Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I was having a look at Khabib's professional record and a lot of his professional wins were in 2 round fights... should that not mean that either they don't count or that the trial/house fights on TUF that are often 2 rounds should count on a professional record?
    Pro fights aren't required to be 3 rounds. I've heard of orgs having the 3rd round optional depending on scoring. Which isn't a bad idea imo.

The TUF fights are non-pro due to something to do with the commissions. Even when they go 3 x 5mins they don't go on a fighters record

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pride was 2 rounds IIRC, 10 minutes followed by 5

Pride was 2 rounds IIRC, 10 minutes followed by 5

Yup, even recently Rizin has used that 2 round format

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The pride / Rizin one ten minute round followed by a 5 minute round is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The pride / Rizin one ten minute round followed by a 5 minute round is so much better.

Why?

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why?

It allows fighters more time to work for a finish, you can't just hang on till the end of the round if you're rocked or in a bad spot on the ground, produced more finishes, made fights less boring.

Lots of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It was way better for grapplers. 10 mins gives them way more time to get a feel for their opponent and they had more time to advance position. I think the UFC purposely has 5 minute rounds because the fight is more likely to stay standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,774 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It allows fighters more time to work for a finish, you can't just hang on till the end of the round if you're rocked or in a bad spot on the ground, produced more finishes, made fights less boring.

Lots of reasons.

I think 3 x 5 minute rounds is fairer on all.

1 x 10 and 1 x 5 favours grapplers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think I preferred the scoring in Pride where they just scored the whole fight. There would've been a good few decisions go the opposite way had this happened! Gus v Jon Jones springs to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Didn't John Kavanagh suggest in his book he'd be in favour of 1 15 minute round?

It'd see a lot more stoppages for sure and the fights would be more exciting, and going to the judges would mean they judge the fight not the rounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Didn't John Kavanagh suggest in his book he'd be in favour of 1 15 minute round?

It'd see a lot more stoppages for sure and the fights would be more exciting, and going to the judges would mean they judge the fight not the rounds

That's pure speculation to be honest. You could just as easily say in one fifteen minute round the judges might forget the first two thirds of it when making their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone listening to the mmaaa talk about their new association? Following on Twitter and already picking up momentum with other fighters. Interesting times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

That's pure speculation to be honest. You could just as easily say in one fifteen minute round the judges might forget the first two thirds of it when making their decision.

That's probably true, I remember in Diaz McGregor II I originally scored round 2 for Diaz, with my interpretation skewed by the late flurry by Diaz and Rogan's commentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So the mma union was announced tonight at a press conferance. Cain dillashaw cowboy and gsp to name some in attendance.

Good on them

They made it very clear it's not a union but an 'assosiation' :) GSP trying to get Conor on board. I would never have said he would but after the belt thing, I can see him joining it just to piss off the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    They made it very clear it's not a union but an 'assosiation' :) GSP trying to get Conor on board. I would never have said he would but after the belt thing, I can see him joining it just to piss off the UFC.

If McGregor is serious about being given an ownership stake in the promotion he'll be staying well away from it I reckon.

Potential conflict of interest for him down the line.

Considering all the bitterness towards him I hope Conor tells them to **** off and keeps lining his pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

For now, the distinction between union and association is irrelevant - it's a group of fighters coming together to try and get a better deal from the UFC. A brave first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Gamebred wrote: »
    Considering all the bitterness towards him I hope Conor tells them to **** off and keeps lining his pockets.

To be fair and to his credit, I dont think he takes any of it personally. Not from fighters anyway.

He knows it part of the game. If he elects not to get involved, I dont think it will be because of any ill will to those that are involved.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »

It's in his best interests to join them? Conors the top earner by a long shot but he doesn't get paid close to what he should. If it was boxing he'd be keeping the lion's share for himself as is right.

If the lower end guys are getting a more even share so will Conor. I hope he joins, it's one of the only ways they can ensure the success of the association. And lets not kid ourselves, it's much needed. 85% of guys are coming out of pro careers with less money than when they started with injuries and brain trauma that will stay with them for life, all for our enjoyment. They deserve their fair share.

Yeah but how does it look if he shows up with all the fighters backing them then is calling them bums while trying to promote a fight? zero chance of it happening and I 100% agree he would be better off joining it financially because as much as hes paid everyone will agree he's underpaid for the money he makes the company without a doubt but I cant see it happening.

Have to say fair play to the lads, especially those fighting in the next couple of weeks, won't be easy being around UFC execs but it was badly needed. TJ looks like he's there after being promised free pasgetti. His pay is shocking in fairness, he needs a better contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Have to say fair play to the lads, especially those fighting in the next couple of weeks, won't be easy being around UFC execs but it was badly needed. TJ looks like he's there after very in promised free pasgetti. His pay is shocking in fairness, he needs a better contract.

He needs a better agent.

They made it very clear it's not a union but an 'assosiation

There are very obvious and well documented reasons for that. Anyone involved in the unionisation of MMA has pointed out that under US law until X amount of professional fighters sign up its an association, not a union.

They need a percentage of all ufc fighters to sign up by they can even push for union accreditation.

The responses here are hilarious. Anyone involved needs better agency. Conor should avoid of because everyone is bitter and salty.

You'd swear mma began and ended with Conor.

ASOT wrote: »
    He needs a better agent.

The way the UFC structures deals is pretty cut throat in fairness. He was probably fully aware that he'd be on 20/20 if he lost the title but he took the risk so he could actually make some money.

Usually they'll offer guys 2 options:

1 might be, 150k show 100k win if you are champ, 20/20 if you lose the belt

the other might be 75 show 50 win, but you get 40/40 if you lose the belt

These guys break their backs to get a title shot, lots of them will take the bigger money because they think its time they actually started making some real money and they have to take it while they can because it's a short career.

People siding with the UFC is part of the problem, the fighters are the real entertainers yet people criticize them for making bad business decisions when the system is there to intentionally f*ck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

On a completely unrelated note, the UFC announces some upcoming fights:
    Tim Kennedy vs. Yoel Romero 2, 3 and 4
    Donald Cerrone vs. Brock Lesnar
    Cain Velasquez vs. Mighty Mouse at flyweight in Mexico City
    TJ Dillashaw vs. Stipe Miocic at heavyweight
    Still no fight for GSP

:D

*(copy and pasted the above)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I think I preferred the scoring in Pride where they just scored the whole fight. There would've been a good few decisions go the opposite way had this happened! Gus v Jon Jones springs to mind!

Great in theory, but considering judges struggle so much with the current system, I'd have no faith that they'd manage to objectively score 15 mins.

The end of a 5 minute round appears to be worth more on the score cards, it would be worse over 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ASOT wrote: »
    He needs a better agent.

I'm not sure if this post is a reference to the story i'm about to tell, so if it is i'm sorry for being a numbskull, but if it's not.......

Chael Sonnen said on one of his podcasts that TJ Dillashaw's longtime manager/agent worked his arse off for him and got him a spot on TUF. After he lost in the final, TJ was pretty stuck but once the opportunity came for TJ to fill in and fight Barao for the belt, the agent nabbed him the shot!

As soon as TJ won, and TJ would be making "Championship" money, he fired his agent and told him he didn't need him anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement