Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It's frustrating to see. Wasn't Ian McCall in line for a potential shot at 135 and ended up losing to Lineker (who missed weight) which eliminated two potential No.1 contenders in one go? I see the same happening at 145.

I think you've got your weight classes mixed up but yeah, that was bad. Anyway he missed by a half pound once out of 4 bantamweight fights. I know his history at 125 was a joke but we shouldn't banish him from a title fight for missing weight once. He's one more good win away from the title shot (granted he makes weight), him vs TJ would be fun and makes sense.

Anyway fair play to Cody, it'd be interesting if he could stun Cruz with a shot early. But Cruz by decision is highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think you've got your weight classes mixed up but yeah, that was bad. Anyway he missed by a half pound once out of 4 bantamweight fights. I know his history at 125 was a joke but we shouldn't banish him from a title fight for missing weight once. He's one more good win away from the title shot (granted he makes weight), him vs TJ would be fun and makes sense.

Anyway fair play to Cody, it'd be interesting if he could stun Cruz with a shot early. But Cruz by decision is highly likely.

Spot on. I meant 125 and 135.
    But yeah I'm ok with seeing Cody get the shot. Hopefully TJ keeps it going too so we see him fight Cruz again. Assuming Cruz wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

MMA effectively banned in France today, apart from their own take on rules in combat sports...the actual Octagon or Cage being used for bouts to take place a no go with only rings or carpet deemed appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

MMA effectively banned in France today, apart from their own take on rules in combat sports...the actual Octagon or Cage being used for bouts to take place a no go with only rings or carpet deemed appropriate.

It's not like the UFC were ever able to get into France so it won't change a whole lot really.

The new owners apparently are turning the UFC into a North American 'league' style thing.

The days of regular shows in Holland, Germany, UK, Ireland , mainland Europe are over.

We'll get 1, maybe 2 UK shows a year. 1 or 2 in continental Europe and the other 30 in the USA.

They are cutting the number of events next year from the mid-40s of 2016 to 30-32 events, with up to 28 of those events being in North America.

New owners have obviously decided the way forward is North America and to abandon (for now) ventures into new markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Seery's reaction to not being on the main card :pac:

https://twitter.com/NeilSeeryMMA/status/791308497484910593

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Holloway Pettis booked for 206 in Toronto

Holloway being a victim of goings on at 145 between Conor not defending and Aldo ''retiring'' fair play to him he will fight anyone,good fight for Pettis someone who will stand and trade for once,although his cardio looked bad at 145 last time big chance for him,hope Max wins myself.

If he beats Pettis I don't know what else the lad has to do for a shot. Hopefully Conor beats Eddie and drops the 145 belt. I'd imagine it would be Aldo v the winner of that. Max has been a victim of circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Rooting for max in this one. Great fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Great f*cking fight.

Pettis gone win by sub

• Registered Users Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aldo shmaldo, once Conor beats Eddie and drops the FW belt, I hope there they let Max Anto fight for it. Such a great matchup.

• Advertisement

Nick Diaz and Robbie Lawler would really complete that card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Unreal fight, can't wait. Fair play to Max for keeping active, he should have a title shot by now. I have Pettis for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gamebred wrote: »
    Nick Diaz and Robbie Lawler would really complete that card now.

Rumours tonight of diaz v bisping at 206

ricero wrote: »
    Rumours tonight of diaz v bisping at 206

Im a massive Nick fan but it'd be a joke if he skipped the que and got a shot considering his lay off and lack of wins,doesnt deserve but when did that ever stop the ufc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Im a massive Nick fan but it'd be a joke if he skipped the que and got a shot considering his lay off and lack of wins,doesnt deserve but when did that ever stop the ufc.

It'd be funny to see him out point Bisping and then get choked out by Maia.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMCja58BfLk/

Mike Perry is a ****ing mad man pmsl

I think he'll spark Jouban.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Christ those deadlifts are shocking, how a professional athlete can be allowed to do this is beyond me.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Christ those deadlifts are shocking, how a professional athlete can be allowed to do this is beyond me.

Two words;

Crossfit gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

You think that's bad?

Here's Tony Ferguson

https://cdn-w1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/g52e.mp4?token=1478732291_5148b485911f814ae026801f01f30c6880a3f502

"That a boy Tony, keep that back nice and rounded!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Lukker- wrote: »

You think that's bad?

Here's Tony Ferguson

https://cdn-w1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/g52e.mp4?token=1478732291_5148b485911f814ae026801f01f30c6880a3f502

Ah WTF

The videos Sage put out were shocking. If he carries on lifting like that he'll be in a wheelchair by 30.

As for Perry, i've seriously warmed to him lately. At first, i thought he was an utter scumbag after what happened at the Lim weigh-in and the racism from his corner.

But the last couple of interviews with Ariel he actually seems ok and a good sense of humour.

His woman is a bit of a peach as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't get it. Or is that the joke?
    Two words;

Crossfit gyms.
    That's clearly not a Crossfit gym though.
    Just ****ty from a guy who should know better, or at least have a guy around him who knows better
    Lukker- wrote: »
    You think that's bad?

Here's Tony Ferguson

Holy **** that's awful, and probably not even that heavy judging by the whopper bumpers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The videos Sage put out were shocking. If he carries on lifting like that he'll be in a wheelchair by 30.

Ah come on, where's the links. The lads are showing you up.

Mellor wrote: »
    Ah come on, where's the links. The lads are showing you up.

1 minute into this video. :D

https://twitter.com/ZPGIFs/status/791451928190476289

Ha Aldo stung by the bollox I'd say reebok got onto him what a coward the man goes back kissing ufc ass then likes something anti reebok and makes an apology for such a great fighter he does little things out the cage that annoys me.

https://twitter.com/ZPGIFs/status/791451928190476289

Ha Aldo stung by the bollox I'd say reebok got onto him what a coward the man goes back kissing ufc ass then likes something anti reebok and makes an apology for such a great fighter he does little things out the cage that annoys me.

Himself and RDA haven't had the best of years really.

Obviously Aldo loses the belt in dramatic style last December, then he doesn't shut up about the McGregor rematch, then he turns it down in February on short notice, then he beats Frankie and has a tantrum when he doesn't get the rematch.

RDA injured before the Red Panty night then loses the belt to Eddie, and potentially going 0-2 against Ferguson.

When you factor in Jacare losing to Romero, Anderson going 0-2, Renan Barao's career falling apart, you'd have to say it hasn't been an amazing year for Brazilians at the middle-to-lighter weights.

When you factor in Jacare losing to Romero, Anderson going 0-2, Renan Barao's career falling apart, you'd have to say it hasn't been an amazing year for Brazilians at the middle-to-lighter weights.

Been an amazing year for USADA though ;);) Implication intended.

Nogueira retired. Rua retired? Vitor declining. JDS hit and miss. Machida banned (I think?). Yep Brazilian MMA has definitely taken a dip.

Been an amazing year for USADA though ;);) Implication intended.

Nogueira retired. Rua retired? Vitor declining. JDS hit and miss. Machida banned (I think?). Yep Brazilian MMA has definitely taken a dip.

USADA definitely 100% one factor in demise of Brazilian MMA.

The one Brazilian it strongly benefited is Maia.

Nobody is going to tell me either that Cris Cyborg wasn't juicing for many years. She was only caught once.

I'm not blaming them or labeling them as cheats, exactly. It's a cultural difference. Steroid use is completely normalised in Brazil, in similar ways to the Irish drinking culture. Both can be really bad things but if you grow up with it being normalised, it feels less like a blatant attempt to cheat (like Michelle Smith for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

USADA definitely 100% one factor in demise of Brazilian MMA.

The one Brazilian it strongly benefited is Maia.

Nobody is going to tell me either that Cris Cyborg wasn't juicing for many years. She was only caught once.

I'm not blaming them or labeling them as cheats, exactly. It's a cultural difference. Steroid use is completely normalised in Brazil, in similar ways to the Irish drinking culture. Both can be really bad things but if you grow up with it being normalised, it feels less like a blatant attempt to cheat (like Michelle Smith for example).

Id blame them. Taking steriods when you get in a cage is blatant cheating.

Drinking might be normalized here but I am not gonna show up to work pissed and see how much damage I can do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement