Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's for new guys, the average for established fighters is 5-8. They gave a 41 year old Anderson Silva a 15 fight contract.

Sorry, i misunderstood, when you said that UFC always gives 5-8 fight contracts i thought you meant always, not just some of the time ;)

I don't get people siding with a multi billion dollar organisation over fighters who put their health, brain and bodies on the line for our entertainment.

UFC always offers fighters between 5-8 fight contracts minimum. I'm pretty sure Stipe is still on the same base rate he was on before he beat Werdum.

They use this as a tool to keep fighters on the roster, with the caveat that if you win your next fight or a title, we'll renegotiate your pay. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't.

TJ was on 20/20 for his fight before last so fair play to him for getting his moneys worth.
    • Well I am not siding with the UFC per say, I am saying you can organize your own contracts. You are only worth what people are willing to pay you, if Stipe went to another organization he woudln't get paid more. No one forces them to put their health at risk, they choose to do so. As I said Stipe got ppv points as champion though? so even though his base pay was lower, his take home pay was much higher than Reem.
    • Overreem was a bigger name than Stipe to be fair and was better known so therefore he gets paid more. Conor got paid more than Aldo for their first fight and Aldo was champ, because he is the bigger draw. You get paid what you can negotiation.
    • From listening to podcasts TJ would have been on better money if he had chosen his management a little better. You have to be responsible for your own sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Well I am not siding with the UFC per say, I am saying you can organize your own contracts. You are only worth what people are willing to pay you, if Stipe went to another organization he woudln't get paid more. No one forces them to put their health at risk, they choose to do so. As I said Stipe got ppv points as champion though? so even though his base pay was lower, his take home pay was much higher than Reem.
    • Overreem was a bigger name than Stipe to be fair and was better known so therefore he gets paid more. Conor got paid more than Aldo for their first fight and Aldo was champ, because he is the bigger draw. You get paid what you can negotiation.
    • From listening to podcasts TJ would have been on better money if he had chosen his management a little better. You have to be responsible for your own sh!t.

The Reem is a big name and he's put in the work, he definitely deserves his 800k.

Stipe from what I gather was promised better terms after he beat Werdum, and they kicked the can down the road and said they'd do so after he beat the Reem. I think he was just p*ssed they were prolonging for as long as possible trying to get him to fight for less than he was worth.

The whole TJ and management thing is the case for the majority of fighters. After paying for training camp, partners, coaches, etc doesn't leave a whole bunch for fighters. Getting a good manager seems like a simple step, but they cost $$$, unless you are superstar in the making, good representation doesn't come cheap, I'm sure lots of managers will look for fees up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Do people pay training partners?

I have only trained in one pro gym and normally the guys get together and help each other out, then return the favour if their team mate has a fight coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Do people pay training partners?

They'll fly people in with certain attributes and pay them for the camp.

Woodley bringing Northcutt in for the karate blitz stuff, the Diaz bros pay Schilling for sparring with them for a few weeks most camps, Conor paid Danis and Wallace for training with him, it's very regular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sparring partners brought in from outside the gym = paid.
    Regular training partners from the Gym = unpaid

That's generally what I've seen and I'd imagine it's very common I'd imagine

Mellor wrote: »
    Sparring partners brought in from outside the gym = paid.
    Regular training partners from the Gym = unpaid

That's generally what I've seen and I'd imagine it's very common I'd imagine

Yeah, although I'd say the guys from the gym who travel with the fighter probably get a few bob too, although most of the time they are probably cornering them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Silva's team on embedded looking at bispings belt after saturday, hasnt won a fight since 2012, one win vs brunson hardly close to a title shot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Stipe Miocic v JDS II

This shows how shallow the HW division is. They give a guy (a guy who I have thoroughly enjoyed watching and supported since I first start watching) a title shot with a 3-3 record in his last 6 fights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Couldnt care, the first fight was a classic cant wait for this rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Stipe Miocic v JDS II

This shows how shallow the HW division is. They give a guy (a guy who I have thoroughly enjoyed watching and supported since I first start watching) a title shot with a 3-3 record in his last 6 fights.

Yes he's 3-3 but his losses were to Cain twice in title fights and Overeem in a #1 contender fight

His three wins were effectively 2 #1 contender fights v Hunt and Rothwell (as cain v Werdum had been booked) and the fight v Miocic
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Couldnt care, the first fight was a classic cant wait for this rematch.

Amen it was a classic which arguably Miocic won. As it was a classic you do it over and give Miocic the chance to avenge that loss which is the last defeat he's suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Silva's team on embedded looking at bispings belt after saturday, hasnt won a fight since 2012, one win vs brunson hardly close to a title shot

Deserves a rematch with Bisping after the last fight.
    At this stage the who deserves it arguement means nothing to the UFC, Bisping should never had a title fight, but he got one, Hendo should never have got a title fight against Bisping, but he got one.

Wellcome to the WWUFC.

At this stage the who deserves it arguement means nothing to the UFC, Bisping should never had a title fight, but he got one, Hendo should never have got a title fight against Bisping, but he got one.

Wellcome to the WWUFC.

How do you make out Bisping shouldnt of had a shot? Weidman got injured and he capitalized on it cant knock him, nobody can begrudge him his title shot for his body of work over the years never mind coming off a win over Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wellcome to the WWUFC.

Obviously Hendo didn't deserve it but not fair to say Bisping didn't deserve it.
    Highest ranked fighter, that was available and importantly willing to jump in at the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

How do you make out Bisping shouldnt of had a shot? Weidman got injured and he capitalized on it cant knock him, nobody can begrudge him his title shot for his body of work over the years never mind coming off a win over Silva.

well said sir, he was offered a title fight on 11 days notice against a guy who'd knocked hell out of him, took it and made the most of it. Otherwise we'd have had another cancelled card with no title fights or another interim toy belt..

brinty wrote: »
    Yes he's 3-3 but his losses were to Cain twice in title fights and Overeem in a #1 contender fight

His three wins were effectively 2 #1 contender fights v Hunt and Rothwell (as cain v Werdum had been booked) and the fight v Miocic

Amen it was a classic which arguably Miocic won. As it was a classic you do it over and give Miocic the chance to avenge that loss which is the last defeat he's suffered.

He got absolutely smashed by Cain, twice. Not like either of those fights were even remotely close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It's hard to make an arguement against Junior for the next shot. He's coming off a win and beat Stipe already. Looking at the rest of the division you could maybe argue Werdum deserves a rematch. Other than that Cain injured, Reem last lost to Stipe, Rothwell last lost to Junior, Ngannou unproven, Hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I would agree with him getting the shot. I think sometimes we get too caught up in contenders recent records. If we had to wait for someone to be on a streak against top ranked opponents for every title shot we'd be waiting all year. HW is not deep enough at the top level to expect the contenders to be on a long streak. Stipe himself was 2-1 in getting his title shot, and the wins were against Arlovski and Hunt who are both well last ever being relevant in the title picture.

Mellor wrote: »
    Obviously Hendo didn't deserve it but not fair to say Bisping didn't deserve it.
    Highest ranked fighter, that was available and importantly willing to jump in at the one.

Just on this, while Hendo wasn't on a huge run or anything I think it made the most sense. He had a highlight reel KO the same night Bisping won the belt, and there was the history between them too.

Anybody else as his first defence wouldn't have made much more sense. Rockhold had just been KO'd, Weidman was injured, Jacare was 1-1 in his last 2, Romero was suspended, Mousasi hadn't done a lot recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

It's hard to make an arguement against Junior for the next shot. He's coming off a win and beat Stipe already. Looking at the rest of the division you could maybe argue Werdum deserves a rematch. Other than that Cain injured, Reem last lost to Stipe, Rothwell last lost to Junior, Ngannou unproven, Hunt?

brock is surely off suspension soon? :D

• Advertisement

You laugh but himself and Punk will be booked again by the UFC I reckon.

I'm not saying he shouldn't really get a shot. My point was more about how shít and shallow the HW division is that someone who went 3-3 in their last 6 is getting a shot cause no one else is good enough

Whatever about Brock they'll definitely book Punk again. Didn't his fight sell 650k PPV? Mike Jackson called him out the other day could see that happening

I'm not saying he shouldn't really get a shot. My point was more about how shít and shallow the HW division is that someone who went 3-3 in their last 6 is getting a shot cause no one else is good enough

Yeah the division is quite stale, those same guys have been around for ages. Lots of them get injured regularly as well. I hope Stipe can get a good run of defences and clean the division, he might retire some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Vitor Belfort made his UFC debut 20 years ago. Crazy to think he is set to headline an event 20 years after his debut

Yeah steroids or not that is an incredible run.

Why are they matching Vitor who's on a 2 fight skid against Gastelum anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Gastelum said it was the only fight he was willing to stay at middleweight for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

id be more surprised if they didnt tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lukker- wrote:

Vitor is a gatekeeper now anyway. Nothing more. He's the guy the up and comers get to beat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement