Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

On another note, did anyone look down the undercard of tomorrow nights bellator card? There is some lads fighting with funy records, 0 wins 3 losses v 0 0 and ****e like that, They have some good fighters in Bellator but the depth is shockingly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Krylovs been released by the ufc; what a strange one.

Sorry just realised he decided not to resign!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

martyos121 wrote: »
    Georges St. Pierre is officially a UFC fighter once again:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/17/14652398/georges-st-pierre-officially-re-signs-with-ufc

Whether he's lost a step or not, I'm absolutely dying to see him back in the octagon, my favourite fighter ever and a strong contender for GOAT.

Why is there talk of him fighting at MW. He was always welterweight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭xtal191

ASOT wrote: »

Is it true they let Horiguchi go too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

xtal191 wrote: »
    Is it true they let Horiguchi go too?

Yeah he was gone in the first wave, mma.fighting had the list up some decent fighters gone. Defo gonna trim the amount of cards id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ASOT wrote: »

Offer was muck apparently, Circunov who beat him in their last outings opted not to resign a few weeks back also if any department needs talent it's LHW some prospects they were too.

Rick Story and Valerie Letourneau I think had fights left on contract but were let go also, n also true Horoguchi is a free agent.

CM Punk and Dodger Montano still on the books then sad times :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rick Story and Valerie Letourneau I think had fights left on contract but were let go also, n also true Horoguchi is a free agent.

I believe thwy were both out of contract and not resigned.

Letourneau fought for the title on Aussie stadium card. But then went on a 3 fight slide.

Rick Story is a real surprise, only lost to Cowboy, had solid wins at WW and was ranked consistently.

Cole Miller also cut, less of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mellor wrote: »
    I believe thwy were both out of contract and not resigned.

Rick Story is a real surprise, only lost to Cowboy, had solid wins at WW and was ranked consistently.

Ah...probably the case so

Ya Story with a wins over Gunni & Saffedine before Cowboy loss baffling really.

Ah...probably the case so

Ya Story with a wins over Gunni & Saffedine before Cowboy loss baffling really.
    There could be more to the story of course. Maybe he declined their offer thinking he can do better in Belator. He's a good fighter but destined to be a perpetual gatekeeper in given the guys at the top of his division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I see Al is back, great news, I wonder did he get a better contract or not, he is on mmahour today so I guess we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I really want TJ Grant to make a comeback. The guy was on a major streak and earned a title shot before missing fights due to injury and eventually retired. According to wikipedia, he was working in a mine as of 2015. He was at his absolute prime when he walked away. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I really want TJ Grant to make a comeback. The guy was on a major streak and earned a title shot before missing fights due to injury and eventually retired. According to wikipedia, he was working in a mine as of 2015. He was at his absolute prime when he walked away. Shame.

Didnt he have problems with a concussion? Was on mma hour a good while back talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Didnt he have problems with a concussion? Was on mma hour a good while back talking about it.

That was my memory of it too. He was due a title shot but suffered a concussion in training and it took him out of a few fights and eventually he walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

DrPhilG wrote: »
    That was my memory of it too. He was due a title shot but suffered a concussion in training and it took him out of a few fights and eventually he walked away.

From what i remember he had issues from it for a good while after. Not sure if he is still having problems right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-martial-arts-fighter-seriously-12643529

Anyone see this? Terry Etim has some problems going on. Will always be remembered for that kick from Barboza

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dom Cruz live on rogan now.

Paddy Holohan has left SBG Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Paddy Holohan has left SBG Tallaght.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057709681

Maia v Masvidal rumoured to be in the works,

Tough spot for Maia having to fight instead of getting the title shot, risky but can see him hitting the single and choking my namesake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamebred wrote: »
    Maia v Masvidal rumoured to be in the works,

Tough spot for Maia having to fight instead of getting the title shot, risky but can see him hitting the single and choking my namesake.

As much as I love watching Maia doing his thing, I'm really worried about him taking any more fights until he gets a chance at the title. He fully deserves a shot and Masvidal is riding a wave of confidence after murking Cerrone, it's a risk for sure. He should wait it out unless he really needs the money.

Waiting it out, while common, shouldn't be the default option imo.
    Woodley is booked to rematch Wonderboy. No reason for Maia to sit out for close to a year. Take out Masvidal now times well for a title fight around July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Woodley is booked to rematch Wonderboy. No reason for Maia to sit out for close to a year. Take out Masvidal now times well for a title fight around July.

True but wonderboy wins we're going for three regardless

Maia staying active is sensible unless they go with him and gsp for #1 contender???

brinty wrote: »

Dont agree, Woodley is a pain in the arse for the UFC does nothing but moan about how hes treated and race baits, they are praying Wonerboy head kicks him dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Gamebred wrote: »
    Dont agree, Woodley is a pain in the arse for the UFC does nothing but moan about how hes treated and race baits, they are praying Wonerboy head kicks him dead.

I'd like not love to see that mate

Wonderboy needs the kicks going early and often

I'd imagine they'd love wonderboy and ferguson victories

brinty wrote: »

Maia staying active is sensible unless they go with him and gsp for #1 contender???
    I'm be shocked if they sign an immediate trilogy match. I don't think it's ever happened either.

I think GSP will tune up with a money fight before going after the title (imo).
    He won't be back until around September/October.

The winner of Woodley v Wonderboy will want to defend in July or August I'd guess.

The UFC clearly aren't too gone on the idea of him fighting for the title (he should be in Wonderboy's position, about to fight Woodley for the belt), if he loses to Masvidal then he'll be sent to the back of the line without hesitation. From his and his fans' point of view, that's reason enough IMO.

The UFC clearly aren't too gone on the idea of him fighting for the title (he should be in Wonderboy's position, about to fight Woodley for the belt), if he loses to Masvidal then he'll be sent to the back of the line without hesitation. From his and his fans' point of view, that's reason enough IMO.
    They might not be doing backflips to skip him up the queue, but I don't think they've gone out of their way to block him, yet at least.

Wonderboy was always ahead on him in the title picture imo. Wonderboy fighting first was completely reasonable. I don't think there's any substance to a claim that WB skipped Maia at 205. Then, WB v Woodley was a draw, I think everyone agreed on that. Sure they could have put WB back into the queue. But I don't think there has any situation where an immediate rematch is more deserving, than a draw. I can think of it happening twice before and both times they booked the rematch straight away.

If we had a winner at 205 and Maia wasn't next. I'd have said he was screwed over. Obviously if he doesn't get it next, I think the same. But until that happens, I don't think its fair to begrudge Wonderboy his shot.

They might not be doing backflips to skip him up the queue, but I don't think they've gone out of their way to block him, yet at least.

Wonderboy was always ahead on him in the title picture imo. Wonderboy fighting first was completely reasonable. I don't think there's any substance to a claim that WB skipped Maia at 205. Then, WB v Woodley was a draw, I think everyone agreed on that. Sure they could have put WB back into the queue. But I don't think there has any situation where an immediate rematch is more deserving, than a draw. I can think of it happening twice before and both times they booked the rematch straight away.

If we had a winner at 205 and Maia wasn't next. I'd have said he was screwed over. Obviously if he doesn't get it next, I think the same. But until that happens, I don't think its fair to begrudge Wonderboy his shot.

I'm not disagreeing about Wonderboy deserving his shot, I just would've liked to see Maia get his first, that's all. They're about equal in terms of being the true #1 contender in my opinion, and the UFC went for what is undoubtedly the more lucrative fight, which is perfectly understandable. It's just the Maia fanboy in me wanting to see him at the top of his division, he's been a favourite of mine for a long time so I've let some bias slip in to my posts. I'm just worried about him taking a fight in the meantime, losing and being sent down the pecking order, I'd like to see him wait this out.

• Advertisement

[
    I'm not disagreeing about Wonderboy deserving his shot, I just would've liked to see Maia get his first, that's all. They're about equal in terms of being the true #1 contender in my opinion, and the UFC went for what is undoubtedly the more lucrative fight,
    They're equal or close to equal now. But they weren't last year when the fight was made. Thompson was a step ahead of Maia the whole way (Beating Hendricks and McDonald). And I'm saying both as a Maia and a BJJ fan. I'd love to see him giftwrap either Woodley or Thompson for the belt.
    I'm just worried about him taking a fight in the meantime, losing and being sent down the pecking order, I'd like to see him wait this out.
    The difference is I'm not worried. Jorge gonna getting choked :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement