Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't believe a letter of that.

GSP v Conor is 100% what they would've been wanting to do.

For sure they want it, they can't force Conor to take it though. It'll happen after the Mayweather stuff is settled (be it them fighting or just accepting it can't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If GSP wins they can do the McGregor fight for the MW belt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Fromvert wrote: »
    If GSP wins they can do the McGregor fight for the MW belt :pac:

They could do a two title fight at 155. That would sell a few PPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Now they'll book Anderson and Rockhold. Rockhold will pull out and Dana will tell us Anderson is now next in line.

Django99 wrote: »
    Now they'll book Anderson and Rockhold. Rockhold will pull out and Dana will tell us Anderson is now next in line.

Actually scratch that, Nick Diaz v Anderson for number one contender.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Looking forward to this. Any set date ? Reckon could be for international fight week card in june/july time ?

ricero wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Any set date ? Reckon could be for international fight week card in june/july time ?

Second half of the year they said. Think there's a card in Canada in September

I think Bisping takes this, he has the size advantage, has been fighting, has good solid defensive wrestling (enough to keep it standing most of the time) and I'd have him as better striker.

GSP is arguably the GOAT but three years off with a torn ACL during that time, giving up size and a striking advantage (to me anyway), had taken a lot of damage before he hung it up (Bisping has plenty of miles on the clock too) so it's hard to gauge where he is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I'm GSP's biggest fan but Christ what a joke match-up. I get that they're in the sports entertainment business but this fight selection is 90% entertainment and 10% sport. I can live with Conor getting leeway on a lightweight title shot, it was unjust but he was still top class and a superstar. Bisping's first two title shots and 50 year old Hendo and retired welterweight GSP, that's just ridiculous.

On the fight itself, too many intangibles to make a bet but I'd slightly lean towards Bisping being a slight favourite. GSP in theory has the wrestling to beat him but he's 34 on a 2 year lay off, and he was declining before retirement. If GSP was healthier, active and younger I'd favour him. I'd just hate to see him come back and tarnish his record.

I'm GSP's biggest fan but Christ what a joke match-up. I get that they're in the sports entertainment business but this fight selection is 90% entertainment and 10% sport. I can live with Conor getting leeway on a lightweight title shot, it was unjust but he was still top class and a superstar. Bisping's first two title shots and 50 year old Hendo and retired welterweight GSP, that's just ridiculous.

On the fight itself, too many intangibles to make a bet but I'd slightly lean towards Bisping being a slight favourite. GSP in theory has the wrestling to beat him but he's 34 on a 2 year lay off, and he was declining before retirement. If GSP was healthier, active and younger I'd favour him. I'd just hate to see him come back and tarnish his record.

He's 36 in May

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dana will be praying that GSP wins so they can set up GSP vs McG. Absolute bull**** was looking forward to watching Yoel bounce Bisping around the octogon.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's 36 in May

I just don't see it going well for him. Even if he beats Bisping, it ends badly if he fights Romero, Jacare or Rockhold next. If he beats Bisping and retires or dodges fights that doesn't look good either. He should have waited for the Woodley/Thompson fight to end and jump the queue, if he's in the shape he thinks he is he'll have a better time at 170. Or better yet, he should have stayed retired with one of the greatest MMA records of all time.

I just don't see it going well for him. Even if he beats Bisping, it ends badly if he fights Romero, Jacare or Rockhold next. If he beats Bisping and retires or dodges fights that doesn't look good either. He should have waited for the Woodley/Thompson fight to end and jump the queue, if he's in the shape he thinks he is he'll have a better time at 170. Or better yet, he should have stayed retired with one of the greatest MMA records of all time.

I think Woodley/Wonderboy are worse fights for him to be honest. If he wins there is not a chance he's defending against Yoel. Honestly him defending the MW strap against Conor is more likely. It's in his contract that he can personally pick his first 2 fights. I don't see him sticking around much longer than that.

It'll be a boring fight too. Barring injury or a massive decline from GSP this goes to the judges, after 5 rounds of striking from two guys who lack power and potentially some top game from GSP. It will obviously do great on PPV, but for actual MMA fans there isn't much attraction other than two big names fighting each other.

I think Woodley/Wonderboy are worse fights for him to be honest. If he wins there is not a chance he's defending against Yoel. Honestly him defending the MW strap against Conor is more likely. It's in his contract that he can personally pick his first 2 fights. I don't see him sticking around much longer than that.

You're right, Bisping is an easier fight. But looking down the line, if he beats Bisping and has to defend against a top middleweight he'll get smashed. If he fights another 'money fight' instead, it still reflects badly on him. Even if he throws McGregor around for 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

GSP can skip whatever cue he wants.

Are people forgetting how good he was, I'd fancy him to beat any welterweight and Bisping.

mdwexford wrote: »

Are people forgetting how good he was, I'd fancy him to beat any welterweight and Bisping.

I'm a massive fan, but he's 35 and was clearly in decline when he fought Hendricks over 3 years ago. This isn't 28 year old GSP who smashed Penn and Hughes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mdwexford wrote: »

It would be one thing if he was fighting for the WW belt, a division he was champ of for a number of years before he retired. This is at MW though and the top guys at MW are much bigger than him. If he wins, do you see him taking on Yoel, Rockhold, Jacare, Weidman etc

Main Event - Bisping v GSP for the MW Belt
    Co Main - Romero v Jacare for the Interim MW Belt

Just do it at this stage, if Bisping wins he could retire and if GSP wins he'll only defend it against Silva would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm telling ya lads...2017 will be the year we have interim vs interim champ for the first ever double interim champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm a massive fan, but he's 35 and was clearly in decline when he fought Hendricks over 3 years ago. This isn't 28 year old GSP who smashed Penn and Hughes.

He's a guy who never stops training and is in shape all year round. His age wouldn't worry me whatsoever. 35 is not old.

I don't think his head was in the Hendricks fight, I'm not writing him off based on that personally.
    It would be one thing if he was fighting for the WW belt, a division he was champ of for a number of years before he retired. This is at MW though and the top guys at MW are much bigger than him. If he wins, do you see him taking on Yoel, Rockhold, Jacare, Weidman etc

Of course, that's why I only mentioned Bisping and WW.

The top MW are a totally different kettle of fish.
    God knows what will happen if GSP wins.
    Could take on Woodley/Wonderboy winner, McGregor, Nick Diaz, defend at MW, anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

They do love their double weight champion fights.

Conor gets a shot at LW without defending FW.

Holm gets a shot while on a 2 fight skid at a new belt that didn't need to be created until Cyborg was fit to fight for it.

Now GSP comes back after 3 years and gets a crack at the belt in a different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How much of a size difference will there be?

JJayoo wrote: »
    How much of a size difference will there be?

Considerable imo.

Reach is about the same, Bisping is about 6'2 and GSP is 5'10

Bisping walks around at over 210, GSP is probably only like 190 out of shape.

GSP has got amazing wrestling but he'll need to be on his A game to take someone down who is a legitimate weight class above him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

dashoonage wrote: »
    I'm telling ya lads...2017 will be the year we have interim vs interim champ for the first ever double interim champ.

Aldo vs Holloway is that anyway ain't it?

Probably won't be a popular opinion but Gabe Morency summed up how I feel about GSP vs Bisping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

JJayoo wrote: »
    Dana will be praying that GSP wins so they can set up GSP vs McG. Absolute bull**** was looking forward to watching Yoel bounce Bisping around the octogon.

From Conor's perspective:

He can claim to be the Featherweight Champion, the Lightweight Champion and then (if he somehow beats GSP) can claim to have beaten the Middleweight Champion at welterweight.

Plus a load of money in his bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't believe a letter of that.

GSP v Conor is 100% what they would've been wanting to do.

It not coming close to happening and them not wanting to do it aren't the same.

It never looked likely to me as Conor's a 155er, GSP (currently) isn't.
    He's not challenging GSP at a higher weight with no belt on the line. He probably wouldn't do it with a belt on the line unless it was a legit retirement fight.

GSP didn't look like he was getting down to 155 at time soon. He could if he had to. But targeting WW and MW makes much more sense from his PoV.
    He's 36 in May
    Has everyone bringing up GSP's age forgot the fact that Bisping is 37?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On one hand I feel bad for Yoel and Jacare and the circus this is turning into. But only a little bit.

As I remember GSP retired with the belt. He absolutely deserves an immediate shot at that belt when he returns. If he wants to move up instead, I can't really begrudge him a shot there since I've always made the point about champs moving up in relation to Conor.

I'm not gonna lie, there's a part of me that likes this fight. The two outcomes are either GSP becomes a 2 weight champion, or Bisping adds GSP to the Anderson Silva and Dan Henderson on his record. I'm happy for either of them in that case.
    And ultimately, I'm also glad that it's Yoel getting screwed rather than Maia.

Mellor wrote: »
    And ultimately, I'm also glad that it's Yoel getting screwed rather than Maia.

Good point, but Maia is still getting screwed :o

Good point, but Maia is still getting screwed :o
    If you man right now, I don't think a rematch a draw counts as a screwjob.

If you mean in the future. If he chokes Jorge, there's no other choice. But who knows the way things are going. I seen Lawler is back in training which is worrying from Maia's POV.

• Advertisement

You have to hand it to Dizz, he nailed this one two weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/TalkMMA/status/834946424081104897

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement