Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I have zero problem with buddies of McG getting a push. The UFC will be hoping McG will feature heavily in the embedded series and will be ringside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

be some laugh now if artem actually wins this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

King artem the goat will slay cub and feast on his soul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

But wtf will happen if artem wins? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

He probably gets the winner of Holloway/Aldo :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

ricero wrote: »
    King artem the goat will slay cub and feast on his soul

Flash standing hammer-fist KO in the first round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I've absolutely no problem with the Swanson v Artem fight and anybody who does is being disingenuous.

Swanson is ranked 4th and has losses on his record to everyone ranked above him. Aldo beat him, Lamas beat him, Edgar beat him and Holloway beat him.

Aldo and Holloway are tied up and both Frankie and Lamas have publicly stated they want to fight each other.

So the only fights that make sense for Swanson are lower-ranked opponents.

Anthony Pettis is surely done at FW.
    Charles Oliveira already lost to Swanson.
    Yair received an indefinite medical suspension other week.
    Brian Ortega is out injured for 2017.
    Dennis Bermudez got KO'd stiff a week ago.
    Dooho Choi already signed to fight Renan Barao.
    Elkins and Bektic are already signed to fight.

There's practically nobody for Swanson to fight that makes sense.

Artem is as good a choice as anyone else, assuming Cub wants the money (which he clearly does).

Style wise it'll be a fun fight, they'll both at least try throw bombs.

People begrudging this bout are not looking at the bigger picture at 145lbs. I highly doubt Swanson is next in-line for the winner of Aldo-Holloway so he may as well stay active.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Korean Zombie was the fight.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Korean Zombie was the fight.

Man, that's far too quick a turn-around coming off a 3-year lay-off and against an opponent too tough.

They shouldn't rush him back. 8 weeks is too quick a turnaround and he's a potential opponent for the title. I know you're gonna say it wasn't much of a fight and he KO'd him quick but it's still back-to-back training camps.

April is too soon for KZ.

He should be looking at June and someone like Renan Barao would be an ideal stepping stone for the Zombie.

I honestly believe the UFC have decided to push Zombie and Yair. They won't rush them.

True, I've no bother with the fight and Artem is hardly gonna say no to big fights but main eventing a card I dont agree with but I'm used to it now in this new era in the UFC with Derek Lewis main eventing cards, watered down muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Artem is gonna win and call out Conor. 2 division champ before the end of 2017.

How do you give KZ Barao??

Zombie/Swanson was the fight to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

How do you give KZ Barao??

Zombie/Swanson was the fight to make.

I think you are mixing up:
    Chan Sung "The Korean Zombie"
    Doo Ho "The Korean Superboy" - who is fighting Barao :)

Wonderfullife makes a good point, in this very specific case the fight makes sense. If a few more fighters were available it would be a bit pointless for Swanson.

Huge opportunity for Artem, I do enjoy a fight where one guy has a huge opportunity to rise - like if Tim Boetsch had won! (Sometimes its good to get confirmation that the rankings are still *roughly* representative.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think you are mixing up:
    Chan Sung "The Korean Zombie"
    Doo Ho "The Korean Superboy" - who is fighting Barao :)

No, he's not. WL suggested Zombie vs. Barao could be a fight to make for June.

Not outraged by the fight but I couldn't be less interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

No, he's not. WL suggested Zombie vs. Barao could be a fight to make for June.

Oh I thought he was reacting to this post, apologies then
    Dooho Choi already signed to fight Renan Barao.

I looked it up anyway and the latest is that its not happening so it doesn't matter:
    https://twitter.com/MMAjunkieJohn/status/830640901689135104

Oh I thought he was reacting to this post, apologies then

I looked it up anyway and the latest is that its not happening so it doesn't matter:
    https://twitter.com/MMAjunkieJohn/status/830640901689135104

As above, was reacting to the mention of Chan Sung Jung being given Renan Barao. About as ludicrous as Artem/Swanson but not quite :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

JK says big announcements imminent and fights for Gunni and Queally...

I'm calling it now
    Wonderboy is injured, Conor v Woodley for 170 title...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gunni was announced earlier, fighting Jouban in London

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/831427781867171840

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Like any retirement in mma, means nothing look forward to seeing him in Summer.

• Advertisement

He was still in the USADA test pool, so this is purely to get out of that. Someone mentioned that his physique has noticeably changed in the WWE so he most likely just wants to get back on the Mexican supplements, probably in time for Wrestlemania.

His suspension gets frozen, so if he ever comes back he still has 5 months to serve and he has to re-enter the test pool. Makes a return to MMA unlikely. (while being able to maintain his physique)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not really. His retirement means he'll have to do a four months in the usada pool before he could fight. Which means if he's gonna fight on the summer card he'll have to make in comeback in the next few weeks.

And before somebody says it, he didn't get an exemption last time. THe 4 months doesn't apply to new fighters or fighters moving into the usada pool for the first time.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    His suspension gets frozen, so if he ever comes back he still has 5 months to serve and he has to re-enter the test pool. Makes a return to MMA unlikely. (while being able to maintain his physique)

Suspension frozen? You sure about that?
    I've never heard of retirement affecting a suspension before.

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really. His retirement means he'll have to do a four months in the usada pool before he could fight. Which means if he's gonna fight on the summer card he'll have to make in comeback in the next few weeks.

And before somebody says it, he didn't get an exemption last time. THe 4 months doesn't apply to new fighters or fighters moving into the usada pool for the first time.

Suspension frozen? You sure about that?
    I've never heard of retirement affecting a suspension before.

Yeah, it's USADA wide policy. Stop people from retiring and juicing, then returning. USADA still test suspended fighters. It's why Brock wants to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, it's USADA wide policy. Stop people from retiring and juicing, then returning. USADA still test suspended fighters. It's why Brock wants to get out of it.
    To prevent fighters retiring and juicing is why they have to do 4 months when they come back, that's separate from suspensions though. Obviously suspended fighters still should absolutely to be tested (Ricardo Abreu recently failed again 6 month into a two year ban). And I'd well believe that's the reason Brock wants out of the pool.

But I wasn't aware they freeze his suspension, as I thought its was a NSAC suspension, not USADA directly. Unless the freeze is a UFC driven policy.
    In that case it makes sense that he waited until now to retire. Normally he'd have to 4 months anyway upon return. The freeze menas he has to do 4 months and 2 weeks.

Ok I'll rephrase that look forward to seeing him 4 months from July, he will get juiced to the gills in the mean time, UFC need stars they will get him back this year at some stage.

GSP agrees new deal with UFC according to Ariel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

GSP agrees new deal with UFC according to Ariel.

Reckon he be fighting bisping on his return for the middleweight title by the sounds of it. Bisping mentioned it on the mma hour on monday

ricero wrote: »
    Reckon he be fighting bisping on his return for the middleweight title by the sounds of it. Bisping mentioned it on the mma hour on monday

No-brainer financially. Will rightly do 4 or 5 times the PPV number of Bisping v Romero, possibly more if they stack the card.

I have a feeling Dana is working behind the scenes to get Nick and Nate back in action and (probably) Ronda v Holly 2.

After the fiasco that was UFC 208, alarm bells must be ringing in WME/IMG. Wouldn't be surprised if they put a rocket up Dana's arse to get some big-names back pronto.

I've a feeling we might see Lawler GSP.

• Advertisement

I've a feeling we might see Lawler GSP.

Certainly possible and it'd be a great fight on paper.

I have a sneaking suspicion Lawler's chin died as a result of the MacDonald and Condit fights though so he might be a bit gun-shy and it could make for a boring fight if GSP is rusty and wrestles his way to victory.

Lawler barely threw a single punch in the Woodley fight and the first one to hit him clean KO'd him stiff.

I think Bisping or Nick Diaz would be the fights they'll look to make before Lawler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement