Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »

Jones would murk him in any sport.

Mellor wrote: »

Diego Brandao's recent fight.
    7m15m for the finish

I love a good helicopter armbar. Oss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jones would murk him in any sport.

Jones probably has better wrestling but I don't see how he could beat Danis in BJJ. I'd be impressed if he could hold on until overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm glad he won, becsuse AJ is an gob****e. But calling out Jones is bizzare.

Gordon is right there, in the room. FFS
    If they don't do it soon they'll only end up fighting at Wolds/Pan Americas for zero dollars.

I'm glad he won, becsuse AJ is an gob****e. But calling out Jones is bizzare.

Gordon is right there, in the room. FFS
    If they don't do it soon they'll only end up fighting at Wolds/Pan Americas for zero dollars.

Honestly I don't think Danis will be competing in BJJ for that much longer. He just wants to build his name in MMA by competing against a big name like Jones to break through to the main stream a bit.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Jones probably has better wrestling but I don't see how he could beat Danis in BJJ. I'd be impressed if he could hold on until overtime.
    Under IBJJF rules Danis wins imo. As the rules favour jiujitsu over wrestling. Most points for guarding passing, mount, back. None for side control.

But the EBI sub only rules (that I think SUG are using) actually give a wrestler a lot more leverage. The wrestler only needs to hold and get to overtime. Then he gets gifted the RNC.

Look at Mendes v Glover as an example. Glover has much better BJJ than Chad. But his game is based on fast slick transitions. When the powerful wrestler was given the back he choked him in seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Danis would not be tapping out Jon Jones, DD is 180lb Jones is 230 minimum, Wouldnt even take him down.

I love a good helicopter armbar. Oss.

Yeah, love them too. I've only ever hit one myself.
    Gonna starting murking the new guys with them. :pac::pac::pac:

Gamebred wrote: »
    Danis would not be tapping out Jon Jones, DD is 180lb Jones is 230 minimum, Wouldnt even take him down.
    Dillion weighed in at 197lbs for SUG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Dillion weighed in at 197lbs for SUG

17lbs of that was ego.

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    17lbs of that was ego.
    That's nothing. AJ's ego dwarfs Dillion's.
    He's easily the most disliked guy in jiu jitsu. I mean he got kick off the stage a while back and nobody gave a crap cos he's an ass.

http://www.flograppling.com/video/996855-2nd-angle-kick#.WI8LSbUxmEc

If that happened to anyone else there would (rightfully) be outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bellator will be in London on May 19th, unsure of venue/card but thats the date set

Hope its Daley MVP.

Ash Daly posted on Facebook that she has retired.

Honestly I don't think Danis will be competing in BJJ for that much longer. He just wants to build his name in MMA by competing against a big name like Jones to break through to the main stream a bit.

If Danis wants to fight mma, then he needs to just go do it. He's not getting int the UFC on a 0-0 record. Go fight a few regional shows and prove you're not cannon fodder instead of trying to ride Conor's knob into the octagon.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Ash Daly posted on Facebook that she has retired.

She showed abnormalities in a brain scan, there was a minor haemorrhage.

She was a legend and I'll never forget the reception she got in Dublin. She's already a top coach and I'm sure she's going to improve even more now that she's doing it full time.

She was a legend and I'll never forget the reception she got in Dublin. She's already a top coach and I'm sure she's going to improve even more now that she's doing it full time.

Totally agree. Absolute legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Didn't John Kavanagh pay for those brain scans?

Tinie wrote: »
    Didn't John Kavanagh pay for those brain scans?

She's been sitting on it a while apparently, I think it's the reason SBG made brain scans mandatory for both pro and ammy fighters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

She'll be on The MMA hour today.

Not too many Irish left in the UFC now

McGregor - ??
    Duffy - active
    Parke - cut
    Seery - retiring
    Pendred - retired
    Hoolihan - retired
    Daly - retired

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »

McGregor - ??
    Duffy - active
    Parke - cut
    Seery - retiring
    Pendred - retired
    Hoolihan - retired
    Daly - retired

Not much coming up either.

CatFromHue wrote: »

McGregor - ??
    Duffy - active
    Parke - cut
    Seery - retiring
    Pendred - retired
    Hoolihan - retired
    Daly - retired

I might be wrong but I think Duffy has only one fight left on his contract so it could be just Conor left after the London event. I presume Ward won't be asked back.

Crazy to think that a country with such huge interest and giving the UFC massive revenue has had no real promotion for new fighters coming through. Bellator could take a massive chunk of that interest. They need to sort out their tv deals before that happens though

I might be wrong but I think Duffy has only one fight left on his contract so it could be just Conor left after the London event. I presume Ward won't be asked back.

Crazy to think that a country with such huge interest and giving the UFC massive revenue has had no real promotion for new fighters coming through. Bellator could take a massive chunk of that interest. They need to sort out their tv deals before that happens though

Duffy will be offered a new contract. He's easily a top 10 fighter in LW.

I can see him finishing the old Iranian early in London and then telling Dana to up dem papes bruv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Duffy will be offered a new contract. He's easily a top 10 fighter in LW.

I can see him finishing the old Iranian early in London and then telling Dana to up dem papes bruv.

Easily? Really?

I had high hopes for him when the UFC signed him but he has not really delivered. 3 impressive wins yes but when he actually faced an opponent of a reasonable calibre he was easily beaten.

And I dont even think that opponent (Poirier) is even top 10 himself.

Duffy sorts out his wrestling he will be top 10, would light them lads on fire at 155 his boxing is high level for mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ais is an absolute legend, will miss watching her fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Yeah I definitely wouldn't call Joe easily top 10, not yet anyway, especially when you consider how competitive 155 is. He's really likeable though and has great potential. He needs to make light work of Madadi, who's potentially a very tough stylistic match up - a very good wrestler. If he can stop the takedown he will box him up but it won't be straightforward. Then he needs another top 15/20 matchup.

Does his performance at London really matter? I'm sure there were a lot of annoyed UFC execs about Duffy asking for more money to appear on the Belfast card. Dana seemed very annoyed so am expecting them to not renew.
    He has an incredible record though for 1st round finishes, would be a pity.

With a lack of stars if they had any sense they would try promote him they are putting on absolute muck fight cards they need people like Duffy.

• Advertisement

Does his performance at London really matter? I'm sure there were a lot of annoyed UFC execs about Duffy asking for more money to appear on the Belfast card. Dana seemed very annoyed so am expecting them to not renew.
    He has an incredible record though for 1st round finishes, would be a pity.

It wasn't money, he wanted a better opponent.

And whoever said Poirier dispatched of him easily, not really. Poirier got lit up on the feet and had to take him down to win it. It was a clear win for Dustin, but not an "easy" fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement