Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Joanne wearing addidas doing interview with Ariel and giving out about reebok gear. She won't be getting contract with them any time soon.

Adidas own reebok anyway wouldn't see that making a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Fair enough. Didn't realise either of those things. She still wants her kilt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Anyway there is still plenty of seats left and they haven't gone up much in price, so you aren't really helping an mma fan out. Also if you could just get a refund you woud.
    Thanks dude for that comment was nice sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

14murphy wrote: »
    Thanks dude for that comment was nice sound.

Good luck with your sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Ruthless Robbie has pulled out of ufc 205.

Reasons unclear.

Strange one really. Injured perhaps but it must be a serious injury 8 weeks out.

Bummer. That would have been pretty epic with Cowboy in top form.

Conspiracy Theory:

Conor v Eddie not happening due to power-struggle. UFC pulled Robbie to set up Cowboy v Eddie.

• Advertisement

Actually it would make sense IF:

Conor v Aldo
    Eddie v Cowboy

Hold Robbie Lawler back for a Nick Diaz return in late December.

And it could actually work out amazing if Conor and Cowboy win. It'll be the fight the UFC were hoping for early this year until RDA ruined it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I know i may sound like a conspiracy theorist but I think something must have happened to Lawler in the day before the weigh in for the Woodley fight.

He was last to the weigh in, didn't do the last embedded (a headliner not appearing in tje last embedded vid!!!), and looked ropey in the fight itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I know i may sound like a conspiracy theorist but I think something must have happened to Lawler in the day before the weigh in for the Woodley fight.

He was last to the weigh in, didn't do the last embedded (a headliner not appearing in tje last embedded vid!!!), and looked ropey in the fight itself.

Whats the conspiracy?

Whats the conspiracy?
    All those fists to the face are finally catching up !

Ariel Helwani has just come out saying "sources close to Robbie indicate he needs more time after being knocked out by Tyron Woodley".

Which is strange to say the least. Why sign for the fight? If you know you need more time why sign on dotted line then pull out 36 hours later.

Something fishy going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Actually it would make sense IF:

Conor v Aldo
    Eddie v Cowboy

Hold Robbie Lawler back for a Nick Diaz return in late December.

And it could actually work out amazing if Conor and Cowboy win. It'll be the fight the UFC were hoping for early this year until RDA ruined it all.

No way should Cowboy get another title shot. His last fight at Lightweight was a title shot and he got beat in just over a minute.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    No way should Cowboy get another title shot. His last fight at Lightweight was a title shot and he got beat in just over a minute.

Agreed.

But Cowboy is the biggest draw (outside of Conor) they can possibly make at LW. There's nobody else. Khabib isn't a PPV draw, RDA and Ferguson are fighting elsewhere, Nate is probably high as a kite on a beach somewhere.

If Conor isn't fighting Eddie, then Cowboy is top of the line. He's already beaten him and he's on a hot streak at 170lbs.

The argument he doesn't deserve it is the same argument against Bisping v Hendo - It's a correct argument but it won't mean anything.

They need at least 2, possibly 3 title fights at UFC 205. One is going to be Eddie Alvarez v Whoever. The others are likely to be Joanna v Karolina and DC v Rumble.

All depends on Conor. If Conor headlines, then they save DC and Rumble to headline a different show.

If Conor doesn't get the deal done, then DC v Rumble is the headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,763 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How is Cerrone a draw? This has literally never been proven before. His title fight against Dos Anjos wasn't on PPV.

callaway92 wrote: »
    How is Cerrone a draw? This has literally never been proven before. His title fight against Dos Anjos wasn't on PPV.

he's the best "draw" out of a bad bunch of "draws" at LW.

You honestly think Khabib sells more PPV's?

The biggest "names" in the LW division are Cowboy Cerrone and Nate Diaz.

Social Media is a pretty useful tool for the UFC and they use those metrics quite a lot.

Cerrone has more followers across social media than Eddie Alvarez, Khabib and Ferguson COMBINED.

Before Conor v Nate saga, he had more followers than Nate.

He's 100% the biggest name they can get to fight Eddie - if Conor isn't taking it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Whats the conspiracy?

That something bad happened to Lawler the day before the weigh in for the Woodley fight that has been hushed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

That something bad happened to Lawler the day before the weigh in for the Woodley fight that has been hushed up.

I was actually looking for some wild assumptions.

I'll wildly assume he may be having concussion issues. Its very quick to pull out of a fight without a reason i.e broken arm, ligament injury.

he's the best "draw" out of a bad bunch of "draws" at LW.

You honestly think Khabib sells more PPV's?

The biggest "names" in the LW division are Cowboy Cerrone and Nate Diaz.

Social Media is a pretty useful tool for the UFC and they use those metrics quite a lot.

Cerrone has more followers across social media than Eddie Alvarez, Khabib and Ferguson COMBINED.

Before Conor v Nate saga, he had more followers than Nate.

He's 100% the biggest name they can get to fight Eddie - if Conor isn't taking it.

Cerrone's not a draw. Certainly not enough of one to warrant a title shot at this stage. No way is he 'top of the line'. Khabib is. Bisping/Hendo is a rematch that the Champion wanted and is a nice gesture for a guy retiring. Hendo had a win in the division. Cowboy is staying at WW for now it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Cerrone's not a draw. Certainly not enough of one to warrant a title shot at this stage. No way is he 'top of the line'. Khabib is. Bisping/Hendo is a rematch that the Champion wanted and is a nice gesture for a guy retiring. Hendo had a win in the division. Cowboy is staying at WW for now it seems.

don't think Khabib has earned it yet, he needs a win against a top guy to prove hes still what he was before the injuries, Next challenger should be either Conor or the winner of RDA/Ferguson

Depp wrote: »
    don't think Khabib has earned it yet, he needs a win against a top guy to prove hes still what he was before the injuries, Next challenger should be either Conor or the winner of RDA/Ferguson

If Ferguson wins then yeah, but I'd rather see Khabib over RDA again. Certainly over Cowboy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nate is probably high as a kite on a beach somewhere.

Sure we're nine weeks out. Nate only needs 11 days notice to go from beach bum stoner to fighting shape....... apparently :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

He might not be the draw that Conor is but Cowboy is most definitely a draw and like someone said he is in the top few draws at Lw assuming he is gonna fight there again.

Khabib might have some draw in Dagestan but in the USA where they are selling most tickets and ppvs Cowboy is well ahead in terms of fame and drawing power.

newbbieb wrote: »
    He might not be the draw that Conor is but Cowboy is most definitely a draw and like someone said he is in the top few draws at Lw assuming he is gonna fight there again.

Khabib might have some draw in Dagestan but in the USA where they are selling most tickets and ppvs Cowboy is well ahead in terms of fame and drawing power.

What is a draw? Someone who sells PPVs? Yeah Cowboy doesn't. Very very few fighters too. Cowboy is more popular amongst the MMA world but he has no drawing power.

Does anyone know when UFC 205 tickets will become available?

Fight Club - 28th September
    Newsletter Presale - 29th
    General Sale - 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Is anyone else having trouble with the figh club account. When I login I cant access the forum and its giving me an option to renew for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

General Sale - 30th

I'll be properly shyting the tights that day.

Flight and hotel booked so missing a ticket is not an option. First oul pish they throw me I'll take it.

Prices are going to be bloody steep too so I need to get in at the lower end or face the choice of take one that's way too expensive or take my chances in the next say sale.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'll be properly shyting the tights that day.

Flight and hotel booked so missing a ticket is not an option. First oul pish they throw me I'll take it.

Prices are going to be bloody steep too so I need to get in at the lower end or face the choice of take one that's way too expensive or take my chances in the next say sale.

Same here. Not even considering the bottom price band as an option though with so few tickets ever released.

General Sale - 30th
    Where did you see these dates?

Literally result #1 when you google UFC New York

http://www.ufc.com/new-york?redirect=no

• Advertisement

Literally result #1 when you google UFC New York

http://www.ufc.com/new-york?redirect=no
    Cheers. Sorry I was looking at the dates on the event page and fight club dates and it is not listed there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement