Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The pair of them work on fox together clearly taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Absolute windup lads, they know it will get them headlines and fans will eat it up.

Woodley should be fighting Maia next, Wonderboy had his chance and I think the result was wrong as after watching it back I have it 48-47 too Woodley all day long.

Maia has been strangling the best guys in the world for a while now and is well due next shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I still can't get over the controversy over the knee to a grounded opponent. I can't understand how fighters don't know the rules. How commentators on the sport for like 20 years don't and also that useless marc Ratner doesn't. Isnt that like the basics of his job. 'now over to our expert at ring side marc Ratner' jesus the guy constantly gets things wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I tell you what I've never liked Garbrandt, but that's one of the best performances I've ever seen, against an opponent who I thought was the no. 1 fighter in MMA. Cruz definitely chased him too much which was a surprise, but it takes nothing away from Garbrandt.

Him vs TJ is gonna be quite the match, would like to see Cruz back vs the winner. Very interesting year for the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Great highlight vid for UFC in 2016 (damn Robbie\Condit was cracking)

https://streamable.com/fy0y1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Joey nearly went into arrest he would want to check that BP.

Conor should be booked for a fight now, surely he isn't going to fight straight after having a child so if he doesn't fight soon he will be out until Sept/Nov.

Khabib interview on mma hour yesterday was really good. UFC should just book it, it should sell. The fact Dana put out his statement his isn't going to pay any more money has only hurt the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Imagine if Joey took over from Goldie....Would sell more PPV than 90% of the roster.

Also, very clever move out of Khabib offerring to pay Tony and extra 200k. Makes the UFC look bad if they don't book it, makes Tony look bad if he doesn't accept and it also makes him look bad if he does accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Imagine if Joe took over from Goldie....Would sell more PPV than 90% of the roster.

Also, very clever move out of Khabib offerring to pay Tony and extra 200k. Makes the UFC look bad if they don't book it, makes Tony look bad if he doesn't accept and it also makes him look bad if he does accept.

Khabib is playing the game fantastically at the moment.

I really hope they dont end up booking him and aldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The UFC need to sort this stuff out. The idea that they were going to massively increase the money in the sport but not pass that on substantially to the fighters was never going to fly. These guys are realising that they're underpaid, and they will pass / chase fights on that basis. When a fighter can only manage three bouts tops a year; and each fight could be your last it is only correct that they do so.

The UFC need to actively incentivise fighters to take the match ups mandated by the rankings in each division with cold hard cash. You might have a guy signed to ~$200k a fight, but he's correct to say **** you if his opponent is gong to make 15 - 20 times that. Unless the shot will catapult him to that bracket for his next bout in of itself.

Bottom line is that I attach no blame to the fighters angling for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Imagine if Joey took over from Goldie....Would sell more PPV than 90% of the roster.

Joey Diaz' voice gives me a pain in the base of my skull.

Apparently he's supposed to be a comedian as well? I've never heard him say anything funny in all the JRE podcasts that I have heard him on. Although to be fair, when I see that he is the guest I usually skip it.

Is his whole act just based on him being sweary and cranky all the time?

He seems to have a massive hate-horn for McGregor as well. Whats that about?

He calls McGregor his boy, in the last one.

Can't see khabib fighting Aldo, he said only going to fight 1 of 2 fights, Conor for belt of Tony for fake belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

My fav quote of 2017 has happened already

Khabib was asked on MMA Hour....Plans for 2017

" Win some bull**** interim belt"

LOL, Zero ****s given like.

NY Rick comeback of the year Ronda lol, how does he get paid for this ****, what a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

John_D80 wrote: »
    Joey Diaz' voice gives me a pain in the base of my skull.

Apparently he's supposed to be a comedian as well? I've never heard him say anything funny in all the JRE podcasts that I have heard him on. Although to be fair, when I see that he is the guest I usually skip it.

Is his whole act just based on him being sweary and cranky all the time?

He seems to have a massive hate-horn for McGregor as well. Whats that about?

He seems popular but I'm not a big fan either. Has some funny clips but I'd probably find him annoying more often, I cringe at how much Joe Rogan sucks up to him on JRE. Seems to talk about how he's the greatest comedian ever on every podcast, whether Diaz is a guest or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He seems popular but I'm not a big fan either. Has some funny clips but I'd probably find him annoying more often, I cringe at how much Joe Rogan sucks up to him on JRE. Seems to talk about how he's the greatest comedian ever on every podcast, whether Diaz is a guest or not.

He seems to have the reputation of a comedian's comedian. I like them both, to an extent, but listening to the JRE gives me the feeling that it's making me stupider, it's a guilty pleasure, brain popcorn and tbh these days Joe Rogan annoys me much more than Joey Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ah lads the UFC rankings goes without saying are a complete joke had to laugh at the latest glaringly obvious in the P4P Garbrandt has gone from non ranked to #5! Nunes didn't budge :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In fairness Cody beat a very good fighter. Nunes prob won't get too much credit for beating Ronda as Ronda tried to stand with her when that's not Ronda's strength.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

darced wrote: »

Most of the contracts are pre-reebok and the reebok deal completely destroys the spirit in which the contracts were made.

Ah lads the UFC rankings goes without saying are a complete joke had to laugh at the latest glaringly obvious in the P4P Garbrandt has gone from non ranked to #5! Nunes didn't budge :rolleyes:

For sure. The list of media who pick the rankings has dwindled to something like 18. The journalists are from such reputable organisations as Steve Jeffer of CFMU 93.3 FM (appears to be a college radio), David Brown of the Cherokee Scout(small regional paper), Eddie Pappani of KIOZ San Diego (one of the few people who actually seemed to exist online, 4k Twitter followers, never posts about MMA). If you look at the individual rankings they are even more befuddling. They used to have about 70 journalists doing the rankings, including most of the top MMA ones but there isn't a single person with MMA credentials (or even a passing interest in it) on the panel. It's just a marketing tool.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In fairness Cody beat a very good fighter. Nunes prob won't get too much credit for beating Ronda as Ronda tried to stand with her when that's not Ronda's strength.

Yep no doubting that but lets be honest a Ronda win would have jumped her further than where Nunes is now.

How bout Joanna? more defences than anyone else in their division right now behind Mighty mouse. Dopes are inconsistent

Cody on the MMA hour now that he won the belt talking about leaving the division wants Conor or José...f*ck off we wanna see you and TJ just after I was warming to him after that performance hes gone straightback in the bin.

Yep no doubting that but lets be honest a Ronda win would have jumped her further than where Nunes is now.

How bout Joanna? more defences than anyone else in their division right now behind Mighty mouse. Dopes are inconsistent

Cody on the MMA hour now that he won the belt talking about leaving the division wants Conor or José...f*ck off we wanna see you and TJ just after I was warming to him after that performance hes gone straightback in the bin.

No one champ wants to fight in their division anymore. Cody calling out Aldo/Conor, Aldo ducking Max and calling out Khabib/Conor, Conor angling for Tyron, Tyron ducking Maia/Thompson and calling out Conor and Bisping and Bisping calling out anyone but Yoel Romero and saying he'll fight Tyron.

This is probably the direction the company will continue to under the new owners IMO.

Lukker- wrote: »
    This is probably the direction the company will continue to under the new owners IMO.

Devalues the belts too the guys that truly want to be the best in their division are ending up fighting for interim belts...seems the days of PPVs being sold by just having 2 great fighters in a non title fight are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Devalues the belts too the guys that truly want to be the best in their division are ending up fighting for interim belts...seems the days of PPVs being sold by just having 2 great fighters in a non title fight are long gone.

I'm not sure about that. Think they'd all happily take the money fights as well if they had the star power or leverage to do it.

I'm not really all that fussed about Cody calling him out. It's prize fighting. McGregor is the prize pig. Taking a fight in a higher weight class against a champion isn't dodging anybody in my mind. It's up to the UFC to run the division, not the fighter. His job is to make money and get out with as many faculties intact as possible.

In saying that, I'm fairly certain he knows he's not getting the fight so it's a bit of a moot point.

Yeah I have to agree people like Cody, Aldo, Conor, Tyron, Bisping all calling out and looking for stuipd money fight is annoying as all hell..... Just shut the hell up and fight the number 1 contenders! or you are not a real champion. Fights to make next are as follows Cody v TJ, Holloway v Aldo, Conor v Khabib, Woodly v Maia, Bisping v Romero. Those fights are what should happen and stop all thse champions dodging the #1 contender. In saying that I'd like to see Might Mouse fight 135 champion in future after he beats Silvas record.

edit: even worse is Conor v Mayweather ****e, just saw that is popping up again ffs

Nick Diaz v GSP or something cool for a fun fight or Nick Diaz v whoever but no way a guy who hasn't won since 2011 should be even talked about for a title fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Todd Grisham who was in WWE is a new UFC announcer.He debuts next week. Is he taking over Goldbergs spot????

https://twitter.com/GrishamMMA/status/816379270356316160

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/816386818375499776

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

Not a bad choice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement