Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That would be a perfect fight to get a bit of GSP hype going again though. He breezes past Nate without breaking sweat, before setting up a massive Lawler fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

That would be a perfect fight to get a bit of GSP hype going again though. He breezes past Nate without breaking sweat, before setting up a massive Lawler fight.

Couldn't agree more, def dont think GSP would come back and jump straight into a fight with Lawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

LaGlisse wrote: »
    When do they usually announce UFC Dublin?
    Any chance of a good card this year with the push on in europe/pushing Fightpass?

What makes you so sure we'll get a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

stephenl15 wrote: »

I'd like to think they skip us this year. Rotterdam/Zagreb cards make me think that this will be a year where they explore different markets.

I'm amazed they've not been to Russia given the amount of Russian fighters on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

With all the talk (and memes) of the UFC being devastated by Conor's loss...it got me thinking, is it really that bad a thing?

If anything it diversifies their risk by not being so heavily invested in one fighter. Diaz has now got the 'rub' from Conor and I would expect to see his next fight do some serious numbers. Conor's next fight will also do serious numbers as people tune in to see how he bounces back from his first UFC loss.

All in all, I don't think it's as bad as people make out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Pretty sure Poland was mentioned at the unstoppable press conference maybe that the only European card in the works for the last part of year tbh.

Last year's event here was a disaster the way things panned out at least if it was in a different country you'd get a holiday out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Easy Rod wrote: »
    With all the talk (and memes) of the UFC being devastated by Conor's loss...it got me thinking, is it really that bad a thing?

If anything it diversifies their risk by not being so heavily invested in one fighter. Diaz has now got the 'rub' from Conor and I would expect to see his next fight do some serious numbers. Conor's next fight will also do serious numbers as people tune in to see how he bounces back from his first UFC loss.

I'd say you'll find that the talk and memes of UFC being devastated typically come from crap sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Easy Rod wrote: »

Agree.

The UFC can make and manafacture money spinning fighters/fights/events as they see fit.

All their biggest names have lost. Lidell, Ortiz, Hughes, GSP, Lesnar, Rousey, McGregor have all tasted defeat and the promotion has survived and thrived. They can put a spin on anything, any way they want to.

The fighters come and go, the brand just gets bigger.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd like to think they skip us this year. Rotterdam/Zagreb cards make me think that this will be a year where they explore different markets.

I'm amazed they've not been to Russia given the amount of Russian fighters on the roster.
    Most of the the Russians though are only russian citizens not ethnic russian and are actually from the Caucasus region, which is not such a safe place to go to, although iirc Cage Warriors did shows in Chechnya (run by a dictator) and Dagestan (where Khabib is from)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

any word on Joseph Duffy fighting again in the ufc soon ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If RDA has any sense he would be calling out Robbie Lawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gamebred wrote: »
    If RDA has any sense he would be calling out Robbie Lawler.

Funny you mention that, He just said today he wouldn't mind Robbie at 200 after admitting he knows he lost out on a big payday and now wants a superfight. I'd say Robbie is looking at these FW's and LW's mentioning his name and laughing at them "Puny Humans".

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

stephenl15 wrote: »

Not sure dont have a clue, just would like to go to a decent event this year and its not happening unless its Dublin. Would give BAMMA a go either, sounds good based on thread, when is it coming back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Funny you mention that, He just said today he wouldn't mind Robbie at 200 after admitting he knows he lost out on a big payday and now wants a superfight. I'd say Robbie is looking at these FW's and LW's mentioning his name and laughing at them "Puny Humans".

He would really annoy McGregor by getting that shot at history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

ricero wrote: »
    any word on Joseph Duffy fighting again in the ufc soon ?

I remember him saying even before the Poirier fight, that he wanted to take a good while off before his next fight just to go back to Tristar to work on his game, because he felt like he was in camp for most of last year.

Been no talk for a while so I'd say you might not see him until the second half of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

GSP v Nate would be a huge money fight but personally I’ve no interest in seeing GSP humping Nate for 5 rounds. I can see why GSP would be interested in this return fight more than fighting Robbie.

Don’t see why the UFC would put RDA against Robbie. He has barely scratched the surface of his division and even if he ended up being a 2 weight champ he’d still struggle to draw even average PPV numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

RDA is top notch but I don't see how he beats Robbie. The jump from lightweight to welterweight is a bit much, different standard these days.

Another Brazilian with an injury....

This time it's Shogun out with bout with Rashad , Glover stepping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Another Brazilian with an injury....

This time it's Shogun out with bout with Rashad , Glover stepping in.

Guarantee he's not injured and he's pulling out to fight on the Brazil card in his hometown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Looks like Sonia O'Sullivan has something to say about " the death zone" :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sonia-o-sullivan-is-mma-really-sport-if-it-enters-the-death-zone-1.2566557

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm absolutely sick of reading these bloody articles.

"Hi, i'm someone pseudo-famous/successful at something that isn't MMA. I had never watched MMA before and I watched some before writing this article. I was surprised how much blood their was and how much violence there was!

Next week, I write about how i'd never seen a Tarantino film before, but I watched one and there was a lot of swearing that that surprised me"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, even Luke Thomas was giving out about US Media publishing stories when it was obvious they didn't know what they were talking about slating Conor and saying the UFC is finished after this loss. Although he then did his analysis of the fight and when describing the GnP from Diaz, he said "Now Nate has him and hammerfists this joker" :pac:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm absolutely sick of reading these bloody articles.

"Hi, i'm someone pseudo-famous/successful at something that isn't MMA. I had never watched MMA before and I watched some before writing this article. I was surprised how much blood their was and how much violence there was!

Next week, I write about how i'd never seen a Tarantino film before, but I watched one and there was a lot of swearing that that surprised me"

I completely understand that people are put off by bloody fights tbh, but those "death zone" comments are really poorly informed.

One thing i haven't seen too much mention so far in MMA (and boxing) is concussions and how to deal with them. In all sports now, if a player gets concussed, he is automatically removed from the field of play, where as in MMA, if he recuperates quickly enough, then he can carry on fighting.

Concussion is now a serious topic of discussion in all sports, so it's only a question of time before fight sports are asked to look at it seriously in order to protect the health of the fighters. Will any loss of consciousness lead to an automatic fight stoppage in the future?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought a loss of consciousness did lead to a fight stoppage already

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought a loss of consciousness did lead to a fight stoppage already

in most cases yes, but still a good few fights where you see an opponent being knocked unconscious then regaining consciousness quickly enough to cling on and neutralise the aggressor until he gets his bearings back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

in most cases yes, but still a good few fights where you see an opponent being knocked unconscious then regaining consciousness quickly enough to cling on and neutralise the aggressor until he gets his bearings back.

Either way, for cases like that there is usually a long medical suspension for anyone knocked unconscious in a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bisping Vs Silva springs to mind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Herb Dean said Bisping wasn't knocked unconscious in that one though and that's why he didn't stop the fight

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Herb Dean said Bisping wasn't knocked unconscious in that one though and that's why he didn't stop the fight

Ya the fact that Bisping appeared to exchange words with Dean and appear to point at either Dean himself or the mouthpiece tells me his senses were still in check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

fake page.........nevermind (came from a journalist on twitter ¬_¬)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement