Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

LOT u basta...etc etc

Really looking forward to the co-main, besides the obvious headliner the card sucks the following weeks Fox card is better on paper overall in comparison.

You're right actually Stephens, Sterling, thug rose, DJ, michelle waterson, robert whitaker to name but a few all on a Fox card is an amazing card.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Khabib says he almost died during the last weight cut, he has a medical 'issue' he is going to get checked in Germany and should be back around September. Poor old Tony is in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wouldn't be surprised if they try do an interim fight between Tony and Nate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

xtal191 wrote: »

Thats ****ing tasty

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Thats ****ing tasty

Lawler v Wonderboy would have been a better fight, but I still like this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Do people think that Cerrone actually has a shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

Do people think that Cerrone actually has a shot?
    No chance. Lawlor will take his head off

• Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Perfect comeback fight for robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I like Cowboy....shame to see him left soulless after this....ah well..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Robbie got starched with one punch himself last time he could be in serious decline after having wars, one head kick is all it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Gamebred wrote: »
    Robbie got starched with one punch himself last time he could be in serious decline after having wars, one head kick is all it takes.

deep down i know this to be true....but god dam it man let me live in hope that the old lawler will be back!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I really think something happened to Lawler the day before the weigh in against Woodley that they've kept a secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I really think something happened to Lawler the day before the weigh in against Woodley that they've kept a secret.

why is there rumors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

why is there rumors ?

Rumours that he stood on Lego

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

why is there rumors ?

well from me there is anyway :D

someone seems to be missing from the last embedded, the reigning, defending undisputed champion of the world that's who. Plus the way he fought in that fight was a bit stand offish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

well from me there is anyway :D

someone seems to be missing from the last embedded, the reigning, defending undisputed champion of the world that's who. Plus the way he fought in that fight was a bit stand offish too.

That's it. Stood on lego confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

It's getting really annoying now that so many fighters are complaining about pay. They are so bitter about the few fighters who do make big money. Instead of whinging about it why don't they take a leaf out of Nate Diaz book and start to get people interested in watching them. Nobody wants to listen to guys complaining about what the other fighters make. The blueprint is there, unfair as it may be. Talk **** about your opponent, put on exciting performances, and the money will go up. Use social media and engage with fans, make people want to pay to see you fight.

Mousasi this week is whinging about Mark Hunt making money. Well Mark Hunt is an exciting fighter, people want to see him fight. In prize fighting, that's what gets you paid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Django99 wrote: »
    It's getting really annoying now that so many fighters are complaining about pay. They are so bitter about the few fighters who do make big money. Instead of whinging about it why don't they take a leaf out of Nate Diaz book and start to get people interested in watching them. Nobody wants to listen to guys complaining about what the other fighters make. The blueprint is there, unfair as it may be. Talk **** about your opponent, put on exciting performances, and the money will go up. Use social media and engage with fans, make people want to pay to see you fight.

Mousasi this week is whinging about Mark Hunt making money. Well Mark Hunt is an exciting fighter, people want to see him fight. In prize fighting, that's what gets you paid.

No offence to Nate Diaz but he's a poor example. He was on shít money until he got the McGregor fight. If RDA didn't get injured and have to pull out, Nate would probably still be on shít money now.

No offence to Nate Diaz but he's a poor example. He was on shít money until he got the McGregor fight. If RDA didn't get injured and have to pull out, Nate would probably still be on shít money now.

I know he was on bad money but he changed that himself. He came in and beat a fairly highly ranked opponent, and used to stage for a brilliant call out. Even if he hadn't gotten the McGregor fight, I'm sure he would have gotten a big fight. He was always destined to fight McGregor down the line after that call out in my opinion.

Then look at Ferguson. Beats RDA in Mexico, and just walks out of the octagon. For his next fight, surprise surprise he's complaining about not being paid enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I know he was on bad money but he changed that himself. He came in and beat a fairly highly ranked opponent, and used to stage for a brilliant call out. Even if he hadn't gotten the McGregor fight, I'm sure he would have gotten a big fight. He was always destined to fight McGregor down the line after that call out in my opinion.

Then look at Ferguson. Beats RDA in Mexico, and just walks out of the octagon. For his next fight, surprise surprise he's complaining about not being paid enough.

I don't think he was gonna get a fight with McGregor if RDA hadn't pulled out. Sure, half the UFC has called out McGregor at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Well considering Mark Hunt is a fighter Mousasi holds a win over??...

Moussasi has more wins than Nate has had fights...

I don't think he was gonna get a fight with McGregor if RDA hadn't pulled out. Sure, half the UFC has called out McGregor at this stage.

I think he would have, maybe not straight away but somewhere down the line. I think McGregor even said this at one of the press conferences that it was a fight that was always going to happen.

Everyone was calling him out but no one did it quite like Nate. Khabib also made the most of the spotlight, and if McGregor was going to defend the belt he was ahead of Ferguson because of that.

Well considering Mark Hunt is a fighter Mousasi holds a win over??...

Moussasi has more wins than Nate has had fights...

But casual fans want to pay to see Hunt and Nate fight more than they want to see Mousasi fight. It isn't fair, but it's simply the reality. We all know that the UFC is an entertainment business more than anything else. The fighters that will be paid the most are ye fighters who fans will pay the most to see. And complaining about other fighters pay doesn't make fans want to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The reason well known fighters are complaining about money more now is because the UFC took away one of their main income streams when they made a deal with Reebok and banned third party fight sponsorships. They literally took that money out of the fighters pockets to add to the company's profits.

The reason well known fighters are complaining about money more now is because the UFC took away one of their main income streams when they made a deal with Reebok and banned third party fight sponsorships. They literally took that money out of the fighters pockets to add to the company's profits.

Yeah that deal is awful and I'd have no issues if they complained about that, or even boycotted it. That's why they need a proper union.

But what it's changed to now is they all want to complain about the fighters that do manage to get good pay. Why should it matter to Mousasi what Hunt gets paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

But casual fans want to pay to see Hunt and Nate fight more than they want to see Mousasi fight. It isn't fair, but it's simply the reality. We all know that the UFC is an entertainment business more than anything else. The fighters that will be paid the most are ye fighters who fans will pay the most to see. And complaining about other fighters pay doesn't make fans want to watch

How can you say it isn't fair one minute and then say they shouldn't be complaining the next.

You cite Diaz as an example of what Mousasi should follow but "Conor McGregor you've taken everything I've worked for" that may be a classic soundbite now but that is complaining plain and simple but it appears when Mousasi goes about it his way your not happy with it?

Hunt also has a pending legal case with the company and has given plenty of negative issues about them to the press since the Brock fight, that's not complaining?

The fighters are right to complain from time to time not sure why some fans decide to back the company opposed to them.

We both know most casuals likely won't have Mousasi on the radar till if he gets a title shot and the company put some weight behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I agree with fighters getting paid more. I don't agree with other fighters complaining about fighters getting paid too much. Deal with your own problems. Hunt is a combat sports icon, he's put in the work and deserves his pay day in the Twilight of his career.

How can you say it isn't fair one minute and then say they shouldn't be complaining the next.

You cite Diaz as an example of what Mousasi should follow but "Conor McGregor you've taken everything I've worked for" that may be a classic soundbite now but that is complaining plain and simple but it appears when Mousasi goes about it his way your not happy with it?

Hunt also has a pending legal case with the company and has given plenty of negative issues about them to the press since the Brock fight, that's not complaining?

The fighters are right to complain from time to time not sure why some fans decide to back the company opposed to them.

We both know most casuals likely won't have Mousasi on the radar till if he gets a title shot and the company put some weight behind him.

Because it's not fair in the sense that we would all like MMA to be like other individual sports, and for pay to reflect ability and performance.

In a sport like tennis, your prize money is set in stone as being related to your performance. Whether you are good with the media, popular with fans and such doesn't matter. The prize for winning will be the same.

But with MMA, and particularly the UFC, we're looking at a private company. They don't care about sporting achievements, they are there to make money. They will pay people based on the return they get. People will pay to see Hunt fight, so he gets paid well.

Mousasi is a brilliant fighter, he's beaten some of the top guys and he's generally good to watch. But the only people willing to pay to see him are hardcore fans. The general public don't know him.

The opportunity is there to become popular though. Twitter, post fight interviews, press conferences, embedded and countdown videos are all a platform for fighters to reach out to a new audience.

Nate has said he couldn't believe how other people acted at McGregor press conferences. As an example, the Go Big press conference in 2015 before 194. Joe Duffy was at that press conference and he was quiet as a mouse. If he got into a public spat with McGregor at that time it would have done wonders for his popularity. The only person who said anything controversial at that conference was McGregor.

We, as the hardcore fans, will watch any fights. But the way to make money on the sport is not through hardcore fans. It's through casual fans.

If any fighter questions their own pay or another fighters pay they need to look at the reasons. The fighters who get paid the most are the ones who engage with the media, say controversial things, use Twitter.

The fact that Hunt is in a legal dispute and still gets paid big money shows this. The UFC don't care about anything but making a profit. Hunt draws viewers, so they pay him well.

I'm sure a lot of the fighters, as well as the posters here and the people who watch all the fights and attend the fights would prefer if the sport was more like tennis, and that pay was related to performance alone. But I don't see that happening anytime soon, and until it does I think fighters should stop complaining and go out and get more fans. Then they will be paid more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DC looking rough this week and said today he has another 10 pounds to go. Every interview I've seen so far, he's complaining about Jones. Rumours that Bones will be brought into the Octagon after the fight and DC said he better not or it won't go well. HA DC would get wrecked again and he knows it. He has become even more annoying than usual the way Jones has gotten to him so much and he insists he's not bothered by him at all.

Let's go Rumble!!!! and a 210 thread please (I'm too lazy)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement