Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most likely they are doing it in the fight too. It's just that in the training video there's a mic on the camera. And in the fight there isn't.

Say way the TUF fights sound so weird, cos you are picking up the sounds of their strikes, stepping, etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Off the top of my head Holly Holm does it most in fights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I imagine it depends on their backgrounds as well - its known as a 'kiai' in karate, in boxing they tend to make a 'shhh' sound and as you said McGregor makes that 'hai' sound. The purpose is the same for them all, to help with breathing and exhaling on the kick/punch. When they are hitting pads they are focusing just on the pad and hitting it hard (I believe studies show when you use a 'kiai' that you can hit the pads up to 10% harder than without).

Obviously in a fight its different, both you and the other fighter are moving around so you are focusing on your breathing, movement and the other fighter. With plenty of fighters you will hear the sharp exhaling 'shh' sound when they punch and as Mellor said a lot of the time you don't its just they aren't near the camera man and mic. Some make sounds when they kick in a fight too but I imagine in the fight they have so much to focus on they just do the sharp exhale and don't bother with the sound, when they do its probably an automatic response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

This could be a a dumb question...

When fighters hit pads, they make all sorts of grunts, Conor's one being "HAI!" but I feel like I've never heard fighters make the same noises in a fight?

The reason I ask is because if they do make a noise wouldn't the opponent have a tell or warning?

Its to control breathing. That you exhale forcefully when throwing shots. Different people or difference arts tend to have different noises but its essentially all the same.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when learning to fight is a tendency to hold their breath when throwing shots and exhausting themselves. The forceful exhale solves this problem and allows figures to regulate their breathing while exerting force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Who won ebi after?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Depp wrote: »
    Who won ebi after?

Didnt get to watch it yet but the result was
    Garry Tonon beat Vinny Magalhaes via overtime fastest escape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Bit of a joke, fighters take 3-4 month breaks between fights so 1 year isn't a lot. Personally I think he's dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bit of a joke, fighters take 3-4 month breaks between fights so 1 year isn't a lot. Personally I think he's dirty.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/795689449241743360

If anyone actually took a dickpill its Jones. Cost him £9m+ too. What a waste of talent.

He's not short of the money anyways ive zero sympathy for him his legacy is tainted with the rest of the guilty Anderson included.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    He's not short of the money anyways ive zero sympathy for him his legacy is tainted with the rest of the guilty Anderson included.

Don't know what your personal vendetta is against Jones but if USADA say he's likely not a cheat its not. If he comes back and cleans out the LW Division again he'll likely go down as the GOAT, No matter what you say.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Don't know what your personal vendetta is against Jones but if USADA say he's likely not a cheat its not. If he comes back and cleans out the LW Division again he'll likely go down as the GOAT, No matter what you say.

Dont have any vendetta,I dont believe the sex drug contamination story the same way I dont believe Andersons story.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Dont have any vendetta,I dont believe the sex drug contamination story the same way I dont believe Andersons story.

Anderson's story was crazy, Jones never took fighting seriously and has actually looked way better since USADA came in, anything he's failed for has been a recreation drug and USADA have said he's likely not a cheat which they have never done for any fighter before. There are many cheats in the game but Jones, all his flaws aside is hardly one of them.

Do people really believe the dickpill spiel?

A number of things make me wary about the Jones situation - abnormally low test ratios during the first Cormier fight, the rumours that he hid under the cage when USADA came to Jacksons, he didn't look the same at all against OSP in his last fight, his brother Arthur was suspended for PEDs recently.

Now you've got the oestrogen blockers situation, Jon Jones must be an extremely unfortunate man if all of these were by chance.

A number of things make me wary about the Jones situation - abnormally low test ratios during the first Cormier fight, the rumours that he hid under the cage when USADA came to Jacksons, he didn't look the same at all against OSP in his last fight, his brother Arthur was suspended for PEDs recently.

Now you've got the oestrogen blockers situation, Jon Jones must be an extremely unfortunate man if all of these were by chance.

Yeah but we know how stupid he is. To be honest I was wary of him too but it's very strange for USADA to come out and say a fighter is likely not a cheat and I really think he's just that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Chael just announced on the MMA Hour that Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson are to have an EBI-rules match in 29 days time.

That's one way to keep active during a ban :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gamebred wrote:
    Pmsl the Anderson excuse worked.

He got the maximum ban didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Delighted for jon jones. Hes a horrible human being who has no respect

I hope he fights Rumble on his return, if he fights the way he did against OSP he'll get KO'd.

I like watching him fight, he's a superstar and great to watch. But I think he's a drug cheat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Does the ban start from today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ricero wrote:
    Does the ban start from today ?

July.

Where this "abnormally low ratios" the result if people misunderstanding the numbers?
    It's not for test to fluctuate and drop, especially silly during camp.
    And estrogen blocker wouldn't have lowered his ratio.

If USADA have bought the dick pill excuse, then I'd imagine they've gone and tested them independently.
    I'd like to know the they actually contained clomiphene or, whether the drug in the pills was similar to cause a false positive.

He'll end up being 18 months between fights by the time he serves his ban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

so i've found copies of the first 25 UFCs, which although i'd seen fights here and there, i'd never seen in their entirety. I have to say, it's a miracle the sport survived. what absolute car crash TV. it's hilariously awful, bar hoyce gracie. love it!!!

so i've found copies of the first 25 UFCs, which although i'd seen fights here and there, i'd never seen in their entirety. I have to say, it's a miracle the sport survived. what absolute car crash TV. it's hilariously awful, bar hoyce gracie. love it!!!

The sumo wrestler (I think?) who lost his tooth because he didn't know he could get kicked on the ground was definitely a highlight :pac:

I actually watched the first 2 the other day. The guy from Denver that Royce beat in the final of the second one wasn't too bad either was well rounded!

How do ye think Royce could've done if he was around this era? Obviously taking into consideration that he was fighting amateurs and the sport was in its infancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How do ye think Royce could've done if he was around this era? Obviously taking into consideration that he was fighting amateurs and the sport was in its infancy.

As in if he had the same abilities he had in 93 today?

He'd do ok, would need serious adjustments to his style of fighting to be competitive at the highest level.

Rickson would do a lot better but he'd still be very one dimensional.

• Advertisement

Watch Kron fight and you'll get an idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement