Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Holly Holm v Bethe Correia headlines in Singapore on 27th June.

No one fighter has benefited so much from one single fight as Holm against Rousey. Headlines 2 fight nights, co main of a McGregor card and headlined of the admittedly terrible 208. 3 losses and apart from the finish in the Tate fight none of them were very good.

I wonder did she get this as part of her contract or do the UFC just really believe in her?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Django99 wrote: »
    Holly Holm v Bethe Correia headlines in Singapore on 27th June.

No one fighter has benefited so much from one single fight as Holm against Rousey. Headlines 2 fight nights, co main of a McGregor card and headlined of the admittedly terrible 208. 3 losses and apart from the finish in the Tate fight none of them were very good.

I wonder did she get this as part of her contract or do the UFC just really believe in her?

She should murder beth tbf, but compleatly agree. Shes making decent money so I doubt she gives a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Important BJJ skills for United Airline travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ASOT wrote: »
    She should murder beth tbf, but compleatly agree. Shes making decent money so I doubt she gives a ****.

On the contrary, i think Holm comes across far more as someone who really craves the glory and vindication than the money. She'll definitely take the money as well of course, just get the impression it's not her primary motivating factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Man I would be pissed if I was from Singapore and that was the main event.
    No interest at all in that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cyborg says she hasn't heard back about a fight request in 2 weeks and she either wants a fight or be released from her contract. Would be a good chance for UFC to get rid of her and 145 in the same go. She's a beast but that division is a disaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

They are gonna cancel that division going by Danas comments the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Top middleweight contender 'Jacare' Souza signs new 8-fight deal with UFC

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS4GjO4giEs/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very interesting stuff happening at WSOF. New name, new fighting format (league, playoffs, championship) and a monthly paycheck for fighters.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/854798328168669188

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Very interesting stuff happening at WSOF. New name, new fighting format (league, playoffs, championship) and a monthly paycheck for fighters.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/854798328168669188

It's very good in theory and a lot of benefits for the fighters it seems.

But there's a good reason individual sports are almost never organised this way. What happens if a fighter gets injured close to a fight and they can't find a replacement? Then you'll have two guys who will only have two fights in the regular season, and because if that they'll have almost no chance of getting to the playoffs.

Fighters will get a monthly salary which is a plus because it's regular dependable income, but it will be very low income.

WSOF has a few top level fighters at the moment, but I don't know if they'll stick around for this. I'd imagine once you start a season you have to finish it, so fighters won't have as many opportunities to change organisation for better pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Django99 wrote: »
    It's very good in theory and a lot of benefits for the fighters it seems.

But there's a good reason individual sports are almost never organised this way. What happens if a fighter gets injured close to a fight and they can't find a replacement? Then you'll have two guys who will only have two fights in the regular season, and because if that they'll have almost no chance of getting to the playoffs.

Fighters will get a monthly salary which is a plus because it's regular dependable income, but it will be very low income.

WSOF has a few top level fighters at the moment, but I don't know if they'll stick around for this. I'd imagine once you start a season you have to finish it, so fighters won't have as many opportunities to change organisation for better pay.

I mean there will be challenges but instead of implementing a points based system they could use an ELO style rating like chess or e-sports. Each fighter starts at the same baseline but you get a higher rating by beating fighters. A win against a top ranked opponent is worth more than a win vs a lower ranked one, so even if you miss a fight through injury your ELO rating could see you progress.

The investors behind it are serious, spearheaded by investment bankers and hedgefund managers who ran the DC2024 Olympics bid, with backing from the founder of Riot Games ($2 billion per year revenue), and owners of the Washington Wizards and Capitals.

So they have legitimate backers, and are doing some very different. I'm sure they will be offering competitive salaries for their top guys to stay, hopefully with a monthly salary, things like retirement plans and healthcare aren't too far off and put pressure on the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think we can pass much judgement on it until we see the specific on how it will work.
    There's 10-15 fighters per division. Say, MW has 12 fighters, each fight 3 times. That's 18 fights.
    What if one guys both go 3-0 against different opponents, and not each other. Who is the champ?

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think we can pass much judgement on it until we see the specific on how it will work.
    There's 10-15 fighters per division. Say, MW has 12 fighters, each fight 3 times. That's 18 fights.
    What if one guys both go 3-0 against different opponents, and not each other. Who is the champ?

I believe the league gets you qualified you for the playoffs, so say if they take top 4 fighters, the #1 ranked fights the #4 and the #2 and #3 fight each other, with the winners fighting each other.

In other news, Gastellums management are confident that his suspension is gonna be overturned.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I believe the league gets you qualified you for the playoffs, so say if they take top 4 fighters, the #1 ranked fights the #4 and the #2 and #3 fight each other, with the winners fighting each other.

But it will need fleshed a little more. Exactly how are they ranked. Are all wins equal, if not why not etc.
    Otherwise you have lots of guys tied for spots at 3-0 and 2-1 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mellor wrote: »
    But it will need fleshed a little more. Exactly how are they ranked. Are all wins equal, if not why not etc.
    Otherwise you have lots of guys tied for spots at 3-0 and 2-1 etc

They can have tie-breakers on significant strikes or wider decisions (10-8 rounds counting for something more) to decide that and encourage fighters to be more aggressive. As for how they're ranked, that is a good question, but I think it'll be decided by a panel.

martyos121 wrote: »
    They can have tie-breakers on significant strikes or wider decisions (10-8 rounds counting for something more) to decide that and encourage fighters to be more aggressive. As for how they're ranked, that is a good question, but I think it'll be decided by a panel.
    Significant strikes is a decent way to compare how two guys did in a fight, but it means nothing comparing two fighters in different fights.
    Conor only landed 5 significant strikes when he beat Aldo. Which would be less than almost every fight I'd guess.

Tie breaker on significant strikes would undervalue finishes. Ditto for valuing 10-8s, what if doesn't go to scorecards.

They could maybe do 4 points for a finish, 3 point for a decision, and 2 points for a split decision (1 point for split loser).
    That puts a value on finshing, and distinguishes between clear and close decisions.
    But they could still be a lot of tied scores given a year long season is only 3 fights per fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm sure they will have it well worked out with bonus points for 1st Rd/2nd Rd finishes. 10 pts for 1st Rd, 7 for 2nd Rd, 5 for 3rd etc.

It's a great idea. Nice to see an organisation try something a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Officer999

I see on Twitter that JK is still in Australia. Is he not gonna be in Artem's corner this weekend in Nashville then?

• Advertisement

Officer999 wrote: »
    I see on Twitter that JK is still in Australia. Is he not gonna be in Artem's corner this weekend in Nashville then?

Flying directly there I'd imagine. Conor won't be though, Dee is due in the next 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Flying directly there I'd imagine. Conor won't be though, Dee is due in the next 10 days.

I hear enda is getting ready to declare it a public holiday, and three wise men set off last week to journey to dublin for the birth, they are following some sort of star.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

dashoonage wrote: »
    I hear enda is getting ready to declare it a public holiday, and three wise men set off last week to journey to dublin for the birth, they are following some sort of star.

Wouldn't call Danis, Gallagher and Ward "wise" to be honest. :P

No Kavanagh isnt in his corner hes in Oz for a month I think on holiday,sent a few of his pros to Iceland to train while hes away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From the open workout vid it just looks like Artem and a sparring partner???

From 0.41 seconds onwards

Peter Queally and Richie Smullen are over there with him, Roddy will be joining them too,

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/855225421922787329

Nice tune up for Jones before he takes on Manuwa...

Gamebred wrote: »
    No Kavanagh isnt in his corner hes in Oz for a month I think on holiday,sent a few of his pros to Iceland to train while hes away.

He's promoting his book too, which I'm sure he had arranged prior to Artem getting booked

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Officer999

He's promoting his book too, which I'm sure he had arranged prior to Artem getting booked

I still find it odd he isn't there. I mean he's being training Artem for years, and this is a huge opportunity for him. One he probably won't get again.

And besides Conor, this must be the only person from SBG headlining a UFC event outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Officer999 wrote: »
    I still find it odd he isn't there. I mean he's being training Artem for years, and this is a huge opportunity for him. One he probably won't get again.

And besides Conor, this must be the only person from SBG headlining a UFC event outside of Ireland.

Will you stop. JK will be there in July for Max vs The Hammer for the strap.

Poor cub isnt even gonna see it coming! Cubs only there to keep Artem warm while aldo and max sort out their business.

#ibelieveinartem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He said on Fox Oz that he has sold 45,000 units so far is that good for the Irish market? Seems a good number?

Any confirmation he won't be in Nashville? I remember when Gallagher was due to fight in Israel John mentioned he would fly to Israel then fly back to America to corner Conor the next day.

I'd be shocked if he didn't do the same thing for Artem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement