Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Damn didn't believe it when I saw it on facebook earlier. Checked twitter and it was confirmed.

Unfortunately yeah :( Lot of love being shown for him when the news first broke. Sounded like it was very unexpected too, I think it was Ian McCall said he was with him at the weekend watching the superbowl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Legend of the game fought the best of them who will ever forget this kinda stuff he done

R.I.P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gamebred wrote: »
    Legend of the game fought the best of them who will ever forget this kinda stuff he done

R.I.P

Probably my favourite mma moment!

Really sad news, I used to be a huge fan of the guy, he had some great moments in his career, but some really strange and bad performances too. He seemed like a decent guy though, there is a good interview done with Pride in his fight before Nakamura, where he starts off talking some classic trash talk before he gets serious and opens up a good bit on his personal life

Overeem resigns with the UFC(I didn't know he was out of contract), probably wants the UFC belt for his collection.

http://www.epicmma.nl/2016/02/alistair-overeem-verlengd-zijn-contract.html

translated text
    Alistair Overeem has nevertheless chosen to sign with the UFC and probably will be his first fight in the UFC in Ahoy Rotterdam on May 8!
    After the expiry of his contract with the UFC was to wait and see if Overeem (40-14-1) would make the transition to another organization or if he would still like to go to the UFC.
    Ultimately there so decided to go anyway for the UFC, a lot of information is not clear about the duration of his contract or the financial aspect.
    Although his opponent is not yet known, a source close Overeem confirms us this news.
    EPIC MMA Keep an eye out for more news and updates on Alistair Overeem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Devastator wrote: »
    Overeem resigns with the UFC
    It's amazing the difference a missing hyphen makes. Mind was going in the opposite direction for a second.
    resigns vrs re-signs

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    It's amazing the difference a missing hyphen makes. Mind was going in the opposite direction for a second.
    resigns vrs re-signs

"Resigns with" vs "resigns from" ..... seems clear enough to me:confused::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

"Resigns with" vs "resigns from" ..... seems clear enough to me:confused::D

To be fair, it caught me aswell

if-your-a-grammar-nazi.jpg

Aljamain Sterling re-signs(can't be bothered with another grammar lesson :rolleyes::pac:) with the UFC

Seems very strange making everyone wait a week or so for his announcement

I'd say bellator offered him nothing special for some reason he thinks hes a draw nice guy but he has 8k followers on twitter nobody knows him.

• Advertisement

Linekar is out of the Cody Gamebrandt with illness,was looking forward to him taking codys head off :mad:

I'd say bellator offered him nothing special for some reason he thinks hes a draw nice guy but he has 8k followers on twitter nobody knows him.

He's still very young without a ton of fights so I'm not sure how much of a draw he still actually is. I dunno what the amount of followers really proves though, although more people seem to using it as some sort of guage(I read the other day of a football team using their amount of social media followers as if to prove how good they were :confused:).
    Linekar is out of the Cody Gamebrandt with illness,was looking forward to him taking codys head off :mad:

Dengue fever apparently which is a mosquito transferred virus. Sounds like it can be nasty. Are they getting a replacement or postponing the fight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I heard abit on the MMA Hour and he was saying it was WSOF that was the other competition, not Bellator.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Overeem resigns with the UFC(I didn't know he was out of contract), probably wants the UFC belt for his collection.

http://www.epicmma.nl/2016/02/alistair-overeem-verlengd-zijn-contract.html

translated text

He was never going to sign for anyone else, he got over 500k for beating JDS he wouldn't even get half of that at any other promotion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

they've put up some big fights on the UFC youtube page

McG v Mendes
    RDA v Pettis
    Holm v Rousey

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFC/videos

I forgot Ronda hit Holm after the bell, the bell went before she wound up too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

CatFromHue wrote: »
    they've put up some big fights on the UFC youtube page

McG v Mendes
    RDA v Pettis
    Holm v Rousey

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFC/videos

I forgot Ronda hit Holm after the bell, the bell went before she wound up too

That first round from RDA against Pettis was absolutely exceptional, i forgot how good he looked

Yeah RDA absolutely steam rolled Pettis one the most dominant wins ive seen in a title fight,his kick to the body of Pettis was beautiful landed it a heap of times,his boxing is sloppy though very wild could see Conor doing the exact same as he done to Aldo a precision left hand to the chin while hes off balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Yeah RDA absolutely steam rolled Pettis one the most dominant wins ive seen in a title fight,his kick to the body of Pettis was beautiful landed it a heap of times,his boxing is sloppy though very wild could see Conor doing the exact same as he done to Aldo a precision left hand to the chin while hes off balance.

i hope conor doesnt get pressured near the cage either RDA while mightnt be the most technical of Boxers has serious power in that left hand. Conor better keep him at distance

Augusto Mendes in against Cody, decent set of stones on cody taking that last minute.

Rampage heading back to Bellator for two fights to finally sort out the mess he's in, didnt use to like him at all but his twitch streams and online videos are amazing these days, really funny guy. Bellator are mad basically forcing him to fight, going into the cage not arsed will be dangerous/unappealing.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/16/11021128/rampage-jackson-agrees-to-settlement-new-contract-with-bellator

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Augusto Mendes in against Cody, decent set of stones on cody taking that last minute.

What's Mendes' striking like? I suppose he only needs to get close wnough to grab a leg then its half-guard city

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Some pretty serious allegations against BJ Penn from someone who worked for him including sexual assault and being a coke head:

CbXVaFTVIAAyiPT.jpg:large

An MMA photographer who was also supposedly present posted that the allegations were 100% true, her account is https://twitter.com/cynthiavance
    @cyntiavance

But the allegations are 100% true. I was working on the Big Island shooting a pilot for bjpenn.com when all of this went down.

Very serious allegations, obviously don't know if they are true or not yet but twitter wouldn't seem like the best way to report something like this..

Lukker- wrote: »

An MMA photographer who was also supposedly present posted that the allegations were 100% true, her account is https://twitter.com/cynthiavance
    Forget the photographer, where's the Playboy-model-girlfriend.

Joking aside, I found it a bit weird he choose to refer to her like that. Not sure twitter is the best place to spring the allegations. BJ is a big star on a small island

Very serious allegations they'd wanna press charges or BJ will sue them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I love how he had to mention that it was his 'playboy model' girlfriend.

Well that's Pepsi ruled out as a sponsor

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

I love how he had to mention that it was his 'playboy model' girlfriend.

^Agree. Loses a bit of credibility instantly when he's writing stuff like that.

I'll tell you tho, I never liked BJ's personality. No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ronda on Ellen, Jaysus this is tough to watch. From describing her brain not working from Hollys first punch, to feeling suicidal after the fight, to then wanting Travis's babies, to then wanting a rematch against Holly and to then not feeling bad for Holly when she (Ronda) beats her.

Ellen then "Wow, Holly better watch out. You're so brave Ronda" Everyone applauds.

WTF did I just watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

weemcd wrote: »
    ^Agree. Loses a bit of credibility instantly when he's writing stuff like that.

I'll tell you tho, I never liked BJ's personality. No idea why.

I like BJ, but accept that he's a bit of a maniac so I wouldn't be surprised if these rumours were true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I hope Holly kicks her head off next time, can't stand Rousey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement