Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

The sumo wrestler (I think?) who lost his tooth because he didn't know he could get kicked on the ground was definitely a highlight :pac:

the worst part was the refereeing. the guy was beaten to a pulp, and the refs instead of stopping it called the corner/doc/etc. rather than stopping it. shamrock tapped in front of the ref also like 5 times, yet the ref didn't see it. shocking stuff all round in every fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Watch Kron fight and you'll get an idea.

Kron is probably more rounded than both though.

But yeah, the likes of Sheilds, Maia, Kron. They'd all be the modern versions of the lads.

I think Rickson might have been more in the GSP mould in the modern era though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Big John McCarthy actually wanted to fight and represent the Gracie's at UFC 1 but the Gracie's wanted someone smaller against bigger guys to demonstrate how effective BJJ was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    Big John McCarthy actually wanted to fight and represent the Gracie's at UFC 1 but the Gracie's wanted someone smaller against bigger guys to demonstrate how effective BJJ was.
    I think that was at UFC 2, he was at UFC with Rorion, and wanted to enter. But they want to keep going with Royce, for the reasons you said.
    Royce wasn't chosen as the best of the Gracie fighters. He was chosen as the smallest. Rickson was probably best at the time.

Royce might not even be in the top 3 of all time if it were not for the early UFC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Lukker- wrote: »

Think that was the same reason they went with Royce over Rickson with Rickson being bigger and more muscled compared to Royce's slender frame.
    Google tells me Rickson wanted too much money to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I thought they didn't send Rickson because he was an animal and they wanted to demonstrate that JiuJitsu was about technique not strength no?

TimRiggins wrote: »
    I thought they didn't send Rickson because he was an animal and they wanted to demonstrate that JiuJitsu was about technique not strength no?
    As with everything Gracie family, there's probably different versions depending on who you ask.
    And probably none of which are the full truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

We were robbed of Rickson v Sakuraba anyways thats for sure,

Jones v Hendo booked for an ebi rules grappling event Dec 11th.

We were robbed of Rickson v Sakuraba anyways thats for sure,
    Yeah, I could never figure out why that one never happened.
    Saku even called him out at one point. You'd think it was an obvious match after he beat Royce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, I could never figure out why that one never happened.
    Saku even called him out at one point. You'd think it was an obvious match after he beat Royce.

Didn't he kind of just stop after his son died? Was talk of a fight happening around the time iirc

• Advertisement

Didn't he kind of just stop after his son died? Was talk of a fight happening around the time iirc
    Yeah, I think you're right. Just had a read of wiki there to check timelines/history.

Rickson was offer the Sakuraba fight twice, after he bear Royler and again after Royce. He turned both down, and booked other fights.
    Rockson died shortly afterwards and Rickson never fought again. You have think that they'd have eventually made the match up otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

TimRiggins wrote: »

thats what I've heard anyway, Royce was the smallest/weakest of them so he got the nod to show with maximum effect how effective bjj was. Crazy to see how far the sport has come in such a relatively short time though!

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you're right. Just had a read of wiki there to check timelines/history.

Rickson was offer the Sakuraba fight twice, after he bear Royler and again after Royce. He turned both down, and booked other fights.
    Rockson died shortly afterwards and Rickson never fought again. You have think that they'd have eventually made the match up otherwise.

It's OK, Ralek eventually won back the family's honor. And the turned into a little turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

It's OK, Ralek eventually won back the family's honor. And the turned into a little turd.

There was a screenshot of a Facebook or IG comment of his where he said something along the lines of "metamoris wasn't created to pay debts, it was about showcasing the best of jiu jitsu".

Would be surprised if many continue to deal with him.

There was a screenshot of a Facebook or IG comment of his where he said something along the lines of "metamoris wasn't created to pay debts, it was about showcasing the best of jiu jitsu".

Would be surprised if many continue to deal with him.

Just signed to Bellator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just signed to Bellator.

Yeah, but that relationship works the other way round - they pay him instead of vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Lads/Ladies

Has no bone jones been stripped of the interm belt so ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies

Who cares, that belt literally means nothing in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

dashoonage wrote: »
    Lads/Ladies

Yep part of the ban is to have any titles taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

ASOT wrote: »
    Yep part of the ban is to have any titles taken!

i take it the interm is done away with so. Proper order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think they've forgotten about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just ignored it and didn't bother announcing anything.

Isnt Nevada going to impose a punishment on him too? seen it somewhere that hes gotta answer to them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The sumo wrestler (I think?) who lost his tooth because he didn't know he could get kicked on the ground was definitely a highlight :pac:

Lost 3 teeth. One flew out of the cage, 2 others stayed embedded in Gordeau's foot* as removing them needed surgery and he didn't want to pull out. So they taped over the teeth and he continued.

*UFC officials have denied this over the years but both Tuli (the Sumo) and Gordeau have confirmed it.

Isnt Nevada going to impose a punishment on him too? seen it somewhere that hes gotta answer to them now.

That's always the way. It was Nevada who gave Diaz the ridiculous ban for pot, not the USADA. State athletic comission bans tend to be less than UASDA/WADA and are usually backdated.

Will probably be a 6-12 month retroactive ban.

That's always the way. It was Nevada who gave Diaz the ridiculous ban for pot, not the USADA. State athletic comission bans tend to be less than UASDA/WADA and are usually backdated.

Will probably be a 6-12 month retroactive ban.

Hefty fine too probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭NightmareUFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Chris don't throw too many high kicks.

Gian Villante is the biggest typical american jock moron had to turn off the mma hour there after 5 minutes of listening to him absolute headwrecker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Gian Villante is the biggest typical american jock moron had to turn off the mma hour there after 5 minutes of listening to him absolute headwrecker.

Tell us how you really feel

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement