Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

al iaquinta isn't going to be fighting any time soon by the looks of it, pity i liked him.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/al-iaquinta-explains-why-hes-not-competing-in-his-dream-fight-at-ufc-205-091916

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    al iaquinta isn't going to be fighting any time soon by the looks of it, pity i liked him.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/al-iaquinta-explains-why-hes-not-competing-in-his-dream-fight-at-ufc-205-091916

Crazy that someone going into their 10th fight is only getting $26,000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

They want top quality professional fighters but pay them peanuts. . .and then take their sponsorship away. Makes perfect sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

And a top 15 guy, who is a decent watch when fighting, always comes to fight.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    And a top 15 guy, who is a decent watch when fighting, always comes to fight.

This! It's not like he's boring or anything. I really enjoyed him in TUF and his career afterwards. Rated him very highly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

More and more fighters are going to be jumping ship. Both Rockhold & Weidman have come out and said they're not being paid enough recently.

It will be a small process, but I think Bellator will be getting stronger and stronger over the next few years. Sure they have the Bendos & Rory's of the world, but once the prospects like Iaquinta, Duffy etc. start refusing new contracts and going over the Bellator, then they'll really start to become players!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    More and more fighters are going to be jumping ship. Both Rockhold & Weidman have come out and said they're not being paid enough recently.

It will be a small process, but I think Bellator will be getting stronger and stronger over the next few years. Sure they have the Bendos & Rory's of the world, but once the prospects like Iaquinta, Duffy etc. start refusing new contracts and going over the Bellator, then they'll really start to become players!

It's up to fans to go with them too. Lots of fans are only into UFC. At Bellator in London it was barely half full, even with MVP and Paul Daley on the card.

Nothing will change while the money is rolling in. Price rises, loyalty programs ending, less fightclub perks, tickets sold with zero events. It's all about the $$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Absolutely, and crazy also to think that Nate was only paid $20,000 for fighting Johnson in December (which I think was around his 20th UFC fight?).

He got the same amount as a win bonus on top of that but still crazy low for a fighter that has fought that much for the company.

I know he lost a hefty chunk of those fights but still and all.

RDA hurting his foot seems to have been the best thing to happen to Nate Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

https://twitter.com/allelbows/status/777935032908263424

Northcutt on Mickey Gall

OH MY GOD SHOTS FIRED!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It feels to me like it's getting ever closer to some sort of fighter strike or similar. More and more are starting to speak out about unhappy with their conditions.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if something happens within the next 12 months.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    It feels to me like it's getting ever closer to some sort of fighter strike or similar. More and more are starting to speak out about unhappy with their conditions.

definitely going to happen. Will take the right person to convince them all to raise their hand though. Shocking that they banned Al Iaquinta from receiving bonuses for 3 fights because he went to the beach when he was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Paddy Pimblett is pretty average on The MMA Hour IMO. He (understandably) seems very nervous.

It was a great opportunity to make himself know to the American audience and get them intrigued, the vast majority of who won't know who he is, but I don't think any of them will be scrambling to see his first UFC fight. There are clearly a couple of rehearsed lines too (e.g. "he says he came to take over, I'm here to conquer".)

There has been lots of comparisons to McGregor but compare that to McGregor's first appearance with Ariel and it's levels apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Yeah it seems very week now its happening. More and more stories of fighters struggling to make ends meat.

The Reebok deal did really f*ck them over big time. It's scandalous.

Ah come on Paddy.

Ariel has given him a great opportunity here, asking him who he wants for his debut and what's the dream scenario. The worst possible answer you can give here is "anyone, I don't care" or similar, which is exactly what Pimblett says.

Journalists snooping on here for stories :)

https://twitter.com/IsMiseDaniel/status/777797489302839296

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I just cannot take to Pimblett - saw his last 2 fights, he just strikes me as a Scouse Jay from the Inbetweeners. Not a chance the Yanks can understand what he's saying either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

We could have some fun with this lads...

Might Mouse vs Bones to headline 205.

Just the 24 pounds for Cyborg to lose over the next few days just to make 140 :eek:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/19/12976442/cris-cyborg-still-needs-to-lose-24-pounds-before-friday-weigh-in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just the 24 pounds for Cyborg to lose over the next few days just to make 140 :eek:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/19/12976442/cris-cyborg-still-needs-to-lose-24-pounds-before-friday-weigh-in

Thats insane i hope shes ok because that cut will nearly kill her.

In chael related news, massive implications if he fails a test.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/19/12952766/chael-sonnen-says-he-loses-100-percent-of-purse-and-faces-500000-fine

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »

I'm glad fighters are making moves to get better pay. But they need to focus on making better deals going forward and stop playing the victim card over past pay. They got paid what they agreed. Nobody forced them and it's only since McGregor money that they are feeling short changed.
    Fair enough, new signings take what they can't get. But Chris and Luke were MW champs, the onus is on them imo.

Belator will help out one it two fighters who jump first, but the rest are screwed. For every former UFC fighter getting 6 figures, there 8 guys on the undercard getting $2k or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ASOT wrote: »

I'm inclined not to he'd lose a 100% of his purse or get a 500k fine, it's a bit unprecedented.

In Chael's own words, "Heels lie".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm glad fighters are making moves to get better pay. But they need to focus on making better deals going forward and stop playing the victim card over past pay. They got paid what they agreed. Nobody forced them and it's only since McGregor money that they are feeling short changed.
    Fair enough, new signings take what they can't get. But Chris and Luke were MW champs, the onus is on them imo.

Belator will help out one it two fighters who jump first, but the rest are screwed. For every former UFC fighter getting 6 figures, there 8 guys on the undercard getting $2k or less.

The problem with Weidman and Rockhold was they had no provisions in their contracts as to what happened if they lost their belts. Both were happy and making champion money while it lasted but once they lost it they reverted to their original contracts.

TJ Dillashaw is back earning 20/20 once he lost the belt.

I think the Bellator option will improve affairs of the fighters. Testing free agency is the result of people trying to get improved contract offers and IMO more and more fighters will be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Only just seen rewards is being scrapped :( Literally can't afford anything either with 1945 pts. Guess I'll be getting a 1mth sub to fight pass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Fight pass, you mad? Look at all those sweet, sweet wallpapers you could get :pac:

I have about 4k points, suppose a few months fight pass is better than nothing

What's the trick to getting the 1 month fight pass??? I have the points for 3 of them. I select 3 in the quantity drop down. Confirm. Confirm again. Then nothing happens :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

What's the trick to getting the 1 month fight pass??? I have the points for 3 of them. I select 3 in the quantity drop down. Confirm. Confirm again. Then nothing happens :/

I'm having trouble redeeming my last few points as well when I try to get the FightPass subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gus v Lil Nog slated for Fight Night 100. Scoggins v Pedro Munhoz also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »

Most of them agreed deals before the reebok deal was put into place so they were working out their income on the bases of fight pay + sponsorship, most were making far more from sponsorship than fight pay, losing the sponsorship money and getting a ****ty few k from reebok is crippling a lot of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement