Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Gamebred wrote: »
    Dont agree, Woodley is a pain in the arse for the UFC does nothing but moan about how hes treated and race baits, they are praying Wonerboy head kicks him dead.

I've a bad feeling he'll win the rematch and we'll have to suffer him for another six months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Don't think Woodley-Wonderboy trilogy happens either. People forgetting that the result of first fight was a draw, albeit a controversial one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Have no real appetite for this rematch as it is, be surprised if Wonderboy can beat him expect a lot more wreslting from Woodley too in this,

Maia will strangle Masvidal hit the single leg and its game over if he can take down Rory Condit Chael and anyone else hes taking down Masvidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Maia will be champ. There is nothing anyone can do to stop it. The BJJ Gods have willed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Maia is 40 this year as well.

Absolutely no sign he's on the decline yet obviously but it can happen fast once you hit that age. He needs the shot this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mdwexford wrote: »
    Maia is 40 this year as well.

Absolutely no sign he's on the decline yet obviously but it can happen fast once you hit that age. He needs the shot this year.
    True. Something that stands to him is the fact he's taken about 14 strikes in his last 4 or 5 fights combined.
    He has reverse mileage compared to the guys in war after war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I seem to remember him being about 30 when he joined the UFC, an age when many fighters are starting to wind down their careers he was just getting started.

Like Randy Couture before him, I think there is something to be said about longevity when entering the top level at an older age. Roughly a pro career lasts about 10 years, it seems like starting later in some cases helps them carry on to an older age than someone starting out at 20 and hoping to get a 20 year career out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    The difference is I'm not worried. Jorge gonna getting choked :pac:

Jorge gonna be wearing that Brazillian backpack from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I seem to remember him being about 30 when he joined the UFC, an age when many fighters are starting to wind down their careers he was just getting started.

Like Randy Couture before him, I think there is something to be said about longevity when entering the top level at an older age. Roughly a pro career lasts about 10 years, it seems like starting later in some cases helps them carry on to an older age than someone starting out at 20 and hoping to get a 20 year career out of it.

That only really applies to guys coming from BJJ and wrestling though doesn't it?

If you are coming from kickboxing, muay thai or boxing you'll still likely have lots of miles on the clock, be it from sparring or fighting.

Grapplers only real wear and tear would be on their joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Lukker- wrote: »
    That only really applies to guys coming from BJJ and wrestling though doesn't it?

If you are coming from kickboxing, muay thai or boxing you'll still likely have lots of miles on the clock, be it from sparring or fighting.

Grapplers only real wear and tear would be on their joints.

I don't think it can be genealised to a particular style.

How long they've been training as an amateur/semi pro would matter more. Someone who was a high level amateur as a teenager will have been training nearly 20 years when they are in their 30s

Of course luck is a big part an amature/semi pro career with few injuries wouldn't add much mileage compared to one with a few injuries.

• Advertisement

I don't think it can be genealised to a particular style.

How long they've been training as an amateur/semi pro would matter more. Someone who was a high level amateur as a teenager will have been training nearly 20 years when they are in their 30s

I think you actually can generalize tbh. Somebody coming from BJJ to MMA at a later age might have less mileage (as Marty described) but I don't think you could say the same about a guy who was a pro kickboxer/muay thai fighter before moving to MMA. He'd be racking up the same mileage in both sports imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Maia v Masvidal is booked for 211, which suggests either GSP or McGregor will fight the winner of Woodley/Thompson. Probably GSP.

I would pick Maia to win but Masvidal is a dangerous fight for him.

Maia by whateverthe****hewantstoplata.

Its all fun and games until Main takes your back and gets the hooks in.

Django99 wrote: »
    Maia v Masvidal is booked for 211, which suggests either GSP or McGregor will fight the winner of Woodley/Thompson. Probably GSP.
    I don't think Maia booking a fight means anything tbh. The winner wasn't defending in 8 weeks time. Probably not until July or August, plenty of time for Maia.

GSP won't be fighting until later than that again.

Woodley is due to take 6 months off after this anyways for a movie I read, if theres is an mma god he will give us a wonderboy wheel kick ko of him.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think Maia booking a fight means anything tbh. The winner wasn't defending in 8 weeks time. Probably not until July or August, plenty of time for Maia.

GSP won't be fighting until later than that again.

You may be right but I can't see him being next at this point. When the rematch was booked he came out publicly and said he would wait for the winner of the rematch. I don't see why he would change his mind and book a fight for two months after the rematch if he still felt he was next in line.

Has to earn money somehow though I suppose and there's not many ways for a UFC fighter to do it other than fight.

I kinda want to see Wonderboy and Maia fight....just for the most polite trash talk ever.

Dana just announced Bisping v GSP on ESPN for second half of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Poor Yoel / Jacare.

Another division clogged up now too, wont hear people moan though like they do about Conor.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Another division clogged up now too, wont hear people moan though like they do about Conor.

the dont want no Yoel as champ...christ the WME era is a ****ing joke. Whats the point of working your way to no 1 contender anymore.

Yoel and Jacare for the number one contender without Yoel taking banned substances will probably happen so.

This is all Lukes fault.

He shouldnt have to, he beat Jacare (officially) not long ago, Romero Jacare Mousasi and possibly Rockhold all getting ****ed over for the next year with this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jacare vs the winner of Weidman/Mouasasi

and Rockhold vs Yoel?

Whoever wins in most decisive fashion gets the shot.

Whoever gets the next shot it will be at least 12 months from now, with the other waiting at least 18 months.

I reckon we're gonna be seeing more interim straps to sort this out.

Dana said the Conor vs GSP fight never came close to happening.

its guaranteed to happen so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,779 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I don't believe a letter of that.

GSP v Conor is 100% what they would've been wanting to do.

• Advertisement

I actually think GSP is taking the Bisping fight cos he wants nothing to do with Woodley. If he wins I don't expect him to defend the strap, he said before coming back that he was only interested in the big(money) fights.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement