Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Possibly but if Bellator get a blank cheque out their off.

yeah, if they offer Jacare or Gegard a deal like they offered McDonald and Mitrione then I'd say they'd be on their bikes yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

This will have helped Mousasi, I'd say he's delighted Jacare is a free agent now just made his price go up, imagine UFC mw losing the pair of them, pair of them have history with Coker too.

This will have helped Mousasi, I'd say he's delighted Jacare is a free agent now just made his price go up, imagine UFC mw losing the pair of them, pair of them have history with Coker too.

Both were Strike Force champions and like Coker so it wouldn't be a massive surprise if either or both jumped over there. I'd say both would feel fighting at 180 or 205 in Bellator to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I can't see the UFC lettign either go tbh, they'll make deal. Middle weight is their strongest division by a long way, letting two of the top 5 guys go would be crazy. Give them a deal and put them on the same card as Silva vs Rockhold and the winner gets the winner of each fight gets a title eliminator/gets to fight for the belt when GSP vacates after eating Bispings soul.

Jacare's last 2 fights against Boetsch & Whittaker is such a waste of his talent it's comical even if he stays GSP won't fight him or Romero. Mousasi just beat a top contender too so the ball is in the fighters court.
    But I'm never sure anymore unless a fighter is a big draw will UFC make a decent effort to retain his services.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would be great to see them go to bellator. They would be getting paid as well as sponsors and UFC would be getting a kick up the arse it badly needs. Bisping will be gone soon, GSP might only have a few fights in different divisions, MW would even be worse than LHW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mousasi and Jacare leaving would be great, and a big middle finger to the new UFC era

MW already had one joke challenger in Henderson, and it's too long since GSP fought to give him a title fight in a different weight class. That fight mightn't happen til the close to the end of this year, meaning the next championship fight wouldn't be until early/middle of 2018 making it 2 years since a rightful challenger or anyone close to a rightful challenger fought for the title at that weight class

LHW went a long time without the title being defended, but you can't expect for injuries and the idiocy of Jones

An the narrative people like Helwani are pushing is ''Bisping deserves his payday'' gtfo hes a multimillionaires he aint owed ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Let him go and be the draw if he wants the big bucks

Himself and Woodley can go feck with this sh1te of only wanting big money fights as soon as they're champ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

An the narrative people like Helwani are pushing is ''Bisping deserves his payday'' gtfo hes a multimillionaires he aint owed ****.
    You honestly can't blame him, 99% of people would do the same. You get offered 5x times the pay you'd normally get for 3 months work, for arguably easier work, would ya take it?

Blame the UFC for facilitating it. Bispings got money, but probably not set for life at his current standard money. He only has 1 or 2 fights left, he's got the ultimate retirement plan in GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Lukker- wrote:
    Blame the UFC for facilitating it. Bispings got money, but probably not set for life at his current standard money. He only has 1 or 2 fights left, he's got the ultimate retirement plan in GSP.

Also he must know that he probably losses to Jacare or romero, I can't blame him for making his money.

This is a failure of the ufc rather than the athlete, they should be the ones insistence on a bisping v Jacare/romero
    But we know that in 2017 wme ufc that money talks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Also he must know that he probably losses to Jacare or romero, I can't blame him for making his money.

This is a failure of the ufc rather than the athlete, they should be the ones insistence on a bisping v Jacare/romero
    But we know that in 2017 wme ufc that money talks

you obviously don't know the mindset of Bisping, he probably thinks he could beat beat both of them, never shy of confidence is Mike

Lukker- wrote: »
    You honestly can't blame him, 99% of people would do the same. You get offered 5x times the pay you'd normally get for 3 months work, for arguably easier work, would ya take it?

Not set for life? He is worth about 7 million according to sources online and he is getting movies before he even won the belt and has that fox job....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

scudzilla wrote: »
    you obviously don't know the mindset of Bisping, he probably thinks he could beat beat both of them, never shy of confidence is Mike

No hes not but hes smart enough to know where the money is.

And i remember reading he was one of the highest paid non champions and also into movies so id say he is wealthy enough unlike for instance woodley who doesnt seem to be in anyway a draw unless you count his incessant racism claims which gets him some attention or dj who is phenomenal but just doesnt attract a crowd.

Not set for life? He is worth about 7 million according to sources online and he is getting movies before he even won the belt and has that fox job....

So? Doesn't mean he has even close to 7 million saved or invested, for all we know he could have spent the bulk of it.

Movie roles could dry up once he finishes fighting, ditto the Fox role. UFC could be moving from Fox in the very near future, you wouldn't expect all the current fox analysts to get a spot wherever they go.

UFC could be moving from Fox in the very near future, you wouldn't expect all the current fox analysts to get a spot wherever they go.

Fox pay the UFC to broadcast the fights but as part of the deal they also pay the UFC's production company to produce the shows. The staff working on the fox shows are paid by Zuffa with money from fox.

Ariel Helwani explained it rather well a few months back during the ban debacle.

Basically, wherever the UFC ends up being broadcast the likes of Olivi and Bryant as well as Florian, Thomas, Edwards, etc. will all end up migrating with them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So? Doesn't mean he has even close to 7 million saved or invested, for all we know he could have spent the bulk of it.

Movie roles could dry up once he finishes fighting, ditto the Fox role. UFC could be moving from Fox in the very near future, you wouldn't expect all the current fox analysts to get a spot wherever they go.

Worth and earnings are two very different things. If he is worth over 7m then that would be an accumulation of his cash, assets, investments etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Mousasi is reported to have made $150,000 v Weidman (90k show, 50k win, 10k reebok).

Jacare made $255,000 his last win (135k show, 60k win, 50k POTN, 10k reebok).

I've a hard time believing Bellator can make better offers for both fighters, regardless of how Coker feels about them.

Mousasi is probably looking for 150-200k show money and Jacare maybe 200-250k, I just don't see Bellator being able to throw 4-fight, million dollar contracts at both men - especially after breaking the bank for Chael and Rory.

They'll both be re-signed by the UFC fairly quickly I imagine. It'll make for some discussion for a few weeks but ultimately Bellator can't afford them and neither man wants to leave. Dana White is no dummy, he knows all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

His fight purses are about 7 million.
    Add to that TV money, endorsements, PPVs points, films, etc. He total earning as going to be higher.
    A current net worth of $7m sounds plausible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Hey All,

Does anyone know where I can find a good historical breakdown of fighters salaries without having to trawl through every single event?

Mousasi is reported to have made $150,000 v Weidman (90k show, 50k win, 10k reebok).

Jacare made $255,000 his last win (135k show, 60k win, 50k POTN, 10k reebok).

I've a hard time believing Bellator can make better offers for both fighters, regardless of how Coker feels about them.

Mousasi is probably looking for 150-200k show money and Jacare maybe 200-250k, I just don't see Bellator being able to throw 4-fight, million dollar contracts at both men - especially after breaking the bank for Chael and Rory.

They'll both be re-signed by the UFC fairly quickly I imagine. It'll make for some discussion for a few weeks but ultimately Bellator can't afford them and neither man wants to leave. Dana White is no dummy, he knows all of the above.

Viacom has unlimited funds though surely they can stretch for these 2 prime mw's?

what was Rory earning before he went over?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Viacom has unlimited funds though surely they can stretch for these 2 prime mw's?

Viacom might have loads of cash but that doesn't mean they'll throw it at Bellator. Bellator will have budgets and costs they have to stick to. The big advantage with going to Bellator is the fighters are allowed to have sponsors on their clothing. For big names this could mean big money. Even though they'll be getting less show money, the sponsorship money could easily mean they are earning more.

Viacom has deep pockets, but they didn't get rich by giving away money. The fact is, they aren't going to pay them more than they think a fighter is worth. And a top fighter just has more depth to bring valye to the UFC compared to Bellator

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Rory was around 50-60K to show and the same to win.

He only got 59K + the fight of the night bonus for his fight against Robbie Lawler

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He only got 59K + the fight of the night bonus for his fight against Robbie Lawler
    Co-main of a huge card that they promoted for months. I'd imagine he got a PPV share

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i'm sure he did but his basic was still very low.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    i'm sure he did but his basic was still very low.

Well you said $59k was all he got. Just pointing out that's probably not true.
    I don't think it makes a difference how much comes from basic, only what the total number is. Rory just wanted a stable income rather than a potential one.

I'm a little worried for Rory's next fight. He could easily win, but at the same time, Daley could connect and break that nose again easily. I rather a tune up fight if I was his camp.

Would be great if they scrapped Bisping Gsp and done Silva GSP and stopped the 185 division from going to ****.

Would be great if they scrapped Bisping Gsp and done Silva GSP and stopped the 185 division from going to ****.

Not gonna happen, GSP needs an 8 month camp

Mellor wrote: »
    Well you said $59k was all he got. Just pointing out that's probably not true.
    I don't think it makes a difference how much comes from basic, only what the total number is. Rory just wanted a stable income rather than a potential one.

I'm a little worried for Rory's next fight. He could easily win, but at the same time, Daley could connect and break that nose again easily. I rather a tune up fight if I was his camp.

We're guessing as we don't know for sure what his situation or thinking was but his basic is pretty important if he's not getting the PPV addition. Which I presume if he's not main or co main eventing he wouldn't be getting.

• Advertisement

Does the challenger usually get ppv points? didnt think so especially someone on a low contract like 59k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement