Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

UFC 208 is one of the worst ppvs on paper that I can remember in a long time

Hopefully the the women make it to the event. An injury would destroy the card completely.

I reckon ronda is staying ready...shes surely back up to 145 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

dashoonage wrote: »
    Hopefully the the women make it to the event. An injury would destroy the card completely.

Medical suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Fight night in the 3rd March in Vegas has been cancelled as well.

I reckon they are finding it harder and harder to make fights since the sale. 209 looks good but both of those top 2 fights have been played out in front of us.

Between all the champions looking for superfights and challengers like tony looking for their fair slice of the pie it seems like talks for any fight to be made has become a challenge for the UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Saipanne wrote: »
    Medical suspension?

She would be 3 days short of the 45 day suspension she received.

That fight is hard to take seriously as a title fight. Holm is coming off 2 losses and De Randemie is 6-3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That fight is hard to take seriously as a title fight. Holm is coming off 2 losses and De Randemie is 6-3.

Which UFC female 145lbers would you have picked in Joe Silva's shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    Which UFC female 145lbers would you have picked in Joe Silva's shoes?

Just don't bother launching the division at this stage.

I wouldnt disagree with you there. I've always said they have got the fighters for womens 145. Shallower than Heavyweight, which is saying something.

But I was from the point of view that it was gonna happen now regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Just don't bother launching the division at this stage.

I agree with not launching it.

Apart from the two fighting for the title, Cyborg is the only womens 145er I know, sure the division was pretty much created for Cyborg and there's a real chance now that she'll never even get to compete in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hunt has filed a lawsuit against the UFC, suing them for $2.5millionUSD.

I reckon this is an attempt to get them to cancel his contract so he can leave, he asked for a termination and they refused so this might force their hand.

Good on ya Hunty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

He's still fighting at 209 the gas man. He's dead right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    He's still fighting at 209 the gas man. He's dead right too.

I reckon this was all planned so he can add unfair dismissal to the lawsuit if they cut him, he can say he's meeting contractual obligations and they're trying to take advantage of him. Clever man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I reckon this is an attempt to get them to cancel his contract so he can leave, he asked for a termination and they refused so this might force their hand.

Good on ya Hunty.

He is more than likely not going to win and will end up loosing lots of money on legal fees or counter suits. This case will be tied up for years and he will miss out on the last years of his fighting career.

Professionally , He really should have pipped down after Lesnar "loss" which was later overturned. He would still be making money today , and would have a much easier time getting out of his contract. The way he went about it was just silly

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Maia that breaks my heart, what a guy.

Some more ufc london fights annouced; Breese v Bamgbose; Askhem v Breadley Scott; Leon Edwards v Vicente Luque & Diakiese v Packalen. Some decent scraps there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Maia is a legend love that guy as humble as they come,

Yeah some good scraps on that card Leon Edwards and Luque is guaranteed war, Have lost confidence in Breese thought he would be better after the Pendred win hasnt gone on,

Still missing a main event cant even think of one, am going to it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Good on ya Hunty.

He is more than likely not going to win and will end up loosing lots of money on legal fees or counter suits. This case will be tied up for years and he will miss out on the last years of his fighting career.

Professionally , He really should have pipped down after Lesnar "loss" which was later overturned. He would still be making money today , and would have a much easier time getting out of his contract. The way he went about it was just silly

He's 43. How much more fights does he have left? Sometimes you got to have principles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »
    Maia is a legend love that guy as humble as they come,

Yeah some good scraps on that card Leon Edwards and Luque is guaranteed war, Have lost confidence in Breese thought he would be better after the Pendred win hasnt gone on,

Still missing a main event cant even think of one, am going to it anyways.

Bamgbose will rattle breese early without a doubt; I wonder how he will respond. Yeah cant think of one myself but the cards decent so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Did Hunt receive any kind of compensation from the ufc after the fact? I know he asked for Lesnars full purse. There really should be some sort of purse penalty in fight contracts similar to when fighters miss weight.

I wouldnt disagree with you there. I've always said they have got the fighters for womens 145. Shallower than Heavyweight, which is saying something.

But I was from the point of view that it was gonna happen now regardless.

Yeah don't create the division. A 125 division would be much more suitable.

If they are to create it without cyborg they need to sign some fighters. The real female 145lb belt without cyborg is gonna be in Bellator. The only time I can think of where both title challengers in a bellator fight are better than their ufc counterparts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

He's 43. How much more fights does he have left? Sometimes you got to have principles

Lets see how far principles will pay for his retirement. He is not the brightest spark and I presume he doesn't not have many other avenues of revenue. Lawyers will happily keep the case going for years taking a nice chunk out of any money he made fighting.

Principles did not work out so well for Randy Couture v the UFC and he has a movie career and a successful gym to supplement his income.

Sometimes you have to know when to pick your battles.

[l
    If they are to create it without cyborg they need to sign some fighters. The real female 145lb belt without cyborg is gonna be in Bellator.
    Tbf they didn't create it without Cyborg.
    They offered it to her, she wanted a break. They started it, I'm guessing with the plan for Cyborg to be the first defense. They Cyborg went and popped.

I doubt they would have proceeded if Cyborg had be suspended beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

He's still fighting reem at 209 with this happening?

Tbf they didn't create it without Cyborg.
    They offered it to her, she wanted a break. They started it, I'm guessing with the plan for Cyborg to be the first defense. They Cyborg went and popped.

I doubt they would have proceeded if Cyborg had be suspended beforehand.

Yeah but it has backfired big time. They should have waited till she was available but I think were desperate for a title fight for 208.

It is crazy that they will have 2 fighters fighting for a ufc title who are not ranked in the top 10 in the world for that division.

While Holm is ranked at 135 she is coming off 2 losses

Yeah but it has backfired big time. They should have waited till she was available but I think were desperate for a title fight for 208.

Cyborg is suspended for failing drug test, she won't be available anytime soon

Robbie Lawler left ATT, interesting to see where he goes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Robbie Lawler left ATT, interesting to see where he goes now.

Either back to Miletich or somewhere in California is my guess.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Either back to Miletich or somewhere in California is my guess.

Yeah hes off to Coach Edmund in Glendale.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah hes off to Coach Edmund in Glendale.

Would actually love to see that just because Edmond might actually be murdered by Lawler.

Seriously speaking though, I think he may end up at Alliance, that's the Cali gym I had in mind when I posted that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Cyborg is suspended for failing drug test, she won't be available anytime soon

They originally offered it to her though, no? When she came out with the line about not being ready until March after previous cut. They pushed on and made it anyway, most likely figuring to feed the winner to cyborg, who of course has gone and ****ed things up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement