Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read a rumour that Robin Black would be getting a job on the commentator desk but I'd that's true, I'd imagine he'd take Joe's place, not Goldie"s. I think Robin would make a brilliant addition, can't get enough of the flim flam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Its a 4 fight trial run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm not sure about that. Think they'd all happily take the money fights as well if they had the star power or leverage to do it.

I'm not really all that fussed about Cody calling him out. It's prize fighting. McGregor is the prize pig. Taking a fight in a higher weight class against a champion isn't dodging anybody in my mind.

But if you truly look at the situation here is a guy who questioned the draw of TJ when nobody truly knows Codys it was his first time on a PPV and he wasn't headlining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

But if you truly look at the situation here is a guy who questioned the draw of TJ when nobody truly knows Codys it was his first time on a PPV and he wasn't headlining!!

He was on both 189 and 202 but I get what you mean. As I said, his job is to make money and get out ASAP, it's up to the UFC to regulate the divisions. If the UFC paid their fighters a decent wage, they wouldn't be so vocal about chasing so called money fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

He was on both 189 and 202 but I get what you mean. As I said, his job is to make money and get out ASAP, it's up to the UFC to regulate the divisions. If the UFC paid their fighters a decent wage, they wouldn't be so vocal about chasing so called money fights.

I'm aware was on those numbered cards I think you'll find he was not on the paid portion on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Massive, shocking news in the MMA world tonight: Bryan Caraway pulls out of his fight with Jimmie Rivera, due to "injury".

That'll drop a few jaws. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

martyos121 wrote: »
    Massive, shocking news in the MMA world tonight: Bryan Caraway pulls out of his fight with Jimmie Rivera, due to "injury".

That'll drop a few jaws. :rolleyes:

He's lucky Miesha is still bringing home the bread with her new Fox gig. He looked genuinely surprised when she retired after her last fight, probably thought he'd have to get a job or take a fight.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's lucky Miesha is still bringing home the bread with her new Fox gig. He looked genuinely surprised when she retired after her last fight, probably thought he'd have to get a job or take a fight.

Think his next career move is to switch camps to AKA where they'll not only put up with, but encourage his pullou....sorry....I mean "injuries".

In fairness, he did well to beat Sterling who looked to have champion's potential at 135. Riding Miesha definitely doesn't make him any more likeable though, the lucky SOB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I bet he doesn't pull out of Miesha as often as he pulls out of fights...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

brinty wrote: »

Get your coat

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised if they have a few little Bryans running around at some point then.

"Daddy I can't go to school, I hurt my knee."

"That's my boy,"

In case I was too subtle, I'm not a fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I get the hate towards him. He's a dodger for sure.

But purely as a fighter, I like watching his fights and I do think he could make some great match ups in the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm shocked so many people want to see Cody vs Cruz 2 next.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/817124737704787968

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if they have a few little Bryans running around at some point then.

"Daddy I can't go to school, I hurt my knee."

"That's my boy,"

In case I was too subtle, I'm not a fan of his.
    Genuinely lol'd at that.

Also can 100% see it happening if he ever does have kids, if Miesha stays clueless that long to let it happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

https://twitter.com/todayfmnews/status/817281795788046336

I can't roll my eyes back far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

In other words, minister pledges to distract attention away from the hames he's making of his ministry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He'll do nuttin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

He would be better off getting the cop shop open and a secondary school in the area, I'll have him around one Sunday morning to show him how wrong he is and put on an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

Are IMMAA pushing for mandatory brain scans? If a club wants to make it mandatory, I have no problem with it but I'd be against widespread use of it unless IMMAA could organize a clinic where you could get it for €100 or less.

I can see where they are coming from though, the death of Joao changed the landscape of Irish MMA and the idea comes from a good place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Shane Ross said after the Joao Carvalho death that he (paraphrasing) "foresaw something like this happening".

Surely if he was telling the truth here it was a blatant admission of failure on his part? If the health minister said he could foresee a few deaths after they occurred he'd be hung out to dry, as they should be. If he could foresee this happening, why wasn't the sport regulated beforehand? I understand that the show itself was run very well with head injury checks being performed after each fight, but he's trying to portray it as some savage beatdown. If he actually believes it was like that he only has himself to blame for making no real attempts to regulate it.. Personally I think it sounds like little more than a TD letting his personal opinion on the sport get in the way of the logical solution - regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

this is a failed minister from a failed government grasping at straws in an attempt to curry public favour, nothing more. from the farce that got them into office onwards they're becoming a bigger joke by the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Shane Ross is one of the most incompetent, ineffective ministers in the recent history of the state. He's spent most of his time in office talking about other peoples departments.

Shane Ross is one of the most incompetent, ineffective ministers in the recent history of the state. He's spent most of his time in office talking about other peoples departments.

The same fella who live tweeted himself riding a bus for the first time to work

https://twitter.com/Shane_RossTD/status/816220654198407168

He went on to say how warm, clean, and fast the bus was.

Yeah good job buddy! Most buses are empty at 10AM because everyone else has to be in for 9 :pac:

Minsk-Feb-9-a.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Shane Ross said after the Joao Carvalho death that he (paraphrasing) "foresaw something like this happening".

Surely if he was telling the truth here it was a blatant admission of failure on his part? If the health minister said he could foresee a few deaths after they occurred he'd be hung out to dry, as they should be. If he could foresee this happening, why wasn't the sport regulated beforehand? I understand that the show itself was run very well with head injury checks being performed after each fight, but he's trying to portray it as some savage beatdown. If he actually believes it was like that he only has himself to blame for making no real attempts to regulate it.. Personally I think it sounds like little more than a TD letting his personal opinion on the sport get in the way of the logical solution - regulation.

That was the previous sports minister and I thought was a terrible thing to say. He was the minister for sport and did nothing in a situation where he thought someone was, eventually, going to die.

What Ross did say was
    This is something that we have under review,” he told the Mail. “It should be, at the very least, strictly regulated. I find some of the scenes in it quite disturbing.

“I think the rules should ensure that there is an absolute absence of brutality or savagery or anything like it. We are reviewing this, to find the best way of regulating it to ensure it is as safe as any other sport.

That sounds like this could be a good thing, especially as
    the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation called on the Irish authorities to formally recognise the sport.

They said MMA competitions here should be regulated by law, like they are in the US and Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

Dos Anjos moving up to welterweight, interesting to see how he gets on, he wasn't exactly a huge lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The right move considering the story around his last weight cut.
    Also probably sees Cerrone doing well and thinks he can do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

xtal191 wrote: »
    Dos Anjos moving up to welterweight, interesting to see how he gets on, he wasn't exactly a huge lightweight.

Am i the only one who thinks usada when i see the majority of these moves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Am i the only one who thinks usada when i see the majority of these moves?

usada are awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement