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gunnar v Stun Gun set for Belfast as main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    Gunnar v Stun Gun set for Belfast as main event.

That's a good match. Winnable, but tricky opponent.
    Could see him crawl up the top 10 a bit more with a solid win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Rory gave the UFC their most violent, best ever fight, and who knows what price he might have to pay for that down the line. Makes me sad they wouldn't pay him what he felt he was worth.

Easy decision for for Rory when that happens. Get paid more, great chance to hold two belts in Bellator, they'll role out the red carpet, make him feel important. No USADA testing. So, happy for him in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Any chance joseph duffy fights at ufc belfast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I would imagine it's quite likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ricero wrote: »
    Any chance joseph duffy fights at ufc belfast ?

I'd be pretty shocked if he wasn't included on this card.

Give him Sage. :pac:

He'll probably be matched up against Frankie Perez or someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

DrPhilG wrote: »

Everyone is more interested in money fights than belts it seems. Cant blame them
    These guys get paid pennies by the UFC to lose their brain cells when you consider it all, can't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

These guys get paid pennies by the UFC to lose their brain cells when you consider it all, can't blame him.

It's not just the fighters who are all about the money! The UFC have been devaluing their titles for a while now.

They've had title fights be co-main to non title fights because the money is right. Now they're giving a title fight to 46 year old Dan Henderson who is not only 2-3 in his last 5 fights, but who has said that even if he wins the belt he won't be defending it and will be retiring on the spot.

Why?? MoneyMoneyMoneyMoooonnnnay

MOOONAYYY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's not just the fighters who are all about the money! The UFC have been devaluing their titles for a while now.

They've had title fights be co-main to non title fights because the money is right. Now they're giving a title fight to 46 year old Dan Henderson who is not only 2-3 in his last 5 fights, but who has said that even if he wins the belt he won't be defending it and will be retiring on the spot.

Why?? MoneyMoneyMoneyMoooonnnnay

MOOONAYYY!!!

Its the sport of entertainment. Not the sport of MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

dashoonage wrote: »

if ye smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll what Joe's been smoooookkkkiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnn ....................

dashoonage wrote: »

Entertainment isn't a sport. But you can combine the two. they should change the name to something catchy like.......... Sports Entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Or U.E.C

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Less viewers, more money so who cares. Rory might never be a UFC champion but will easily walk into Bellator as the main attraction an even bigger deal than Benson Henderson who is widely regarded by the masses as having an unlikable personality and is a boring fighter to top it off despite getting his hands on the LW belt he'll most likely be remembered as the guy who got hit with the showtime kick.

That and proposing to his girlfriend in the octagon. Jesus that was cringe. Why did he put us through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

RebelSoul wrote: »
    That and proposing to his girlfriend in the octagon. Jesus that was cringe. Why did he put us through that.

I tried to forget that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

New 8 fight contract for Cowboy. Well deserved and I hope it's worth a lot more than his last one, he's a great company guy for the UFC, never lets them down.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/cowboy-sticking-around-donald-cerrone-signs-new-eight-fight-ufc-contract/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

RebelSoul wrote: »

I remember Benson as the guy who posed for a photo with me then 2 seconds later refuse to pose for a photo with some young kid as he was 'too tired' from his weight cut. I doubt the kid even knew what that meant, I realise and accept he has a tough cut to 155 lbs and that he had probably posed for lots of photos and signed lots of autographs but still, just get in the kids photo.

martyos121 wrote: »
    New 8 fight contract for Cowboy. Well deserved and I hope it's worth a lot more than his last one, he's a great company guy for the UFC, never lets them down.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/cowboy-sticking-around-donald-cerrone-signs-new-eight-fight-ufc-contract/

8 fights? Great!

He'll be out of contract again by Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

MrStuffins wrote: »
    8 fights? Great!

He'll be out of contract again by Christmas!
    Must be expecting him to get injured between now and Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Have ringside seats for the next BAMMA....cannot wait. Last one was savage, my first time to see BAMMA. Great show...my mate sponsors one of the fighters so fingers crossed he will be immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Rory McDonald has just said he got information that Robbie Lawlor failed a drug test for his fight against him on the MMA Hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

lertsnim wrote: »
    Rory McDonald has just said he got information that Robbie Lawlor failed a drug test for his fight against him on the MMA Hour?

Very, very interesting. I'm surprised this hasn't exploded to be honest.

This was tweeted in July:

https://twitter.com/dimspace/status/759418375965667328?lang=en

Lawler's full test results from 189 here, published by NSAC:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AKCZr8TfS5HKMgk&cid=CA8204ABE94E79CF&id=CA8204ABE94E79CF%216363&parId=CA8204ABE94E79CF%213096&o=OneUp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

lertsnim wrote: »

Really surprising if this is true. That was pre usada wasnt it so not impossible i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Wow. Huge if true.

Is the implication that there was a cover up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Wow. Huge if true.

Is the implication that there was a cover up?

He goes on to say that no rules were broken at the time they may well have if those results came through now and at the very least it would warrant further investigation. No suggestion of it really being covered up but seems strange that was out there all this time and seems to have gone under the radar though. It will surely get picked up now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement