Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dumping ground for all the failed applicants to get on UFC 205!

Also, victim of UFC stacking NY, Toronto and Vegas in order to break PPV and revenue records for 2016.

Positive headline for the new owners and helps to mask the lack of draws on the roster (and the fact they are completely goosed if both Conor and Ronda got injured)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like Charlie Ward has been signed by the UFC too and will fight Randy Brown from Looking for a Fight on that Albany card!

http://www.ufc.com/news/Lewis-Abdurakhimov-Set-for-Main-Event-in-Albany
    Queens’ Randy Brown, who will be pitted against Ireland’s Charlie Ward in welterweight action.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hendo111

Danis is gone full delusional since linking up with McGregor,on about slapping people and throwing up money signs calling mma fighters bums ha I know people who have trained with him and he was never like that pretty weird of him to act like Conor while competing in BJJ (its childsplay compared to mma).

Paully D wrote: »
    Looks like Charlie Ward has been signed by the UFC too and will fight Randy Brown from Looking for a Fight on that Albany card!

http://www.ufc.com/news/Lewis-Abdurakhimov-Set-for-Main-Event-in-Albany

Jaysus they will sign anyone,Ward is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Looks like Love/Hate including some MMA.....

I think that's known as "a joke".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

hendo111 wrote: »
    Jaysus they will sign anyone,Ward is garbage.

Why does Conor hang around with the likes of ward and queally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

They are his club mates who he has trained with for years. Some people might even call them "friends". Might be a strange concept to some.

Well it has got him on the verge of 2 ufc titles so its doing him no harm in fairness,maybe they are good training partners but just leagues below him in the fight game,I see Ward a few times awful cardio,see him getting KTFO in a tournament in England one time,fair play to Conor though he got him in hes loyal as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Danis is gone full delusional since linking up with McGregor,on about slapping people and throwing up money signs calling mma fighters bums ha I know people who have trained with him and he was never like that pretty weird of him to act like Conor while competing in BJJ (its childsplay compared to mma).

I know people who've sparred with him and they say he's simply not ready for anything beyond a local pro event if he tries to transition to MMA. Not even at BAMMA/CW level at the minute, never mind his UFC talk.

i had a friend growing up who was very similar to McGregor. Very confident, self assured, easy going. I ended up during my teenage years trying to dress a bit more like him, talk like him, etc. Any psychology experts might have a name for it but it's not just Danis..... they're all at it. Dylan Tuke, Ryan Curtis, all those next generation lads talk, walk, act like Conor.

It's easy to get sucked in.

Put it another way - have ya ever gone down the country to Kerry for a weekend and by the end of the weekend your accent is changing a bit during conversations? It's almost a subconscious thing!! To imitate those you're surrounded by.

Anyway my point is Danis is young, 22 or 23, and he'll grow out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I know people who've sparred with him and they say he's simply not ready for anything beyond a local pro event if he tries to transition to MMA. Not even at BAMMA/CW level at the minute, never mind his UFC talk.

It's all bluster. Was on with Helwani after the Diaz fight saying that while he sees a future in MMA, his focus at the minute is still jiu jitsu and he'd only be starting out striking. He'd do well to cut down the trash talk nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Haha jaysus Abdurakhimov was awful a few weeks ago on the Lineker card,even more gas is he suffered a KO to Timmy the tache Johnson who's on the Belfast undercard :D

i had a friend growing up who was very similar to McGregor. Very confident, self assured, easy going. I ended up during my teenage years trying to dress a bit more like him, talk like him, etc. Any psychology experts might have a name for it but it's not just Danis..... they're all at it. Dylan Tuke, Ryan Curtis, all those next generation lads talk, walk, act like Conor.

It's easy to get sucked in.

Put it another way - have ya ever gone down the country to Kerry for a weekend and by the end of the weekend your accent is changing a bit during conversations? It's almost a subconscious thing!! To imitate those you're surrounded by.

Anyway my point is Danis is young, 22 or 23, and he'll grow out of it.

Tis no harm copying the man who made millions with this persona in fairness but anyone with half a head spots the copy cats a mile away,

I know Ryan hes always been confident in fairness although he does give the McGregor act a bit,Tuke is a different story I follow him because hes the opposite you will never hear him talk about Gucci flip flops or any material crap Im willing his career to go far,

Hopefully they find themselves anyways as they say theres one Conor.....

Noticed someone tweet that Ward is on a 3 fight win streak but those opponents are a combined 5-6. Lots of very low level pros. Ordinarily, I think it's fair to say that I don't think Ward would be even on the UFC's radar.

A favour from Conor to his friend after an obviously tough year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Embarrassing main event. One of the worst ever.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/787068391211147264?lang=en

is that seriously the main event, wow, i know all these events were watering down cards but fcuk me, that is dire

Noticed someone tweet that Ward is on a 3 fight win streak but those opponents are a combined 5-6. Lots of very low level pros. Ordinarily, I think it's fair to say that I don't think Ward would be even on the UFC's radar.

A favour from Conor to his friend after an obviously tough year?
    I would imagine Conor stipulated they sign Charlie Ward if he fights at UFC 205. I'd say it was part of the negotiations. Fail to see how/why they sign him otherwise. I'd say he also arranged Peter Queally to get on Belfast until McColgan beat him.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    is that seriously the main event, wow, i know all these events were watering down cards but fcuk me, that is dire

It's the worst card of the year. Arguably.

But there are legitimate mitigating factors. They are stacking UFC 205 and 207 with Ronda's return, in order to break PPV and Revenue records.

So the scrap-heaps have to go somewhere else. Albany seems a good fit for that because NY won't grumble too much after getting an amazing UFC 205.

New Owners want big money cards apparantly so expect stacked ppv's and absolute rubbish fightnight and fightpass cards,I prefer the cards spread evenly take Joanna off 205 and stick her on as main event for that Lewis card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

New Owners want big money cards apparantly so expect stacked ppv's and absolute rubbish fightnight and fightpass cards,I prefer the cards spread evenly take Joanna off 205 and stick her on as main event for that Lewis card.

That'd be going a bit far IMO. Joanna's somewhat of a draw now since her season on TUF, not a PPV headliner but above FightPass main event material. As long as she's champ, she'll comfortably remain on that co-main spot under big fights.

martyos121 wrote: »
    That'd be going a bit far IMO. Joanna's somewhat of a draw now since her season on TUF, not a PPV headliner but above FightPass main event material. As long as she's champ, she'll comfortably remain on that co-main spot under big fights.

Yeah true maybe stick Khabib v MJ or Cowboy as the main event on that one,they will all be forgotten about under a Conor fight never mind one with Wonderboy woodley as co main,

200 fell apart a bit but the stacking of that didnt work out good fights like Assuncao TJ forgotten about Mous v santos too,hard to balance tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That'll be the case until they agree new TV deals in 2019. They will be looking for a lots more $$ whoever they sign with and we'll start getting good Fight Nights again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Why isn't Lewis getting someone decent? He just beat Roy Nelson now he's fighting someone a step or 2 below Roy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

Why isn't Lewis getting someone decent? He just beat Roy Nelson now he's fighting someone a step or 2 below Roy.
    true he ain't even top 15
    Personally would love to see Lewis vs Ngoou

https://themaclife.com/conor-mcgregor-its-an-honour-for-me-to-help-out-loyal-members-of-my-team/

Confirmed that it was McGregor who got Ward into the UFC. Conor was even the one who informed him that he'd be making his debut :pac:
    Speaking to McGregor today on the announcement and his involvement in getting the deal done, he told The Mac Life that: “It’s an honour for me to help out loyal members of my team and then to just sit back and watch them go and achieve their dreams. It’s an experience that in turn motivates me right back.”

He moved on, “I’m excited for the fight and for what the future holds for Charlie and for the rest of Team McGregor. These are exciting times and we are just getting started here at McGregor Inc. Stay tuned.”

Team McGregor has a proven track record, and it seems by aligning yourself with both McGregor and Paradigm, things can change rather quickly. As Ward pointed out, everything happened ‘really fast’ and that he was only notified by McGregor that he’ll be making his UFC debut in Albany, New York ‘a couple’ of days ago.

Conor must be a great friend to have to be fair. Such a loyal guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭nomadchocolate

https://themaclife.com/conor-mcgregor-its-an-honour-for-me-to-help-out-loyal-members-of-my-team/

Confirmed that it was McGregor who got Ward into the UFC. Conor was even the one who informed him that he'd be making his debut :pac:

Conor must be a great friend to have to be fair. Such a loyal guy!

Diaz is right though, Conor's training partners are ****e.

What is "the mac life" is it Conors BJ PENN.com? Seems as insufferable anyway. If so why Mac and not Mc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

We just need him to start saying 'themaclife.com' in his post fight interviews and walking off.

Bjpenn.com used to actually be a decent site. It's unbearable now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What is "the mac life" is it Conors BJ PENN.com? Seems as insufferable anyway. If so why Mac and not Mc?

Think its a way of employing some of his friends as much as anything! Doesn't seem like he's planning on making it into some media monster. Mac life is definitely more commercial than McLife that would look like something from McDonalds.

jimmii wrote: »
    Think its a way of employing some of his friends as much as anything! Doesn't seem like he's planning on making it into some media monster. Mac life is definitely more commercial than McLife that would look like something from McDonalds.

I get ya, still terrible though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I get ya, still terrible though

I'd do the same if I were him in fairness. He can help people help themselves instead of just giving money out all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement