Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Django99 wrote: »
    Just on this, while Hendo wasn't on a huge run or anything I think it made the most sense. He had a highlight reel KO the same night Bisping won the belt, and there was the history between them too.

Anybody else as his first defence wouldn't have made much more sense. Rockhold had just been KO'd, Weidman was injured, Jacare was 1-1 in his last 2, Romero was suspended, Mousasi hadn't done a lot recently.

I'm not sure if those fighter were as unavailable as you suggest. Can't remember specifics but surely it was look at by someone here at the time.

Edit: I'm bored so said I'd check it out
    Rockhold had just been KO'd, Weidman was injured, Jacare was 1-1 in his last 2, Romero was suspended, Mousasi hadn't done a lot recently.

Rockhold KO'd: Yup. Still hasn't fought. Not an option then imo.

Weidman Injured: I'm not sure that's right, He was forced out of 199 with injured and Bisping stepped in. But he's wasn't still injured months later. He fought Yoel at 205 just after Bisping v Hendo. Both fights booked around the same time.

Jacare was 1-1: Eh, so was Hendo :confused: Using that as a reason is weird.
    Jacare was also 4-1 in 5, and 8-1 in 9. Hendo was 2-3 in 5, and 3-6 in 9. Hadn't won two in a row since 2011. Jacare had also beaten Vitor and Gegard - both of which beat Hendo.

Yoel suspended: Nope. His suspension was complete on July 12th. 3 months before UFC 204. Just after Bisping won the title, so well before Hendo was booked.

Mousasi hadn't done a lot: At that point he was 4-1 in the last 18 months. You could argue that they were over second/third tier fighters, which is true. But one of them was Hendo.
    Whatever Gegard had done recently, it was more than Hendo.

So out of that list of 5 unavailable fighters. Only 1 was actually unavailable. The others more made more sense than Hendo on recent performances amd availability.

Hendo was booked because it sells well, and was winnable fighter for either. Both options are bankable to he UFC. Yoel/Jacare/Gegard, not so much.
    Personally I don't have a massive issue with giving Hendo a crack at it. And I don't mind Bisping extending his run slightly. He deserves it. But I'm under no illusions as to what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I was sure Romero and Weidman wasn't booked until after 204, can't believe Romeros ban was over so quick after failing. Still I had no issue with Hendo getting the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

And to follow up on that, there's rumours now that if Silva wins this weekend he'll get a shot before Romero. If that happens, then it's an unjustified title shot. Romero is now the clear number one contender. I don't feel there was a clear one when Bisping won the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

And to follow up on that, there's rumours now that if Silva wins this weekend he'll get a shot before Romero. If that happens, then it's an unjustified title shot. Romero is now the clear number one contender. I don't feel there was a clear one when Bisping won the belt.

That solely comes from Anderson. He said he wants Conor or Bisping if he wins, which is, fanciful. Wouldn't put it past WME to make it though.

• Advertisement

I was sure Romero and Weidman wasn't booked until after 204, can't believe Romeros ban was over so quick after failing. Still I had no issue with Hendo getting the shot.
    Romero v Weidman was at 205 only a month later. It was booked a few months previous in August or September.

There wasn't as clear a number 1 then as there is now. It was a toss up between a few people. None of them were Hendo though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Brock will definitely be back to the UFC before long, his physique has seriously changed in wwe so I'm assuming he has cycled off the Mexican supplements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mellor wrote: »
    Romero v Weidman was at 205 only a month later. It was booked a few months previous in August or September.

This was only booked and signed post 204 in the weeks before the the 205 build up. If you remember the presser where Conor destroyed Stephens, Weidmann says the only got the fight done the night before.
    There wasn't as clear a number 1 then as there is now. It was a toss up between a few people. None of them were Hendo though :pac:

I think Romero v Rockhold makes sense (mainly cos i want someone to smash up Romero) and Rockhold is that guy (much and all as i dislike the cocky pr1ck).

You set up Bisping Rockhold 3... or Romero has beaten everyone there is to beat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

brinty wrote: »
    This was only booked and signed post 204 in the weeks before the the 205 build up. If you remember the presser where Conor destroyed Stephens, Weidmann says the only got the fight done the night before.
    Nah it was booked he just hadn't put pen to paper till post 204 the plan was always to have Weidman fight in New York with Romero the relevant opponent, it had stalled with the Al Iaquinta situation etc but eventually committed after a meeting with Lorenzo the UFC were able to make it official then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holloway Aldo set for 212 in June. So ****ing far away, I actually forgot which of them was the real champ as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Holloway Aldo set for 212 in June. So ****ing far away, I actually forgot which of them was the real champ as it is.

they should give Holloway someone else and strip Aldo of his fake belt. anyone see Hollway dressed up as (Wheres)Wally at last fight night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Got to say the ufc are on a roll this year with the ppv events. The cards main events from 209 - 212 look very tasty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I'm guessing it's in June so that whoever wins would fight again in the Autumn/Winter say when someone comes back from their time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I know 208 is a bit weak for a numbered card but still surprised not to see a thread for it on the day of the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

JJayoo wrote: »
    Brock will definitely be back to the UFC before long, his physique has seriously changed in wwe so I'm assuming he has cycled off the Mexican supplements.

I vaguely remember reading a report in a sleepy daze about a load of fighters who've been cut/retired and Mr Lesnar was on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I know 208 is a bit weak for a numbered card but still surprised not to see a thread for it on the day of the event!

Seems a solid Card but ya for PPV no marquee main to do good numbers wise. I'd start a thread meself but only access is through phone at min. A lacklustre thread wouldn't go astray for discussion as it stands.

theteal wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading a report in a sleepy daze about a load of fighters who've been cut/retired and Mr Lesnar was on the list

Most likely just a ploy so they can sell his comeback again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Mc call gone to hospital. Out of his fight tonight.

5 cancellations in a row for him now. I'd say he's just gonna retire at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ar-tem v Cub confirmed, proof Conor has them by the balls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Ar-tem v Cub confirmed, proof Conor has them by the balls.

Cub should handle the flowy one easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its also a main event haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ASOT wrote: »
    Its also a main event haha

Absolute joke of a card so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How the hell is Lobov getting a main event slot? Hilarious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looks like some one is having some fun on wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artem_Lobov

079eNE6.png

Goes to show what an absolute joke the UFC has turned into, next Charlie ward will be getting a main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Gamebred wrote: »
    Goes to show what an absolute joke the UFC has turned into, next Charlie ward will be getting a main event.

he'll probably slip in ahead of yoel for bispings next the way things are going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Depp wrote: »
    he'll probably slip in ahead of yoel for bispings next the way things are going :D

You know nothing. Charlie is ww so he'll get the winner of wonderboy v woodley ll

McGregor is pulling the strings still he probably rang Dana and demanded to get Ar-tem a main event, he'd get his owl one a fight in the UFC if he wanted, Cub should be fighting korean Zombie or someone relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I cant take this **** seriously anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement