Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

I have to say I'm genuinely shocked by the amount of fans who seem to have no interest in fighter welfare. Many of them being fans that would attend/watch events and take a big interest in the sport.
    There's only a few fighters I'd say I'm a 'fan' of, mostly just liking good match-ups but I'd prefer all fighters to at least be able to earn what the average employee earns but preferably more considering the physical damage they take, temporary contracts, likelihood of injury and reduced earnings and the overall short life-span of the career.

I know I certainly wouldn't fight at the bottom of a UFC card for $10-12k. 6 weeks training, camp costs, sparring partners, taxes, flights, hotels. And that's only if your opponent doesnt pull out with a week to go and you get nothing despite having most of the costs. And permanently having to list where you will be 24/7 incase a guy from USADA pays a visit???

The tide seems to be turning though. The ones that don't care about the fighters will realise the cards are falling through, on a large part, because of the poor treatment of the fighters. They'll start to realise then once they stop blaming the fighters.

I thought the new owners would see how fan and fighter loyalty is dwindling after all the poor decisions but clearly not. Fightclub perks removed AFTER sign-up, now rewards disappearing, inflated ticket prices with ever increasing P1 sections, tickets sold without fights, changing access to events via fightpass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

I have to say I'm genuinely shocked by the amount of fans who seem to have no interest in fighter welfare. Many of them being fans that would attend/watch events and take a big interest in the sport.
    There's only a few fighters I'd say I'm a 'fan' of, mostly just liking good match-ups but I'd prefer all fighters to at least be able to earn what the average employee earns but preferably more considering the physical damage they take, temporary contracts, likelihood of injury and reduced earnings and the overall short life-span of the career.

I know I certainly wouldn't fight at the bottom of a UFC card for $10-12k. 6 weeks training, camp costs, sparring partners, taxes, flights, hotels. And that's only if your opponent doesnt pull out with a week to go and you get nothing despite having most of the costs. And permanently having to list where you will be 24/7 incase a guy from USADA pays a visit???

The tide seems to be turning though. The ones that don't care about the fighters will realise the cards are falling through, on a large part, because of the poor treatment of the fighters. They'll start to realise then once they stop blaming the fighters.

I thought the new owners would see how fan and fighter loyalty is dwindling after all the poor decisions but clearly not. Fightclub perks removed AFTER sign-up, now rewards disappearing, inflated ticket prices with ever increasing P1 sections, tickets sold without fights, changing access to events via fightpass.

I would love to see the fighters get more money but i dunno if its necessarily gonna provide the fans with better cards/fights.I am all for fighter welfare too i just sometimes wonder will it work so well if the fighters got their true value.

The UFC has worked so well for the fans almost because of how badly some fighters are paid in some ways,because when they need money its easier to make the bigger fights,also its easier for the UFC to put on expos and Q&As for the fans when they are raking it in.

If they had to pay the fighters closer to their value you would see a trimming down of these kind of things,and if fighters are getting better paid they are gonna be quicker to turn down difficult match ups because they won't be as desperate for the cash so it eventually will head in the direction of boxing and a lot of good match ups will never happen.

There is no doubt fighters are underpaid but the UFC is a business if it ceased operating like a business and operated on sentiment it would go broke fast and the sport would be in peril,so the UFC is gonna UFC and try to maximize profits its up to fighters to be smart and negotiate better and use whatever leverage they have before they sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Gus v Lil' Nog headliner for UFCFN:100 in Brazil (same night as Belfast) 3rd time this match up has been made Nog pulled out through injury on the other 2 occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Most of them agreed deals before the reebok deal was put into place so they were working out their income on the bases of fight pay + sponsorship, most were making far more from sponsorship than fight pay, losing the sponsorship money and getting a ****ty few k from reebok is crippling a lot of them.

Yeah, the reebok deal crippled loads of fighters. Surely if you signed your contract before the deal was made there could be some break clause or get out terms because the UFC have effectively altered it without consulting the fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, the reebok deal crippled loads of fighters. Surely if you signed your contract before the deal was made there could be some break clause or get out terms because the UFC have effectively altered it without consulting the fighter.

The guy who started that fighters association who's been involved in the NBA and NHL players unions for decades is 100% convinced the UFC's fighter contracts are unenforceable by the company because they break a load of employment laws and realistically any fighter could walk away at any time and there's pretty much nothing to UFC could do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

The guy who started that fighters association who's been involved in the NBA and NHL players unions for decades is 100% convinced the UFC's fighter contracts are unenforceable by the company because they break a load of employment laws and realistically any fighter could walk away at any time and there's pretty much nothing to UFC could do.

Jeff Borris. He's represented some of the most famous baseball players of all time (Barry Bonds, Jose Canseco etc).

Basically calling UFC fighters independent contractors is unenforceable because the UFC tells the fighters when to fight, who to fight, or they risk being cut. They are employees and any tribunal will back that up.

If he succeeds in unionizing the fighters they would expect a better baseline pay and health benefits at the very least. Currently, if a fighter injures themselves in fight camp or a fight they are covered. If they are out of camp or break their arm in a car accident, they are not covered (the UFC sometimes will pay up , depends who it is).

There's massive incentives to unionize but there's huge risks. Al Iaquinta came out publicly this week and within 24 hours the response from the UFC was basically "F YOU" and they replaced him with Jim Miller.

Dana White is ruthless. Iaquinta's days are numbered.

The only way a union will work (currently) is if it's led from the top by either McGregor or Rousey (or both). I.e. 2 stars the UFC can't afford to lose or cut.

If they come out and support it, everyone will follow in behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

PIMPHO wrote: »

Eddie has been spouting about for weeks, that post doesn't confirm the fight anymore than what we already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Seery to retire aftet UFC Belfast.

Absolute credit to Ireland and the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm starting to like this Mickey Gall characheter

https://twitter.com/mickeygall/status/778412717455605760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm starting to like this Mickey Gall characheter

https://twitter.com/mickeygall/status/778412717455605760

strikes me as picking on the soft kid in school, not saying sage is soft or anything but theres literally no point trying to trash talk him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Depp wrote: »
    strikes me as picking on the soft kid in school, not saying sage is soft or anything but theres literally no point trying to trash talk him

It will generate interest and money, why he called him out in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ush1 wrote: »

It's worked well for mcgregor so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

I know it will but it just seems unfair with sage cause its more or less a guarantee you wont get anything back :D

I know it will but it just seems unfair with sage cause its more or less a guarantee you wont get anything back :D

Just drumming up interest i spose,making sure he gets the fight.

If it happens i think Gall will probably be a big favourite if so,i will have a little sneaky bet on Sage,Gall is still pretty unexposed and Sage while looked poor on the ground in the fight he lost he will prove the sternest test of Galls very short career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

"Yes sir, Mr Gall!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Was flickin around the net when I stumbled on something pretty cool. Back in the day when the UFC was in tournament format there was alternates on standby in case of injury.

Here for you viewing pleasure is the fight between the two alternates at UFC 1. As far as I am aware this fight took place before the start of the tournament. If that is the case, then technically this is the first ever UFC fight!!

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Jason DeLucia vs Trent Jenkins. Enjoy.

https://ok.ru/video/27887798810

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Weidman seems to be out of 205, no details but apparently wants more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Jesus they're gonna end up with nobody on that card if they can't learn to negotiate. Iaquinta and Rockold. Now weidman. I'll be surprised if Cowboy stays on the card at this rate.

If true,strange times indeed,wouldn't a thought Weidman was a massive draw guess he is backing up his teammate Al too.

• Advertisement

newbbieb wrote: »
    If true,strange times indeed,wouldn't a thought Weidman was a massive draw guess he is backing up his teammate Al too.

And Gian Villante, another from the Serra-Longo camp withdrew from the 205 card today with a 'minor injury'
    Sounds like they're sticking together alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Don't worry lads Eddie and Khabib will save the card :pac:

Goddamn UFC, this was supposed to be momentous.

And Gian Villante, another from the Serra-Longo camp withdrew from the 205 card today with a 'minor injury'
    Sounds like they're sticking together alright.

First time we had any kind of united dissent towards the UFC,could be the beginning of something or possibly the ending of some UFC careers,who knows what way this plays out,but isn't Serra pretty tight with Dana right now on that show looking for a fight or is it still running,never watched it myself.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Don't worry lads Eddie and Khabib will save the card :pac:

yeah but what happens next week after Khabib injures his wrist signing the contract? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Zero-Cool wrote: »

So was UFC200 :rolleyes:

newbbieb wrote: »
    First time we had any kind of united dissent towards the UFC,could be the beginning of something or possibly the ending of some UFC careers,who knows what way this plays out,but isn't Serra pretty tight with Dana right now on that show looking for a fight or is it still running,never watched it myself.

Yeah they do seem close but money takes priority over loyalty in the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thus might put Conor "beg me" tweet into context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

yeah but what happens next week after Khabib injures his wrist signing the contract?

Or does his back tying his shoe laces????
    Even though he's wearing slip ons

brinty wrote: »
    Or does his back tying his shoe laces????
    Even though he's wearing slip ons

Seems like the UFC are very determined to protect him
    bubble_wrap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

205 announcement in next 30 minutes. ..

https://twitter.com/Sholler_UFC/status/778739625112121344

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement