Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Mellor wrote: »
    It was a split, but that scorecard that went to TJ was bizarre. There's no way he took that 49-46

The Bisping-Hendo fight showed how the 10-point must system you can legitimately come up with wide-ranging scores.

I scored Bisping-Hendo 49-46 for Bisping but there's definite arguments that you could give Hendo round 2 and a 10-10 in round 5 due to the takedown so those scorecards could easily have read anywhere from 49-46 bisping to 48-48 even all the way to 48-47 Hendo if you awarded a 10-8 in round 1.

I personally had Cruz winning the fight 3 rounds to 2 with an argument for 4 rounds to 1 but i can see how some judges scored TJ's pressure highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Bisping-Hendo fight showed how the 10-point must system you can legitimately come up with wide-ranging scores.

I scored Bisping-Hendo 49-46 for Bisping but there's definite arguments that you could give Hendo round 2 and a 10-10 in round 5 due to the takedown so those scorecards could easily have read anywhere from 49-46 bisping to 48-48 even all the way to 48-47 Hendo if you awarded a 10-8 in round 1.

I personally had Cruz winning the fight 3 rounds to 2 with an argument for 4 rounds to 1 but i can see how some judges scored TJ's pressure highly.

Given they're judging on the spot, without replays (I think) the fact the round is five minutes long makes it all the harder.

The second round in Bisping-Hendo 2 for example. Hendo was dominated with the exception of the knockdown. And the knockdown in itself was not particularly severe, similar to McGregor's on Diaz. Not sure flash knockdowns but not enough, in my opinion, for the damage to outweigh the other scoring factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

49-47, 49-46, 48-47 are all reasonably legitimate scores in that one.
    But 48-47 Hendo would have been pretty bad. Requires some weird scoring.

One judge score Cruz 49-46
    Another scored TJ 49-46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Mellor wrote: »
    49-47, 49-46, 48-47 are all reasonably legitimate scores in that one.
    But 48-47 Hendo would have been pretty bad. Requires some weird scoring.

One judge score Cruz 49-46
    Another scored TJ 49-46

Yeah i definitely lean to 49-46 Cruz partly because TJ really wasn't connecting with his power shots. Dom is so slippery and hard to hit.

But, i guess some of it depends on where the Judge is sat. Some of TJ's power shots were slipped by millimeters and if a Judge is sat at a certain angle then it's not always clear if they connect or not.

I genuinely believe Judges should not be sat Octagon-side. They should be in a private, sound-proofed room watching a live-feed with no commentary, with an independent observer overseeing the judging.

Often a Judge will presume a shot connected if the crowd cheers. Great example is the Diaz flurry at the end of Round 3, where the crowd went bananas but on re-watch very little of substance landed. I highly doubt he gets a 10-8 if that round was watched in a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Cruz vs Aldo UFC 207 superfight rumour

• Advertisement

empacher wrote: »

For featherweight belt if McGregor wins and is made vacate...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Not much of a superfight, Aldo vs Petis would do better numbers. Cruz would be holding up the division for a fight that prob does 400k buys when he already fought Faber in a pointless bad blood fight. With Garbrandt supposedly next in line then, TJ Dillashaw would be rightly infuriated, especially considering he's no longer champ and only makes 20/20.

I'd love to see it though but I reckon Aldo wins fairly handily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

empacher wrote:

The very trustworthy Brazilian media outlets. Don't believe it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

TJ getting shut down by Dom, really wouldnt g
    want to get in a fight with him inside the octagon or on the internet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLyy1pHjBLR/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not much of a superfight, Aldo vs Petis would do better numbers. Cruz would be holding up the division for a fight that prob does 400k buys when he already fought Faber in a pointless bad blood fight. With Garbrandt supposedly next in line then, TJ Dillashaw would be rightly infuriated, especially considering he's no longer champ and only makes 20/20.

I'd love to see it though but I reckon Aldo wins fairly handily.

I'd much rather see Cruz Aldo. Pettis has no chance vs Aldo, absolutely none. Awful match up for him.

Who cares about ppv buys if the fight will be good?
    Wasn't Faber number 2 or 3 in the rankings when he fought Cruz?

Cody has beat nobody, so over hyped at the moment. Does not deserve a shot at all.

Even TJ crying over a shot is nonsense. This thing of champions getting immediate rematches or one win and then sit out demanding a shot is rubbish. Should have to win 2-3 fights to climb back to a shot imo.

Bar people like Ronda, Anderson or Aldo who arguably deserved a rematch such was the length and ease of their dominance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know it's hypocritical on my part because I can't wait for the Alvarez v McGregor bout, but is anyone else getting sick of the "superfight" culture which seems to be creeping into the UFC now?

Joe Silva is very much against them and it seems to be the main reason why he is leaving, as the new owners see superfights as a big thing for them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Paully D wrote: »
    I know it's hypocritical on my part because I can't wait for the Alvarez v McGregor bout, but is anyone else getting sick of the "superfight" culture which seems to be creeping into the UFC now?

Joe Silva is very much against them and it seems to be the main reason why he is leaving, as the new owners see superfights as a big thing for them going forward.

If they have a load of superfights, how many realistically can they have, they should also be building the next tier of fighters to make a superfight.

Cant have multiple title holders as it would take away title fights.

Jeremy Botter is saying TUF is to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ASOT wrote: »
    Jeremy Botter is saying TUF is to be cancelled.

Saw the spoiler for this season so I haven't really been keeping up with it this season (first time in a long time), but that's a real shame.

Very early days of course, and there's always going to be a resistance to change, but I'm not liking what I see from the new owners so far. I thought they would keep it ticking over in the early stages and change things slowly but surely, but they're tearing things apart a few weeks in!

Saw the spoiler for this season so I haven't really been keeping up with it this season (first time in a long time), but that's a real shame.

Very early days of course, and there's always going to be a resistance to change, but I'm not liking what I see from the new owners so far.

The new ones have been terrible, I havnt been watching at all! Would you mind pming me the spoiler ?

Paully D wrote:

Its a tough one coz i love to see top guys in their respective divisions fight eachother.

I think it depends. If a division has very few contenders the superfights can give a division time to catch up and generate some new talent. If Jones came back and dominated LHW it would be no harm for him to take on a HW top guy and give both divisions time to push on.

Very early days of course, and there's always going to be a resistance to change, but I'm not liking what I see from the new owners so far. I thought they would keep it ticking over in the early stages and change things slowly but surely, but they're tearing things apart a few weeks in!

Disagree, it's been bad for a good while. Repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

would love to see cruz aldo also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Its no shame its been awful for years and nobody watches it. The format is stale and in todays day and age the guys should be allowed bring their camps with them. Especially with this seasons 'Champions' series.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SeanieMon

Superfights are creeping in a bit, but in general, I feel the majority of people wanna see them. Surely an Aldo v Cruz fight should interest the vast majority of fans. I always felt that Cruz would be the perfect fighter to move up weight and fit in very easily. He has the frame for FTW and was always a little larger than his opponents in terms of height. His reach was his big advantage in that BW division because it was far superior than the majority of other fighters in it and coupled with his movement and counter-style it was extremely effective. He took **** all damage in those fights either apart from the knee problems that plagued him but he seems to have recovered very well and he certainly has the style to slide in at FTW and it would without doubt be exciting to see him paired with someone with the explosiveness and power that Jose Aldo possesses. It would heat up a bit with Holloway, Pettis, Aldo and Cruz all in contention for the belt if Conor relinquishes it. And the Korean Zombie is back too so all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

There has been no super fights at all lately RDA pulled out of one for 196,McGregor at 205 is the first should it go ahead,everyone talks about going up a division but when it comes to it they never do how many times have we heard of Jones going to HW,GSP V Anderson,Aldo Pettis,Ronda Cyborg,they dont happen.

Cruz v Cody at 207 in the works, so that puts that "superfight" rumour to bed.

ASOT wrote:
    Cruz v Cody at 207 in the works, so that puts that "superfight" rumour to bed.

Was never gonna happen. Cruz v Cody. Cain v Werdum. Ronda v Nunez. Another stacked card!

Was never gonna happen. Cruz v Cody. Cain v Werdum. Ronda v Nunez. Another stacked card!

If Cruz and Cain but make it to the PPV i'll be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Its no shame its been awful for years and nobody watches it. The format is stale and in todays day and age the guys should be allowed bring their camps with them. Especially with this seasons 'Champions' series.

I agree the series as a whole has become super stale, repetitive and boring, but the fights and fighters on this season are on a different level to what we've seen in a good while tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

TimRiggins wrote: »

I agree the series as a whole has become super stale, repetitive and boring, but the fights and fighters on this season are on a different level to what we've seen in a good while tbh.
    But we could have just had those fighters join the ufc roster and put those fights on. Exhibition bouts are bull****

Beersmith wrote: »
    But we could have just had those fighters join the ufc roster and put those fights on. Exhibition bouts are bull****

Yeah my problem with it is that these guys are Champions surely they've earned the right to bring their camps with them and fly to Vegas for the fights, and 3 round fights so they can actually go down on their record.

TUF should be shelved for a few years. Let the local scene develop on it's own and come back when there is some new talent available with a reformatted show. It had become incredibly stale over the last few years and was almost like a throwback to reality TV in the noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lukker- wrote: »
    TUF should be shelved for a few years. Let the local scene develop on it's own and come back when there is some new talent available with a reformatted show. It had become incredibly stale over the last few years and was almost like a throwback to reality TV in the noughties.

Or....turn that TV space into a show that showcases some of the best fights from the local scene that week

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    Or....turn that TV space into a show that showcases some of the best fights from the local scene that week

That's essentially what they are doing, Looking for a Fight has been picked up by Netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement