Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Seriously if anyone doesn't think he is a legit threat and one of a few challenges for conor they are being blinded by the fact conor is irish.

I don't anyone has suggested he's not a threat.
    I was flagging Khabib as a future champ two years ago.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Ferguson is much more rounded and would have a decent height + reach advantage over Conor, plus he's got an iron chin.
    He has +2" in both height and reach. But I'm not sure about that chin. (Lando Vannata).

It's amazing how quickly people forget.
    Two weeks ago, Conor's needed to go back to 145 and defend.
    Last week, Tony Ferguson was the next in line after beating former champ RDA, 9 fight streak.
    This week, Khabib is the focus.

No matter who he fights, he'll be accused to avoiding the other two.
    More a circus match-up than anything. Think it's just playing along with the storyline of JJ being the opponent Hendo always wanted to fight but never got a chance to while also letting JJ keep his name relevant during his suspension.
    I think you're reading way too much into it tbh. Jones has been grappling a lot since his ban. Turned up to a Naga event a few weeks ago and rolled with the fans. I'd say Submission Underground/Chael approached him, no reason to say no imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't anyone has suggested he's not a threat.
    I was flagging Khabib as a future champ two years ago.

He has +2" in both height and reach. But I'm not sure about that chin. (Lando Vannata).

It's amazing how quickly people forget.
    Two weeks ago, Conor's needed to go back to 145 and defend.
    Last week, Tony Ferguson was the next in line after beating former champ RDA, 9 fight streak.
    This week, Khabib is the focus.

No matter who he fights, he'll be accused to avoiding the other two.

I think you're reading way too much into it tbh. Jones has been grappling a lot since his ban. Turned up to a Naga event a few weeks ago and rolled with the fans. I'd say Submission Underground/Chael approached him, no reason to say no imo.
    he still has to defend 145 imo but khabib should be first in line for LW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

dont see how its fair he gets it over ferg, khabib hasnt really beaten anyone relevant yet since coming back and ferg is on a 9 fight streak while being very active over the last while. Either have the two boys scrap it out while conor deals with jose or give ferg the shot and let khabib either beat someone relevant or totter off back to russia where kadyrov can feed him cans

I agree that he fight Aldo at 145 next, if he is ever going to fight at 145 again. But I'm not sure it's so clear cut that Khabib is undisputed nest in line.

Khabib is 24-0, the longest active streak in all of MMA.
    But Ferguson has a longer streak in the UFC, 9 fights - second only to Might Mouse.

Then you look at you've they've beaten.
    They both fought a promotional newcomer in the second to last fight. So scratch that one. When you look at their 5 5 opponents, they've beaten a lot of the same guys.

Khabib Ferguson
    Rafael dos Anjos Rafael dos Anjos
    Michael Johnson Edson Barboza
    Thiago Tavares Josh Thomson
    Abel Trujillo Abel Trujillo
    Gleison Tibau Gleison Tibau

Johnson is slightly ahead of Barboza for me.
    But Thomson is ahead of Tavares. These two are unbelievably close right not. Tony is ranked 2nd, and Khabib is 3rd. I imagine they could both jump to 1 and 2 this week.

Even if put Khabib on top. There's no way to complain about a guy with a 9 fights streak campaigning for the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's clearly Khabib, Michael Johnson was the last man to beat Ferguson and he was last seen in NYC being dominated by Khabib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

It's clearly Khabib, Michael Johnson was the last man to beat Ferguson and he was last seen in NYC being dominated by Khabib.

That fight was 4 years ago. Tony has massively massively improved as a fighter since. They really should fight each other but Khabib likely won't accept anything except a title shot or he'll get injured.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Completely different Tony Ferguson though.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Completely different Tony Ferguson though.

Oh I know it's in their thinking though (UFC & Tony's) underlined by the rematch that was scheduled but scrapped earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

If they make a ferguson khabib fight does it take one out of being a contender?

Or would they still be next in line?

Edit: just to add, maia in dame spot. Does he wait it out for his shot or risk a loss in the meantime. Woodley Thompson rematch and then conor could decide to jump over him. On mma hour woodley said he'd fight jim on December card

Come on, you know that's not how it works. That fight was years ago.
    If that were the way Joe Duffy is next in line as the last man to beat the champ at LW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

McGregor is surely going to take a bit of time off now with the sprog on the way so it has to make sense that Khabib and Ferguson fight each other. How can you give a shot to one ahead of the other without them fighting? Imo, Ferguson deserves it more but he fcuked up not calling out McGregor the other week.

Mellor wrote: »
    Come on, you know that's not how it works. That fight was years ago.
    If that were the way Joe Duffy is next in line as the last man to beat the champ at LW.
    I know it's not the way it should work,also Nate Diaz was the last man to beat the champ at LW and I think that will be the route they go down funnily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

hefferboi wrote: »
    Ferguson deserves it more but he fcuked up not calling out McGregor the other week.

I reckon Tony never wanted to do a call-out. I believe he said in one interview before that he doesn't mind giving the title shot to Khabib first, he's more of the mindset that he's just going to beat everyone until there's no one in his way. Only Khabib is in his way now (in the rankings anyways), so he'll either fight Khabib first if he has to or wait for the title shot right after Khabib gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Ive seen this in the media a lot about Ferguson not calling him out. Personally, I don't think it would have made a difference. Recency bias would probably have meant Khabib was more on people's minds post ufc 205.
    Also, if Ferguson had called out mcgregor then Khabib would have pulled out all the stops to have a better call out. Fair enough he could have done something to create interest in a fight with conor/eddie but ultimately I think he was at a disadvantage fighting before Khabib. In saying all that, he may still get the shot, no one knows...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I know it's not the way it should work,also Nate Diaz was the last man to beat the champ at LW and I think that will be the route they go down funnily enough.

I'd consider Diaz a lightweight fighter but they fought both times at 170 if I'm remembering correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

also important to note tony is on a run of 5 post fight bonuses...that'll definitely come into it imo.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I'd consider Diaz a lightweight fighter but they fought both times at 170 if I'm remembering correctly.

Sorry I kinda got confused with what Mellor was trying to say. I thought he meant beating the Champ at LW (referring to Conor as champ) but on a reread clearly he was talking about the actual weight division whoops!

But ya Diaz is a LW despite the bouts taking place at 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It we're going on merit it should be Ferguson. Lad should have got a shot a year or longer ago. Guy has beaten numerous ranked fighters and finished a lot of them. Comparing Khabib's opponents isn't worth a lot when he's fought twice in like 2 years while Ferg has fought about 6-7 times. Ferguson doesn't seem too pushed on picketing for a shot though. Weird guy, weird style but a fantastic fighter.

Khabib Conor is a great matchup though. Both guys have a bit of an unbeatable aura about them after their last fight, classic striker v grappler matchup. Could easily argue it's the best striker vs the best grappler in mma. Thrash talk would be hilarious too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In the run up to this weekends fights I've had to consider something.

I think I might love Claudia more that cupcake...
    She just seems so lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Meisha Tate is not attractive.

There, I've said it.

She has a weird pouty sneer and fake boobs.

Her ass is the only attractive thing about her.

I realise that I'm now an outcast here.

I do like her as a fighter and I would have loved to see her beat Ronda once but she hasn't looked interested this past 2 fights so I'm glad she retired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

DrPhilG wrote: »

There, I've said it.

I do like her as a fighter and I would have loved to see her beat Ronda once but she hasn't looked interested this past 2 fights so I'm glad she retired.

She's a bit of a butterface, but as far as bantamweight women fighting in the UFC, she ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You're both dead.

Redcow roundabout, Thursday at 7pm. Myself and Axewell will fight you both in a no holds barred tag team match.

Be aware I have a fecking nasty half guard Americana and a pretty functional straight ankle lock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

102619720Meisha-Tate-UFC-200-belt-pose-MMA-large_trans++VioNkw4lP6e3VYTCBD-HsPojXH1gLdAfnIqMkerB03w.jpg

6.jpg

raw

Any excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

You're both dead.

Redcow roundabout, Thursday at 7pm. Myself and Axewell will fight you both in a no holds barred tag team match.

Be aware I have a fecking nasty half guard Americana and a pretty functional straight ankle lock.

Ive got Fran, the van and a couple of hungry dogs. Too Wicklow Mountains

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

DrPhilG wrote: »

There, I've said it.

I'm gonna assume your account got hacked otherwise I will have to permaban you for such blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Axwell wrote: »
    I'm gonna assume your account got hacked otherwise I will have to permaban you for such blasphemy.

Scum Axell scum !

They all wish !

Sorry I kinda got confused with what Mellor was trying to say. I thought he meant beating the Champ at LW (referring to Conor as champ) but on a reread clearly he was talking about the actual weight division whoops!

But ya Diaz is a LW despite the bouts taking place at 170.

Yeah, I meant the last person to beat him at LW.
    Not seriously suggesting that Joe Duffy is in the mix due to that. Just highlighting how meaningless it can be. Sometimes there ever spots where 3 or 4 fighters all lost to each other. Like

Eddie beat RDA, RDA beat Nate, Nate & RDA beat Cowboy, Cowboy beat Eddie, and around and around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Meisha ain't bad but she's no Michelle.

michelle-waterson-15.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Pfffft

Alexa Grasso is where its at

3AsRhT1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gamebred wrote: »
    102619720Meisha-Tate-UFC-200-belt-pose-MMA-large_trans++VioNkw4lP6e3VYTCBD-HsPojXH1gLdAfnIqMkerB03w.jpg

Any excuse.

That first picture sums up my thoughts.

Big nose, permanent sneer, big plastic balloon boobs.

Nothing to see here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement