Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

You're right with regards the title fights and guys near the top

But the undercard where you're often building up new guys or trying to put 2 guys together who should have a good fight, matching people up like that takes a bit of experience to do

Do we know that he was actually doing a good job when it comes to those matchups?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

bur wrote: »
    Do we know that he was actually doing a good job when it comes to those matchups?

Yes, that's what I meant, that's why I said you'd need someone with experience ie Joe Silva to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You're right with regards the title fights and guys near the top

But the undercard where you're often building up new guys or trying to put 2 guys together who should have a good fight, matching people up like that takes a bit of experience to do

Nah it's an overated position, all ya need is the slightest bit of knowledge look at a MMA site after an event and they'll give you a rundown of match-ups to make following X event.

He hasn't ever taken a kicking anytime he's put together numerous stinkers, even still a good match up doesn't necessarily deliver a great fight.

Guys n Gals will build themselves with W's,fighting style and personality, Joe Silva isn't responsible for that.

Pairing those entering the company up with opponents with similar records isn't exactly rocket science.

Anyway give it up for Sean Shelby greatest matchmaker in the biz :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyone what make matches for main card fighters after a PPV.

Match making the undercard, talent acquisition, decided in a random from Bamma, Cage Wars, Brace deserves a shot is much tougher. Most fans/casual reporters wouldn't be remember half the fighters names, let alone know their strengths.

I don't think it's a difficult job, but its a full time where experience counts for a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gsp just said on ufc tonight that he wants to come back on a full time schedule not just a one off fight. Also said that he put his demands on the table and is waiting to hear from the ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Any significance to the fact the GSP decides to return just a few months after the Fertitta's/Dana sell up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

John_D80 wrote: »
    Any significance to the fact the GSP decides to return just a few months after the Fertitta's/Dana sell up?

doubt it. He's been planning it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

John_D80 wrote: »
    I don't it Dana is still the president and has the same control he had before.
    GSP has been talking about returning for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Gunnar vs Kim announced as main event for Belfast

Also Reza Madadi vs Marc Diakiese announced for Belfast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NightmareUFC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I think this is Gustafssons last real chance, he needs to put a run together

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Deadst4r wrote: »

http://www.ssearenabelfast.com/ufc

Doors listed as 12am.

Surely a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Deadst4r wrote: »

Disappointing/ironic how Reza Madadi is on the Belfast card while Parke has been cut despite him beating Madadi, and misses his hometown event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Disappointing/ironic how Reza Madadi is on the Belfast card while Parke has been cut despite him beating Madadi, and misses his hometown event.
    3 losses in last 4 but one was against a juicer in Tibau
    Dana should give him another go
    On the other hand we all know how Dana hates boring fighters and Parker is just that

smilerf wrote: »
    3 losses in last 4 but one was against a juicer in Tibau
    Dana should give him another go
    On the other hand we all know how Dana hates boring fighters and Parker is just that

8 decisions in 10 UFC fights and some VERY boring ones in there.
    Hopefully they sign The Strabanimal for Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Presumably under a multi fight deal with Bellator, no?

Didn't look great in his last fight (admittedly against a guy who had no interest in fighting) so not sure he'd be much of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

8 decisions in 10 UFC fights and some VERY boring ones in there.

Has a multifight deal with Bellator and I don't think he's ready for the UFC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ASOT wrote: »

He's not the first to say it, others have complained about the adds on the canvass cause it to be slippy.

• Advertisement

He's not the first to say it, others have complained about the adds on the canvass cause it to be slippy.

I know but he was on the deck because he got smacked in the jaw and not because of a slippy surface, Landon seemed to do fairly well to not slip. If anything he should be milking that he has a solid jaw imo not making excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I'd barely even call that a spar. Looks more like a warm up.

Looks like the annoucements should be coming in pretty soon....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/6/12824312/al-iaquinta-vs-thiago-alves-set-for-ufc-205-in-new-york

Id expect frankie, Sterling, Weidman etc all to be on it anyway. Itll be much bigger than 200. Pettis also wantMax at 205, id love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

IMO I think this lad has the potential to be challenging for the belt in next 18 months, one of the most relaxed fighters I have seen enter the octagon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This guy (@dimspace) is quite good on Twitter. He's very often on the ball about upcoming fights based on testing patters.

He reported last week that it looked like Weidman/Romero would be on 205 based on testing patters and that was verbally agreed yesterday as per numerous sources.

He also thinks Joanna will be on it, along with Dillashaw, Hendricks, Holloway (and/or Lamas) and Horiguchi, while he thinks Esparza v Torres is an outside bet.

Here's a random, useless fact. Jimi Manuwa is the ranked fighter on the roster who has gone the longest without being tested. 49 weeks! Almost a year with no test for Manuwa! Ronda is second at 29 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ASOT wrote: »
    Looks like the annoucements should be coming in pretty soon....

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/6/12824312/al-iaquinta-vs-thiago-alves-set-for-ufc-205-in-new-york

Id expect frankie, Sterling, Weidman etc all to be on it anyway. Itll be much bigger than 200. Pettis also wantMax at 205, id love that.

Bollox, I'm going to have to book.

Was hoping to secure a ticket before I buy a flight, but if Conor gets confirmed the flight prices will skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

UFC rewards acting funny for anyone else?

Sign in and it's asking me to "enable rewards", which does nothing.

maximoose wrote: »

Are you connected to a VPN by any chance? Usually causes problems on the UFC site for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

maximoose wrote: »

Happening for me says my name at top but where usually shows points says "LEARN MORE" have close to 10,000 points too ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement