Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    205 announcement in next 30 minutes. ..

https://twitter.com/Sholler_UFC/status/778739625112121344

any word yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Presser on Tuesday announcing full card apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

On the show itself it clearly nailed Eddie as in it said bout agreement was not returned by Alvarez by a certain deadline...but now scheduled to fight at 206 v same opponent Khabib :)

Mention of Conor was to say leg injury won't be on card.

Press conference live from MSG on Tuesday where Dana hopes to announce full card.

Sounds like Conor wanted more money so they threw him off and told Khabib it was his.
    Then Alvarez refused to sign because he doesn't want to fight Khabib so he's moved to 206.

It's practically WWE at this stage

• Advertisement

Sounds like Conor wanted more money so they threw him off and told Khabib it was his.
    Then Alvarez refused to sign because he doesn't want to fight Khabib so he's moved to 206.

It's practically WWE at this stage

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

We cant be far off fighter union.

To me the ufc should pay fighters a salary say 30k then the lower tiers cant complain about purse money although as independent contractors its probably not feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We cant be far off fighter union.

To me the ufc should pay fighters a salary say 30k then the lower tiers cant complain about purse money although as independent contractors its probably not feasible
    They get paid per fight, with a salary there's no incentive to fight more than once, or at all.

And the guys complaining about their purses, are getting more than 30k as it stands. They be mad to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

They should pay for the fighters training camps to take a bit of the cost burden off them, but obviously to an extent, not paying for camps to thailand etc. Possibly allow them an allowance then can claim or something similar. There going to lose a **** tonne of fighters going forward imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    They get paid per fight, with a salary there's no incentive to fight more than once, or at all.

And the guys complaining about their purses, are getting more than 30k as it stands. They be mad to accept that.

Maybe they would sit out and live on that amount but id be surprised. Fighters have lost a of income with reebok and it could help fill that gap.

I mean so they have a wage to live on then the purse can pay for fight camps etc.. Obviously there would be clauses to prevent sitting out but looking at raging al. He could have used that while rehabbing.

• Advertisement

At the minute they only pay for 1 hotel room and 2 flights. You don't often see fighters with only 1 cornerman. Double that would be fair.
    If the fight falls through and UFC can't find a replacement then they should be paid show bonus minimum.
    No fighting over doctors bills if a fighter gets injured, especially if you are recommending the doctor.
    Fighters shouldn't be forced to attend sumit-like meetings if unpaid. Send them the video.
    And obviously contracts should be watertight from both sides. Not just to the UFC's advantage.

I mean so they have a wage to live on then the purse can pay for fight camps etc..
    Sorry I thought you meant they get a 30k only.
    If you mean they get a wage and well as the fight purse, that's not really a salary. It's more like a retainer contract. There's no reason they couldn't do tat, the cost is the only issue.

Sorry I thought you meant they get a 30k only.
    If you mean they get a wage and well as the fight purse, that's not really a salary. It's more like a retainer contract. There's no reason they couldn't do tat, the cost is the only issue.

Well if you average out 3 fights per year. Its 10k per fight.

Is there a minimum show/ win money?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nevada Athletic Commission hearing set for 10th of October for Jon Jones, Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor.

JJ for his failed drug test and Nate and Conor for the incident at the presser last month.

Jones could get a suspension and fine from the NAC which would be unrelated to his case with USADA, which will be handled separately. McGregor and Diaz are looking at big fines and possibly community service.

Cyborg hits the scales at 140, looked rough and looked like she was about to fall over at times.

ASOT wrote: »
    Cyborg hits the scales at 140, looked rough and looked like she was about to fall over at times.
    141 apparently. That should be missed weight for a catchweight bout, but Brazilian commission and all.

She looked like death.
    CtCSSfLWIAAsUUV.jpg

141 apparently. That should be missed weight for a catchweight bout, but Brazilian commission and all.

She looked like death.
    CtCSSfLWIAAsUUV.jpg

My bad i had just read on facebook it was 140, yeah that should be weight missed so she even said herself it had to be 140. Ridiculous anyway considering the girl shes fighting is a 145r aswell.

Yeah I don't see what the point is. Be different if she was fighting a 135er.

Is she wants to fight at 135, she needs to lose weight, as in muscle mass.

The whole issue is that she doesn't want to fight at 135 but the UFC do because they want the Rousey fight, amongst other options. After this I think they'll just leave her on Invicta or open up the UFC 145 division

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

The whole issue is that she doesn't want to fight at 135 but the UFC do because they want the Rousey fight, amongst other options. After this I think they'll just leave her on Invicta or open up the UFC 145 division

after the holm fight I'd genuinely worry for rouseys safety if she took on cyborg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

She won't lose muscle mass, I think she's worried if she loses it she won't be able to get it back cleanly, especially with USADA.

The UFC are never going to bring in a 145 division, It took them long enough to fill out 135 and 115 and with the talent pool available they are much more likely to add 125 to the roster IMO.

She's probably happy to knock out cans over at Invicta at 145 for the rest of her career and take the odd fight at catch weight with the UFC. I'd like to see her face someone like Holm or Shevchenko at catchweight and see how she fares.

Lukker- wrote: »

She won't lose muscle mass, I think she's worried if she loses it she won't be able to get it back cleanly, especially with USADA
    If she moves to 135, she won't need if back. She'll have to make a permanent move down.
    Killing herself for poxy catchweight fights is dumb imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If she moves to 135, she won't need if back. She'll have to make a permanent move down.
    Killing herself for poxy catchweight fights is dumb imo

I agree completely. It's her mindset though, Lockhart says she feels if she loses the muscle mass she loses the power and explosiveness that defines her as a fighter.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I agree completely. It's her mindset though, Lockhart says she feels if she loses the muscle mass she loses the power and explosiveness that defines her as a fighter.
    Which is a dumb attitude imo. There are divisions for a reason. She can be a 35 or a 45 fighter. But not both.
    It's like McGregor going after the 135 title but not wanting to give up any size or power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone see Big Country kick John Mccarthy after the stoppage yesterday?

Would personally like to see him cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

weemcd wrote: »

Thought i read somewhere that they already decided there will be no action unless the Brazilian commission do something they said nothing will be done unless Big John makes an official complaint.

Seems like there should be some kind of punishment,one thing to hit an opponent after the bell but the ref sets an altogether different kind of precedent and seems weird,the stoppage wasn't that bad anyway seen loads worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

weemcd wrote: »

I agree.

Putting your hands on an official, for any reason, is way over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

weemcd wrote:

Punished yes. Cut no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Big Country has has a long running spat with Big John over late stoppages and breaking clinches when people are working and to be honest at this stage John just shouldn't be reffing his matches, there's no way he can remain unbaised in there with him.

For what it's worth, John was slow as feck, Bigfoot was out before he hit the canvas, there was no need for Roy to have to hit him several more times other than John not being on the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement