Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tubs has had McGregor twice on the Late Late, both ages ago now, and Kavanagh once so I don't know if he's a fan but he's certainly open to MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Tubs has had McGregor twice on the Late Late, both ages ago now, and Kavanagh once so I don't know if he's a fan but he's certainly open to MMA.

I doubt it's actually Tubridy who chooses the guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

seiphil wrote: »

That may be so but its quiet obvious from watching the interviews mentioned that Tubridy has a certain amount of admiration for McGregor and Kavanagh and he gives the sport some good exposure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

seiphil wrote: »

you're right but neither goes Ray D'arcy and the interviews between Tubs and McG are actually quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

dashoonage wrote: »

**** me, Joe.ie is a cancer. State of that ****ing headline and "article". The worst form of clickbait - "here's what two lads said to each other on Twitter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

**** me, Joe.ie is a cancer. State of that ****ing headline and "article". The worst form of clickbait - "here's what two lads said to each other on Twitter".

Worse still is calling it a "title eliminator" and using a ridiculous comparison to justify those words.

Cody and Conor did get title shots after the Mizugaki and Siver fights (yes) but both those victories moved them to 5-0 in the UFC. Coincidentally both had 4 finishes and 1 decision in their runs.

Artem is currently 2-2 in UFC with no finishes.

There's not a hope in hell Artem moves ahead of Yair, Frankie, Lamas and the loser of Aldo/Holloway.

If i could legally sue them for hurting my eyes with this article I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Ash Daly was on Tubridy this morning, spoke very well and came across brilliantly, as you would expect. Wish her all the best for her retirement, first Irish MMA world champion and a great ambassador for the sport.

Tubs didn't do badly himself, the questions were not an attack on the sport which was nice for a change :)

To be fair to Tubridy he always comes across as very knowledgeable in MMA, even though it may not be his cup of tea entirely. He interviewed Kavanagh on the LLS and even took a trip to SBG beforehand and he seemed to have a good laugh. He's interviewed McGregor a few times and McGregor had him in stitches.

There was a 'sports photo of the year' contest on the late late show before too. I can't remember all the photos exactly but I think there was a Dundalk one, an All Ireland one, one of the Irish rugby team etc. There was a McGregor photo too and the auld lad who was presenting the contest took a dig saying words to the effect of "This one is of Conor McGregor but I'm not sure how you can call this blood bath a sport". Tubridy, quick as anything, defended it straight away saying "Well it mightn't be your cup of tea but a lot of people watch it". He could have let the dig slide but he didn't.

Not a Tubridy fan per se, he's a very good interviewer, no doubt, and it's probably the format of the Late Late Show that turns me off it more than anything else but Tubridy, to be totally fair to him, has always been fair and open minded when it comes to MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Looks like an interesting story. Alvarez v Nate Diaz in UFC 211. Would be a great fight.

http://smackhisface.com/2017/02/04/breaking-news-and-hes-back-nate-diaz-gets-a-super-fight-at-ufc-211/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Is Nate just going to follow around in Conor's shadow from now on until he gets that rematch? Fight who Conor fought, apply for a boxing licence etc etc.

It should be a great match up though if that goes ahead. Look forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Gamebred wrote: »

I wouldn't dismiss the fight by that tweet. It could be a jibe at Alvarez on his last fight and nothing more. It is a fight that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Diaz needs to fight to stay competitive. If he spent 18 months away from a competitive fight and then had to fight the lines of kahbib, Ferguson or McGregor he wouldn't be in good shape for it. Alvarez would be a perfect matchup.

That said, Diaz would be an excellent matchup for Alvarez.

eddie73 wrote: »
    I wouldn't dismiss the fight by that tweet. It could be a jibe at Alvarez on his last fight and nothing more. It is a fight that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Diaz needs to fight to stay competitive. If he spent 18 months away from a competitive fight and then had to fight the lines of kahbib, Ferguson or McGregor he wouldn't be in good shape for it. Alvarez would be a perfect matchup.

That said, Diaz would be an excellent matchup for Alvarez.

Hes not fighting anybody but McGregor, possibly ever again, he went from 40k to 10m with them 2 fights wont get that dough to fight anybody else and he knows it, annoying as a fan but thats his stance on it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Hes not fighting anybody but McGregor, possibly ever again, he went from 40k to 10m with them 2 fights wont get that dough to fight anybody else and he knows it, annoying as a fan but thats his stance on it.

I'd believe Conor got 10m+ and I'd agree he made nate a millionaire, but 10m??? no way

I'd believe Conor got 10m+ and I'd agree he made nate a millionaire, but 10m??? no way

He was on ppv points for both fights I believe someone might have the accurate info on it, he cleared up what ever way and he aint getting that money from anyone else, shame his brother wont take a fight now either presume hes asking for too much too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His disclosed pay was $2.5m, and they did a combined 3m buys.

At $2.50 per buy, it comes to an even $10m.
    $2.50 is pure speculation, but it's probably about right seeing as $1 is basic level, and it increases as sell more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really want to see nate fight someone else next besides conor. Him vs alvarez would be a great 3 round scrap

Mellor wrote: »
    His disclosed pay was $2.5m, and they did a combined 3m buys.

At $2.50 per buy, it comes to an even $10m.
    $2.50 is pure speculation, but it's probably about right seeing as $1 is basic level, and it increases as sell more.
    Nates disclosed pay was 2.5?
    edit: Just looked it up jaysus he got paid a lot. I don't normally look up fighter pay (because I dont care about it) but I have a general idea how much the UFC discloses, my guess for Nate would have been about 500k-1m at most. Fair play to him getting that much money out of the UFC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nates disclosed pay was 2.5?
    edit: Just looked it up jaysus he got paid a lot. I don't normally look up fighter pay (because I dont care about it) but I have a general idea how much the UFC discloses, my guess for Nate would have been about 500k-1m at most. Fair play to him getting that much money out of the UFC.

For the first fight he got 500k and he made 2m for the rematch. He must have played hard ball for the second fight and considering all the cards where in his hands he was right to.

For the first fight he got 500k and he made 2m for the rematch. He must have played hard ball for the second fight and considering all the cards where in his hands he was right to.

Yeah normally I dont care about what a fighter paid as long as they make enough to live but Diaz on 40k in his fight before McGregs was just not fair. Its nice to know Diaz is set for life because the lad is a legend and seems very likable.

• Advertisement

I have a general idea how much the UFC discloses, my guess for Nate would have been about 500k-1m at most. Fair play to him getting that much money out of the UFC.

Other than McGregor, Nate and Brock. They generally don't go above 500k+, no other fighters have been close to $1m.

Hopefully it starts becoming the norm. A lot of fighters might complain about McGregors antics, but the reality is he's the first fighter in a long time to play back at the UFC and and not just roll over and accept their terms, which spills over and benefits everyone.

Other than McGregor, Nate and Brock. They generally don't go above 500k+, no other fighters have been close to $1m
    Ah yeah I know that, like I said I have a general idea of what people get paid. I just didn't think Nate would have been able to manage to push the UFC to pay him that much :D Happy for him, that is a lot of weed he can buy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Other than McGregor, Nate and Brock. They generally don't go above 500k+, no other fighters have been close to $1m.

Hopefully it starts becoming the norm. A lot of fighters might complain about McGregors antics, but the reality is he's the first fighter in a long time to play back at the UFC and and not just roll over and accept their terms, which spills over and benefits everyone.

Ronda too

Ronda too

Yea got something huge for her return. I don't think she her contractual pay was too high before that. Her Brazilian and Aussie pay wasn't disclosed, but she was on 120k and 130k before that.

Obviously cleaned up with PPV points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Holly made 500k in loss to Miesha,Overeem 800k in his loss more than Stipe who is Champ/victorious :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Top 8 finishes from fighters at UFC 208

Yet they left out a certain finish from Holly Holm, UFC are a joke sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9NJX-8kD9Y&index=16&list=WL

Holly made 500k in loss to Miesha,Overeem 800k in his loss more than Stipe who is Champ/victorious :eek:

I don't get why fighters like Stipe complain, you get what is on the contract you sign. If Overeem managed to bargain a better contract then tough sh!t, Stipe surely got ppv points on the backend being champ, so surely his actual real pay was more than Reem. Sure look at Dillashaws pay, I did some reading and saw his pay, its terrible for a guy of his standard.

I can see Cody being their next big super star, not Rhonda or Conor level but i can see him doing a 800k ppv view range, if he can defend once or twice.

edit: I see after looking it up TJ got 200k for his last fight, which isn't bad for a No 1 contender in a not very popular division.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't get why fighters like Stipe complain, you get what is on the contract you sign. If Overeem managed to bargain a better contract then tough sh!t, Stipe surely got ppv points on the backend being champ, so surely his actual real pay was more than Reem. Sure look at Dillashaws pay, I did some reading and saw his pay, its terrible for a guy of his standard.

I can see Cody being their next big super star, not Rhonda or Conor level but i can see him doing a 800k ppv view range, if he can defend once or twice.

edit: I see after looking it up TJ got 200k for his last fight, which isn't bad for a No 1 contender in a not very popular division.

I don't get people siding with a multi billion dollar organisation over fighters who put their health, brain and bodies on the line for our entertainment.

UFC always offers fighters between 5-8 fight contracts minimum. I'm pretty sure Stipe is still on the same base rate he was on before he beat Werdum.

They use this as a tool to keep fighters on the roster, with the caveat that if you win your next fight or a title, we'll renegotiate your pay. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't.

TJ was on 20/20 for his fight before last so fair play to him for getting his moneys worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lukker- wrote: »
    I don't get people siding with a multi billion dollar organisation over fighters who put their health, brain and bodies on the line for our entertainment.

UFC always offers fighters between 5-8 fight contracts minimum. I'm pretty sure Stipe is still on the same base rate he was on before he beat Werdum.

They use this as a tool to keep fighters on the roster, with the caveat that if you win your next fight or a title, we'll renegotiate your pay. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't.

TJ was on 20/20 for his fight before last so fair play to him for getting his moneys worth.

No they don't, they offer newer guys 2-4 at the very most, and there's so many stipulations in there, lose a few and you could have that contract ripped up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

scudzilla wrote: »
    No they don't, they offer newer guys 2-4 at the very most, and there's so many stipulations in there, lose a few and you could have that contract ripped up

That's for new guys, the average for established fighters is 5-8. They gave a 41 year old Anderson Silva a 15 fight contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement