Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I actually like DC and would love him to beat jones in a rematch. Dont get the DC hate, hes a good man whos overcome an awful lot in life

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    . Rumours that Bones will be brought into the Octagon after the fight and DC said he better not or it won't go well. HA DC would get wrecked again and he knows it. He has become even more annoying than usual the way Jones has gotten to him so much and he insists he's not bothered by him at all.

The Jones thing is just wolf tickets. DC would be delighted if he was in the cage after, Dana probably wants a scuffle to break out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Gastelum tested positive for weed, supposedly off the 212 card.

UFC statement
    The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) informed Kelvin Gastelum of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation involving Carboxy-Tetrahydrocannabinol (“Carboxy-THCâ€) which is a metabolite of marijuana and/or hashish, above the decision limit of 180 ng/mL, stemming from an in-competition sample collected in conjunction with his recent bout in Fortaleza, Brazil on March 11, 2017.

USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Gastelum, as it relates to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and future UFC participation. Because the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) was the regulatory body overseeing the fight in Fortaleza and has licensing jurisdiction over Gastelum, USADA will work to ensure that the Commission has the necessary information to determine its proper judgment of Gastelum’s potential anti-doping violation. Additional information will be provided at the appropriate time as the process moves forward.

As a result of the potential anti-doping violation against Gastelum, USADA has placed him under a provisional suspension. While the UFC Anti-Doping Policy affords Gastelum full and fair due process rights before any possible adjudication of his case, because of the proximity to Gastelum’s scheduled June 3rd bout against Anderson Silva, Gastelum is being removed from the card and a replacement is currently being sought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Good, saved Anderson an ass whooping.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Good, saved Anderson an ass whooping.

I was looking forward to the fight. Gastellum has good boxing, but his footwork isn't great and he likes to to throw a lot, there'd be lots of opportunity for counters for Anderson and he has a good bit of size on him too.

It'd looked like the Vitor fight, Anderson is old and off the roids thought he'd of been murdered, no wonder kelvin is fat probably from munchies from smoking too much pot in 10th planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

0fd80a1a0d3b9ee0d4ccc2c4f9e53cbd.jpg

How long can one be banned from the ufc for smoking weed ? Seems very harsh as its a harmless plant and legal in a lot of american states.

Pity i was looking forward to that fight. Hopefully we get a decent replacement. Romero and souza dont have a fight so could be one of them

ricero wrote: »
    How long can one be banned from the ufc for smoking weed ? Seems very harsh as its a harmless plant and legal in a lot of american states.

Pity i was looking forward to that fight. Hopefully we get a decent replacement and silva stays on the card

Romero v Silva :D:D:D I know Romero would be heavy favourite but Silva would still be likely to maybe nick a win, setting up Silva v Bisping for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's listed as banned so can be treated just like other PEDs.
    Being a harmless plant and legal in places is irrelevant.
    It's nothing to do with the harm or the legality of it.

Testosterone and other steroids aren't actually illegal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Mellor wrote: »
    It's listed as banned so can be treated just like other PEDs.
    Being a harmless plant and legal in places is irrelevant.
    It's nothing to do with the harm or the legality of it.

Testosterone and other steroids aren't actually illegal either.

Yeah but I think most people would agree weed shouldn't be classed as a PED, well I don't think so anyway.

Fighting stoned shouldn't be allowed but other than that I'd let them smoke away.

Django99 wrote: »
    Yeah but I think most people would agree weed shouldn't be classed as a PED, well I don't think so anyway.
    What's your opinion on medical marijuana?
    Looks like that's becoming pretty accepted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

It doesn't really matter what the effects are, if it's against the rules it's against the rules. If they banned consumption of chocolate Kimberly biscuits & use of the word 'hedgehog' in interviews you'd get sanctioned for doing either, effects or none.

Fighters know what they can & can't do, no point crying about it after you're caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

What's your opinion on medical marijuana?
    Looks like that's becoming pretty accepted.

In general or in relation to being a PED?

In general I think the benefits are probably slightly over stated by people who are pro cannabis, but still if there are useful properties they should be studied and we should make the most of what benefits the plant has.

In terms of athletes using it, well there are a lot of supplements and medications that they can take legally that would give them the same or similar benefits to weed, in terms of recovery and for easing pain and such.

I'd say the likes of Kelvin smokes it recreationally rather than for the athletic benefits though. And I don't think he should be punished for that. I know it's the fighters responsibility so I don't really have any sympathy that he was caught. But I think the rule should change.

Clown musta been smoking it in the locker room to get caught absolute moron.

I dont see how weed can enhance ones performance but rules are rules. I just hope its a fine and nothing more. No need for a long ban

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Joe Rogan is always ****eing on that he sees it as a PED, particularly for JJ and strength training

I meant in general Djanjo, your kinda of touching what I'm getting at.

On a medical maurijuana threads/discussions. It's a wonder drug, helps with pain and inflammation, swelling, and what ever else.But then in PED discussions it's just a plant.

It can't go both ways imo. And I'm saying that as someone in favour of medical uses.
    But yeah, Kelvin was probably just getting high.

The problem with weed is that he mightn't have even touched it during camp. It can take well over 60 days for chronic users to leave their system, especially if you are carrying a bit of bodyfat, which it binds itself too.

So many people have popped lately, some even had wins turned into no contests. I think it's something that needs to be looked at because I don't think cannabis use within MMA is going to lessen anytime soon.

• Advertisement

It's a wonder drug, helps with pain and inflammation, swelling, and what ever else.But then in PED discussions it's just a plant.

Ice, ibuprofen, painkillers etc all do the same but they aren't considered PED's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lukker- wrote: »
    especially if you are carrying a bit of bodyfat, which it binds itself too.

LOL, Gastellum never stood a chance then!

Theres a certain threshold apparently tho, for in competetion they say you literally have to be smoking it on the day of the fight to fail it, ie Nick Diaz v Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It'd looked like the Vitor fight, Anderson is old and off the roids thought he'd of been murdered, no wonder kelvin is fat probably from munchies from smoking too much pot in 10th planet.

Dunno bout that. Anderson is a lot bigger and hasn't declined that dramatically in the last few fights.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Ice, ibuprofen, painkillers etc all do the same but they aren't considered PED's.
    If it was the same as paracetamol, there wouldn't be a need for it. But the entire pro-marijuana arguement is built on the idea that it's more effective. Like I said, either it's a great drug, or it's not. It can't be both depending on what suits the situation..

FWIW prescription painkillers like Oxycodone are banned in comp too.

No love vs tj confirmed as co-main event for ufc 213

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

No love vs tj confirmed as co-main event for ufc 213

Should be such a great ****ing scrap. Looking forward to TUF....

tenor.gif

Jacare a free agent after he armbars Whittaker the weekend, Bellator about to sign him and Mousasi it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Jacare a free agent after he armbars Whittaker the weekend, Bellator about to sign him and Mousasi it appears.

I can't see the UFC lettign either go tbh, they'll make deal. Middle weight is their strongest division by a long way, letting two of the top 5 guys go would be crazy. Give them a deal and put them on the same card as Silva vs Rockhold and the winner gets the winner of each fight gets a title eliminator/gets to fight for the belt when GSP vacates after eating Bispings soul.

• Advertisement

Possibly but if Bellator get a blank cheque out their off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement