Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

More hype from Dana. He's getting more full of **** as time goes on.

Absolutely far fetched,Nick I'd love to see fight Lawler again it would be gold but Nate would have no chance Rory MacDonald had sex with Nate,I remember talking to Rory about that fight when he was in here and he was laughing say how easy a fight Nate was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Gamebred wrote: »
    Absolutely far fetched,Nick I'd love to see fight Lawler again it would be gold but Nate would have no chance Rory MacDonald had sex with Nate,I remember talking to Rory about that fight when he was in here and he was laughing say how easy a fight Nate was.

Nick and Robbie would be fantastic. Hard to justify tho (apart from hype and dollars). When was the last time Nick won a fight?

Nick and Robbie would be fantastic. Hard to justify tho (apart from hype and dollars). When was the last time Nick won a fight?

Yeah hard to sell to the casuals when they see nicks record alright but really losing 3 decisions to a roided silva,gsp the ww goat and condit who ran from him nothing wrong with them I think he'd give Lawler awful problems again imagine him taunting him it would be gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Aldo has hired a new PR guy I'd imagine.

He'll have Ali Abdel-Aziz running his Twitter next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gamebred wrote: »
    How in gods earth is there talk of Nate Diaz fighting Robbie Lawler? he beat a featherweight ffs he would be broken by that machine.

Yet when the same featherweight was being set up to fight Rob you were jumping with joy.

• Advertisement

Yet when the same featherweight was being set up to fight Rob you were jumping with joy.

Wrong,I was laughing about it would you like me to bump the post,I actually posted a gif of lawler taking a bomb from hendricks and laughing at it so you can apoligise thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Ridiculous as it may seem I can actually see Diaz getting a title shot at WW. I have a feeling the ufc brass still want to see conor mcgregor fight RDA and by giving nate a shot at WW gold, that door (Mcg vs. RDA) is possibly still open to them. McGregor is still a huge cash cow for them and will do whatever match making gymnastics they need to in order to make a huge PPV draw materialise. Diaz vs Lawler and RDA vs Conor equals two huge PPV draws and it's all about the bottom line at the end of the day.

Stranger things have happened. Never forget, this is the promotion that signed CM Punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

John_D80 wrote: »
    Ridiculous as it may seem I can actually see Diaz getting a title shot at WW. I have a feeling the ufc brass still want to see conor mcgregor fight RDA and by giving nate a shot at WW gold, that door (Mcg vs. RDA) is possibly still open to them. McGregor is still a huge cash cow for them and will do whatever match making gymnastics they need to in order to make a huge PPV draw materialise. Diaz vs Lawler and RDA vs Conor equals two huge PPV draws and it's all about the bottom line at the end of the day.

Stranger things have happened. Never forget, this is the promotion that signed CM Punk.

I have to agree. UFC has become more about making the big money fights, even over ones that make sense.
    RDA already has a completely one-sided win over Diaz. Nate matches up far better with Robbie. Both will stand and trade, Nate will talk/taunt to him the whole fight. Nate can take a shot, I think he has proven that.

IMO Robbie KOs him, but I wouldn't be as against seeing it as many in here.
    Only bugbear for me is that people are getting "passed over" again i.e. Woodley, Thompson/McDonald.

As far as McGregor goes, he has cleaned out the FW division bar Edgar. That's the fight I've wanted to see for over a year and the one they should make. If he wins the fight, then go after RDA.

lougal88 wrote: »
    I have to agree. UFC has become more about making the big money fights, even over ones that make sense.
    RDA already has a completely one-sided win over Diaz. Nate matches up far better with Robbie. Both will stand and trade, Nate will talk/taunt to him the whole fight. Nate can take a shot, I think he has proven that.

IMO Robbie KOs him, but I wouldn't be as against seeing it as many in here.
    Only bugbear for me is that people are getting "passed over" again i.e. Woodley, Thompson/McDonald.

As far as McGregor goes, he has cleaned out the FW division bar Edgar. That's the fight I've wanted to see for over a year and the one they should make. If he wins the fight, then go after RDA.

Biggest question though has to be, who do the UFC want him to fight? My moneys on RDA (just about!!) and I think they will steer him in that direction.

One way or another there is a big announcement coming in a few short weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Biggest question though has to be, who do the UFC want him to fight? My moneys on RDA (just about!!) and I think they will steer him in that direction.

One way or another there is a big announcement coming in a few short weeks. :D

are you talking about McG? no way do they give him RDA after that. he's back to FW, end of story.

• Advertisement

are you talking about McG? no way do they give him RDA after that. he's back to FW, end of story.

I am and it sounds crazy, I know. Return to FW is obviously what makes most sense from a fighters and fans point of view.

Was just pointing out that the way fans and promoters think is quite often miles apart. If the UFC think they can make a tonne of money off McG/RDA, they will make it happen and put a spin on it, regardless of how bad it looks.

And if they need to push Diaz into a WW title fight to make it (RDA vs McG) happen then they will have no hesitation.

I genuinely wouldnt be surprised if Conor still got the lw title fight next,this is the ufc were talking about.

I am and it sounds crazy, I know. Return to FW is obviously what makes most sense from a fighters and fans point of view.

Was just pointing out that the way fans and promoters think is quite often miles apart. If the UFC think they can make a tonne of money off McG/RDA, they will make it happen and put a spin on it, regardless of how bad it looks.

And if they need to push Diaz into a WW title fight to make it (RDA vs McG) happen then they will have no hesitation.

i'd say you'd have a mutiny on your hands. He got destroyed by a top 10 fighter, no way he gets a title shot straight after a defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought Nate against Robbie was mad but I agree with the above posts. From UFC's view, it removes Nate from the picture, let Conor defend his FW against either Aldo or Frankie (as much as this forum doesn't need another Conor thread, it would be good to see who people think the first title defense should be against, Conor did say it would depend who the fans want). If he wins, Then possibly vacate the belt and insta challenge for LW belt.

I'd much prefer if they give Nate an instant title shot at RDA at 200, Conor defend FW at 200 also, then if both win, epic rematch in the 3rd/4th quarter. If Nate loses, Conor could go against RDA instead, still a big interest. Main thing is defending the 145 first and both Aldo and Frankie will be very very tough fights (Aldo will NOT go lunging in face first again, will be a completely different fight)

i'd say you'd have a mutiny on your hands. He got destroyed by a top 10 fighter, no way he gets a title shot straight after a defeat.

You really think the UFC would care when they would get two HUGE PPV events out of it?

Edgar got a tile shot at FW after two consecutive defeats at LW. There is definitely a precedent there whereby Conor could get a shot at LW title next. Especially if they engineer it so that Diaz gets a shot at WW title .

You really think the UFC would care when they would get two HUGE PPV events out of it?

Edgar got a tile shot at FW after two consecutive defeats at LW. There is definitely a precedent there whereby Conor could get a shot at LW title next. Especially if they engineer it so that Diaz gets a shot at WW title .

I think even the UFC would struggle to justify a title shot for McG at 155 next. The difference with Frankie getting Aldo after two losses is that he was dropping to a lower weight class. Also if I remember correctly there wasn't really anyone else pushing for a FW title shot at that point. At LW you have a couple guys who could justify a shot at RDA. But this is the UFC so I guess nothing should surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Also Edgars losses to Benson were close decisions the second fight being razor thin , McGregor tapped to the number 6 guy who took the fight at 11 days notice.

Lads not a hope he fights RDA next don't get me wrong I'm used to being baffled by the UFC announcing bouts over the expected but the gamble against Diaz didn't pay off and the UFC aren't gonna keep the FW title on the shelf on another gamble ultimately Conor hasn't the control he had while unbeaten in the company. What if extremely possible he loses to RDA where does he go from there? A title holder loses 2 in a row but he goes around calling himself a champion?

Conor will want to rebuild on this loss it's not the end of the world his future is clearly at LW but the rebuild must at least temporarily come at FW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah the only possible way they could spin it is if Dana says he promised Conor he could still have his RDA title shot regardless of what happened vs Nate as a reward for taking another fight on short notice and saving the ppv.

He obviously doesn't deserve it on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Also Edgars losses to Benson were close decisions the second fight being razor thin

I thought Edgar won both fights TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I thought Edgar won both fights TBH!

I thought he won the second one for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

When do they usually announce UFC Dublin?
    Any chance of a good card this year with the push on in europe/pushing Fightpass?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

LaGlisse wrote: »
    When do they usually announce UFC Dublin?
    Any chance of a good card this year with the push on in europe/pushing Fightpass?

Didnt get announced till the start of July last year so could be quite a wait.

Hopefully we get a card this year and hopefully its a good one, they kinda owe us after last year falling apart.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Didnt get announced till the start of July last year so could be quite a wait.

Hopefully we get a card this year and hopefully its a good one, they kinda owe us after last year falling apart.

There's a very good chance we wont get a card this year. Didn't I hear the European rep for UFC say lately that nothing is planned for Ireland in 2016 but you never know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think putting Nate against Lawler makes the most sense for the UFC. They need to strike now with him and give him a title shot, as he has huge name recognition now and he’ll likely lose to most of the top contenders at both WW and LW. In Lawler they have the much bigger draw and he will give the more exciting fight. It also keeps Diaz away from losing to RDA, as it would be a tougher sell to put Conor against RDA (presuming he defends his FW title) if RDA steamrolls Diaz again.

At the minute everyone except Condit and Woodley are matched up and I wouldn’t mind seeing the two of them fighting again, as I’m not bothered by not having another instant rematch and Woodley is the least deserving of a shot within the top contenders.

Obviously if GSP comes back he’ll slot in ahead of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think putting Nate against Lawler makes the most sense for the UFC. They need to strike now with him and give him a title shot, as he has huge name recognition now and he’ll likely lose to most of the top contenders at both WW and LW. In Lawler they have the much bigger draw and he will give the more exciting fight. It also keeps Diaz away from losing to RDA, as it would be a tougher sell to put Conor against RDA (presuming he defends his FW title) if RDA steamrolls Diaz again.

At the minute everyone except Condit and Woodley are matched up and I wouldn’t mind seeing the two of them fighting again, as I’m not bothered by not having another instant rematch and Woodley is the least deserving of a shot within the top contenders.

Obviously if GSP comes back he’ll slot in ahead of them all.

I reckon if GSP comes back, it's at middleweight, he's been looking huge for the past year or so (he also said he could make lightweight in the past though).

As for Condit vs. Woodley 2, I'd be happy to see that again. First fight ended very unfortunately for Condit and I'd fancy him to have beaten Woodley that night had his knee not blown out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just watched the Woodley Condit fight there and it looked like Woodley won the first round and was winning the second one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Just watched the Woodley Condit fight there and it looked like Woodley won the first round and was winning the second one too.

He also kept hitting the knee which started off the damage before the TD. He was going to win if he kept the game plan up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

WOW....

379845.PNG

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    WOW....

379845.PNG

that fight ticks a lot of boxes tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

God, Nate would get tooled (again) if he goes up to WW and fights anyone ranked, never mind Lawler. Or GSP, if he came back in decent shape.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement