Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    She has every right to take as long as she wants to recover. But that's irrelevant, he didn't critise her for turning the fight down. He criticised her for publicly complaining that there was no 145 division. After she has been offered a 145 title fight. It's hypocritical.

She made that statement BEFORE she was offered the fight. She was then offered the fights and turned them down because she wants a break, that's not hypocritical, it's letting her body heal.
    There's was no point for a 145 division because there wasn't the fighters for it. Still isn't tbh.

There wasn't anyone to fight at 115 or 135 when they were launched either. If there's no platform how can people come to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Nobody should be chasing Cyborg they should let her come to them and if she doesn't leave it especially that shes mentioning depression as a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

She made that statement BEFORE she was offered the fight. She was then offered the fights and turned them down because she wants a break, that's not hypocritical, it's letting her body heal.

There wasn't anyone to fight at 115 or 135 when they were launched either. If there's no platform how can people come to it?

My thoughts are exactly as above!

Cyborg was never gonna make 135, ever. She's too big. The UFC were trying to force the issue and after seeing the two brutal weight cuts she went through and the good viewing figures she brought, they finally caved and decided to go for a 145 division. That's my thoughts on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It's not hilarious. She risked her health making those cuts to 140, and she worries that she has now permanently damaged her body by doing so. She is not willing to make regular/frequent cuts to 145 until she feels that she has allowed her body to sufficiently recover.

The UFC should have had the 145 weight class for her from the start. What was the point in having her fight at 140? Those extra 5lbs from 145 to 140 would have been torture for her, as shown by the videos she released of her weight cutting.

Her twitter has been non stop campaigning for the division claiming they should build it for her in the last month so after she turned down the fight. I'm not saying she should cut the weight again its her choice its just kinda hypocritical of her.

I like the idea of her and Holm doing TUF for a 145 pound division though and they have an Invicta division there to pick from no reason why they can't, Cyborg could draw better than alot of current male champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

People acting like turning down a fight is a big deal.

The UFC are certified retards. They're notoriously well know to offer short notice fights to fighters who are still on or just back from medical suspensions and then acting like those fighters are being awkward by turning them down. It's idiocy. The expect fighters to drop everything and come running every time he phone rings but at the same time pay them ****e money and don't bother promoting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I didn't say turning it down was hypocritical :confused: Continuing to complain AFTERWARDS is.
    I was led to believe she was offered it the first time a while back.
    Ah come on. there was loads on female fighter in those divisions.
    Invicta had a entire roster of both. As did shooto, and many other smaller promotions like KotC, CW etc. Belator too iirc. Plus they all had fighters from 105 and 125.
    How many top level 145 fights have there been this year? It's not quite Gabi-weight of course. I just don't know if there's enough fighters between 155-165. Look how wide BJJ HW is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The UFC are certified retards. They're notoriously well know to offer short notice fights to fighters who are still on or just back from medical suspensions and then acting like those fighters are being awkward by turning them down. It's idiocy. The expect fighters to drop everything and come running every time he phone rings but at the same time pay them ****e money and don't bother promoting them.

What did Cyborg think when she signed though? I'm sure she signed with goals of making 135. If she can't she shouldn't be in the organisation. Now they're making a division for her and she has 8 weeks to make it the weight while she talked **** about them for not doing it! She's been treated better then most fighters!

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Cyborg was never gonna make 135, ever. She's too big.
    From her current (FW) size sure. But she'd could lose weight prior to the cut. Given the amount of training she does, and her leanness it wouldn't be difficult. It's hard work to hold on to that kind of muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That tends to be fighters who are non stop complaining on social media or to the general media about wanting another fighter/fight and then when they’re offered it then suddenly can’t compete. If you’re going to campaign for something then you have to leave yourself open to getting it in situation that is not totally ideal to you.

Aldo is great example, ‘I’ll fight McGregor anytime anywhere’ and about two weeks later he turns down being a short notice replacement against him.

If you’re going to talk the talk, walk the walk or just STFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I love things like this; life long memory for that lads. Absolute gent max is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yea TBF Max always comes across very well, think he's one of the few thats said Conor beat him fair and he'd love an opportunity to go again. No bitching moaning or complaining from him, just gets on with it

brinty wrote: »
    Yea TBF Max always comes across very well, think he's one of the few thats said Conor beat him fair and he'd love an opportunity to go again. No bitching moaning or complaining from him, just gets on with it

Was a good fight the first time and both have improved in bounds since then so another fight would be epic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I am loving Max in this fight lead-up. He's very likeable, has a great personality and obviously he's a very exciting fighter. He's so young too, his peak is still years away yet. His sh1t-talking could probably use a bit of improvement though :P. I think if he continues on this trajectory, gets through Pettis and manages to beat Aldo then he could be a very marketable and popular champion. A fight with Conor down the line would be epic indeed, though at the moment I still see Conor taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 InstantMMA

brinty wrote: »

One of the few straight talking genuine guys in MMA at the moment. Always feel he deserves more attention than he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The only thing that is a big put off about him is he never shuts up about god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Some free fights tonight from South Africa, EFC 56, my mate from back in Wales, Azi Thomas is fighting

http://www.efcworldwide.tv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

scudzilla wrote: »
    Some free fights tonight from South Africa, EFC 56, my mate from back in Wales, Azi Thomas is fighting

http://www.efcworldwide.tv/

What's that got to do with UFC?

What's that got to do with UFC?

Ah sorry about that, i was under the impression that there was more to UFC than MMA, or is that the other way round, sure you'll correct me with your wisdom

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ah sorry about that, i was under the impression that there was more to UFC than MMA, or is that the other way round, sure you'll correct me with your wisdom

What is this mma you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I was under the impression most people who post on Boards could read and hence read thread titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I was under the impression most people who post on Boards could read and hence read thread titles.

Relax Jesus, he was only mentioning he knew a lad fighting tonight.

What is it with everyone on the mma forum getting ratty the whole time?

hefferboi wrote: »
    Relax Jesus, he was only mentioning he knew a lad fighting tonight.

What is it with everyone on the mma forum getting ratty the whole time?

That's one of the reasons my posting in this forum has gone down a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

That's one of the reasons my posting in this forum has gone down a lot

I'm the same. You cant post here at all any more without worrying about some total knob with nothing better to do coming back at you with some passive-aggressive bullsh1t response.

I'm quite convinced there are people on this forum making a conscious effort to start agro whenever they see the chance. There's always a queue of people waiting around here to put you in your place as they would see it. The sounder posters here just see it as them being absolute arses.

FWIW, everyone knows that this is kinda the general MMA thread even though it is titled UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Actually it would be great if this thread title was updated to include all mma news. You could keep the other bellator, etc thread for live non UFC events but I'd still like to know what's going on with other fighters in this thread, especially Irish fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What is this mma you speak of?

It's a sports company where people do UFC fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Actually it would be great if this thread title was updated to include all mma news. You could keep the other bellator, etc thread for live non UFC events but I'd still like to know what's going on with other fighters in this thread, especially Irish fighters.

I think people do use this thread in that way. Apart from the pernickity few.. I wouldn't hesitate to post non UFC news here.

http://www.immaf.org/world-judo-champion-morgane-ribout-crosses-over-to-mma/

French Judo world champ crosses over to MMA. Will become the first judo works champ to fight MMA. Debuts early next year. Won't be in the UFC immediately of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

http://www.immaf.org/world-judo-champion-morgane-ribout-crosses-over-to-mma/

French Judo world champ crosses over to MMA. Will become the first judo works champ to fight MMA. Debuts early next year. Won't be in the UFC immediately of course

Been lots of chatter about Jade Jones doing it after Tokyo too. If she gets gold she'll be the first to get golds at three Olympics in tkd that would be a marketing man's dream if she did switch to MMA which you would think she surely will.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lose the attitude problem - its an ongoing thing with you on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement