Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's essentially what they are doing, Looking for a Fight has been picked up by Netflix.

this is more "man v food", and "idiots at the ranch" than it is about the fights. fight footage is less than 3 minutes. This show is already stale imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Beersmith wrote: »
    But we could have just had those fighters join the ufc roster and put those fights on. Exhibition bouts are bull****

to put them on the roster, i'm guessing they have to be released from their current promotion, so have to be bought out. I'd imagine for TUF, they can just get an exemption for a few months and then the UFC signs the ones they like. I'd say some of those guys will never fight in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

this is more "man v food", and "idiots at the ranch" than it is about the fights. fight footage is less than 3 minutes. This show is already stale imo.

With Netflix they'll flesh it out more I guess.

WME wouldn't be making the move unless TUF was trending down and Looking for a Fight was trending upwards, so the public obviously think otherwise.

They do the production of TUF themselves, I think this is more cost-cutting. By pushing Looking for a fight to Netflix they no longer have to cover the cost of producing the show themselves.

Hope they keep the Embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Bigfoots been released, i really hope he retires.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's been KO or TKO in the first round 8 times :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

When it comes to "superfights" GSP vs Silva, Silva vs Jones and Jones vs Cain when they were all champs were the only fights that would qualify as superfights.

Those fights would generate massive hype and ppv numbers.

Cruz vs Aldo or Cruz vs Johnson just wouldn't be big enough to be considered "super".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gunnar injured and out of if Belfast, moussasi v hall will main event instead. Bollox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gunnar injured and out of if Belfast, moussasi v hall will main event instead. Bollox!!

Yeah I'm gutted.

I think it's a good replacement, especially this late. But I think Mousassi wins this one pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I would love to see Big Foot going to bellator, be able to take what he genuinely needs, and get a few bums to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Better fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,339 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mousasi Hall is solid, but I'm gutted to lose the Nelson fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would love to see Big Foot going to bellator, be able to take what he genuinely needs, and get a few bums to beat.

He would be absolutely annihilated by anyone in the Bellator top 5 in fairness. The TRT or whatever he was on wont be much help to him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

John_D80 wrote: »
    He would be absolutely annihilated by anyone in the Bellator top 5 in fairness. The TRT or whatever he was on wont be much help to him anymore.

I think your massively overrating the Bellator Heavyweight fighters. Bigfoot would do alright there on TRT I think. He'll probably fight Fedor again though.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I think your massively overrating the Bellator Heavyweight fighters. Bigfoot would do alright there on TRT I think. He'll probably fight Fedor again though.

I think he is gone beyond the point where TRT or anything ''similar'' will be of any help to him, TBH.

He's little more than a walking heavy bag now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think he is gone beyond the point where TRT or anything ''similar'' will be of any help to him, TBH.

He's little more than a walking heavy bag now.

I know he's been dropped alot but I thought he actually didn't look that bad against Roy Nelson before he got KOed. The Bellator Heavyweights are horrendous aswell, he'd do well there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Vitor would most definitely benefit from it I agree and probably Chael as well among others. Would being allowed to resume TRT really bring Bigfoot back to anything resembling his former self? I just dont think so. If anything I think it would just prolong his career to the point that he ends up getting seriously hurt.

He was good in his day, and a lot better than some people give him credit for but I think Bigfoot is just too badly beat up and I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC offered him a chance to retire with dignity before they let it be known that they cut him loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Petermc83

darced wrote: »

Does it really give someone that much of an advantage?? Has there been any tests or studies carried out?
    You always see the weigh in pics of someone who used trt before n after and it's a slight difference but would you really have this superhuman strength if you were taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Petermc83 wrote: »
    Does it really give someone that much of an advantage?? Has there been any tests or studies carried out?
    You always see the weigh in pics of someone who used trt before n after and it's a slight difference but would you really have this superhuman strength if you were taking it?

Look at trt vitor and then non trt vitor.

He may be the best example of what trt changes

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Petermc83

Look at trt vitor and then non trt vitor.

He may be the best example of what trt changes

I'd argue that age has kicked in for him too tho! I'm sure trt doesn't improve your ability to take a shot to the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Petermc83 wrote:
    I'd argue that age has kicked in for him too tho! I'm sure trt doesn't improve your ability to take a shot to the head.

Its small margins at that level. The ability to take a shot might always be there by the trt adds that explosiveness, power and strength. Pre and post trt vitor are world's apart. Same for Overeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Taking steroids makes you stronger. That's conclusively proven I'd have thought. Surprised it's questioned tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Petermc83 wrote: »

Ask big foot did it help. Hes been getting the ****e knocked out of him. He took 5 rounds or mark hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Feel sorry for bigfoot he was one of the few who genuinely needed it, should have hanged it up once it was banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There's one of those UFC top 10 videos on YouTube, can't remember if it's KOs or submissions but there's a shot of roided up Carlos Newton with one of the most defined biceps I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Vitor would most definitely benefit from it I agree and probably Chael as well among others. Would being allowed to resume TRT really bring Bigfoot back to anything resembling his former self? I just dont think so. If anything I think it would just prolong his career to the point that he ends up getting seriously hurt.

I think both Overeem and BigFoot would be straight-up killers again on TRT.

It's worth remembering one thing when it comes to Bigfoot.

He needed TRT.

He suffers from acromegaly which causes all sorts of glandular problems. It's also the disease that killed Andre the Giant. When he had the tumour in his pituitary gland removed, his testosterone was so low he was reportedly lactating and almost capable of breast-feeding.

On the whole, banning TRT was the only option to ensure the fairness of the sport. Most guys on TRT did not need it to deal with medical problems.

However, you have to feel sorry for BigFoot. His TRT-use merely allowed him to compete on a level-playing-field with everyone else who doesn't suffer from acromegaly. I'm not totally defending him because he also popped for a horse steroid and mis-used his TUE for TRT. So he did cheat at times too.

He 100% needs to retire for his health and well-being - although Bellator and other promotions will likely turn a blind-eye to his TRT-use, so perhaps he can continue on and make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There's one of those UFC top 10 videos on YouTube, can't remember if it's KOs or submissions but there's a shot of roided up Carlos Newton with one of the most defined biceps I've ever seen.

How about this Wand one. . .

oqdQhaT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

callaway92 wrote: »

oqdQhaT.gif

Ha, look at vitor in his early 20's. Or phil baroni

oqdQhaT.gif

My god, when I think back to the Pride days. Were any of the top guys there clean I wonder??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

oqdQhaT.gif

My god, when I think back to the Pride days. Were any of the top guys there clean I wonder??
    Very little. It was in their contracts that they couldn't be tested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement