Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Any confirmation he won't be in Nashville?.

I think it's a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Biggest fight of his life and john wont be there thats absolutely shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

maximoose wrote: »

I think it's a bit odd.

Questionable I'd say.

I seriously can't see Firas or Jackson not cornering a Main Event because they want to promote a book but here again we're seeing the pros/cons of being in an unusual spot of being a high-profile Head Coach.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's great that John's hard work is paying off with these opportunities after a decade of struggling BUT it's surely a question of priorities too.

Put it another way, if it was Conor in action would he fly in from Australia for the night? Of course. Subliminally that must send a message to Artem and the rest of the fight team that they're not as important to the team as Conor is.

On the flip side of the argument, it gives Owen Roddy a tremendous opportunity to step up to the Head Coach position on a big Fight Night and that's a positive - and may be behind John's thinking. Owen is calm, level-headed and a good reader of fights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Questionable I'd say.

I seriously can't see Firas or Jackson not cornering a Main Event because they want to promote a book but here again we're seeing the pros/cons of being in an unusual spot of being a high-profile Head Coach.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's great that John's hard work is paying off with these opportunities after a decade of struggling BUT it's surely a question of priorities too.

Put it another way, if it was Conor in action would he fly in from Australia for the night? Of course. Subliminally that must send a message to Artem and the rest of the fight team that they're not as important to the team as Conor is.

On the flip side of the argument, it gives Owen Roddy a tremendous opportunity to step up to the Head Coach position on a big Fight Night and that's a positive - and may be behind John's thinking. Owen is calm, level-headed and a good reader of fights.

Well, yeah, duh, they're not.

Well, yeah, duh, they're not.

True but it's hardly going to be a positive to hammer home that message to Artem. Especially after John publicly stated he would fly from New York to Tel Aviv to corner Gallagher.

It'll all depend on the result I suppose. If Artem wins, it'll be a "genius" move to have Roddy assuming Head Coach Role. If not, ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

True but it's hardly going to be a positive to hammer home that message to Artem. Especially after John publicly stated he would fly from New York to Tel Aviv to corner Gallagher.

It'll all depend on the result I suppose. If Artem wins, it'll be a "genius" move to have Roddy assuming Head Coach Role. If not, ....

I don't think it matters who is in his corner. I cant see any chance of Artem winning this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

True but it's hardly going to be a positive to hammer home that message to Artem.

d4bca5de65ed41b9669106fde2080da3_-pinterest-music-memes-i-see-what-you-did-there-memes_475-539.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Artem is getting paid very little in comparison to most people headlining a main event. John's pay for cornering and working in camp is a percentage of that. It probably wouldn't even cover his return flight to Oz + expenses for the week lads. It makes no sense for him to fly over for one fight. Arrangements were made months ago, there are other coaches in the gym. It's not nearly as big a deal as you lot are making it out to be.

Half of you have some mad ability to over analyze every stupid detail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Roddy is on a different level as a coach to JK imo anyways so its actually a positive, he has helped mastermind Conor's boxing game where as JK has **** all experience and striking credentials compared to Roddy, no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think it's a big deal either. Artem is going out there to take his head off. He wants a striking coach with him.

John Conor's roles could be replaced by a tape recorder playing "Artem, keep it flowy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Officer999

Artem is getting paid very little in comparison to most people headlining a main event. John's pay for cornering and working in camp is a percentage of that. It probably wouldn't even cover his return flight to Oz + expenses for the week lads. It makes no sense for him to fly over for one fight. Arrangements were made months ago, there are other coaches in the gym. It's not nearly as big a deal as you lot are making it out to be.

Half of you have some mad ability to over analyze every stupid detail.

Your completely missing the point. It shouldn't be about the money side. It's the fact that an SBG fighter is main eventing a UFC card, John should be by his side.

Option A: Go do a book/promo tour in Australia and make a lot of money for speaking and in sales,have a break from the gym and a wee holiday with my missus while I'm at it, delegate coaching duties and cornering to competent coaches like Roddy and the rest of the lads who I trust in the gym, everything goes fine.

Option B: Break up that tour, lose days of speaking/promo money and lost money on flights to and from Australia for the sake of being in the corner of a striker who doesn't need me seeing as he will have his striking coach there anyway, for the sake of a few grand (at best) also costing the fighter more money to pay me than he would someone else in his corner.

Option B doesn't work very well for either of them.

SBG fighters have fought without JK in their corner in the past and they will again in the future, you lot are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I think the promo stuff is over now. He had a talk book in Melbourne on Tuesday. Was organised months ago. I dont think cancelling it would have been fair on the people with tickets, especially for a fighter who really doesn't need him imo.

I suppose he could fly out in time for the fight now. But I wouldn't begrudge him a few days sightseeing with his missus. He's allowed go on holidays.

Option A: Go do a book/promo tour in Australia and make a lot of money for speaking and in sales,have a break from the gym and a wee holiday with my missus while I'm at it, delegate coaching duties and cornering to competent coaches like Roddy and the rest of the lads who I trust in the gym, everything goes fine.

Option B: Break up that tour, lose days of speaking/promo money and lost money on flights to and from Australia for the sake of being in the corner of a striker who doesn't need me seeing as he will have his striking coach there anyway, for the sake of a few grand (at best) also costing the fighter more money to pay me than he would someone else in his corner.

Option B doesn't work very well for either of them.

SBG fighters have fought without JK in their corner in the past and they will again in the future, you lot are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Option C: I'm already a millionaire from Conor's fight purses alone so I can handle not making a couple of grand flogging my book in order to corner (arguably) the 4th best fighter that represents my gym?

In fact, there's a strong case to be made if Artem beats Cub he leapfrogs both Gunni and Makwan in his proximity to the Belt and Rankings. There's a stack of contenders ahead of Gunni and if Artem wins, he most certainly goes in front of Makwan in the Rankings.

John's supposed to be a Head Coach first and foremost, not an author. You're fooling yourself if you believe Firas or Greg Jackson would choose a money-grab book tour ahead of cornering their fighters.

In fact, case in point:

Firas Zahabi cornered Tom Breese against Nakamura on the Bisping-Silva card. Breese was getting 14k show/14k win.

How much do you think Firas made financially from that trip to London to corner one fighter? Sweet F all.

Yet he showed up. Why do you think that is?

"If one of us goes to war, we all go to war"*

*Terms & Conditions:

Unless -

Partner having a baby.
    Book to be flogged.
    Sitting on a beach getting a tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

Sure wasn't jk at the brave event a few weeks ago. They are hardly getting big bucks so I can't see it being about money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

JK is cage side week in and week out in the smallest of halls around the country for fighters some of us have never even heard of and he has been doing that for 10 years. Sinuous think Artem cares or holds any Ill feeling that he is not there tomorrow? Of course not. I'm sure it was well discussed and Artem was happy to have Roddy, Quelly and Smullen there with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

As far as I know John was going on the trip as a part of his 40th birthday gift. While coinciding it with his long time friend opening SBG Sydney.

He is also promoting his book while he is there as its a great opportunity and market to do so in.

John has hundreds of students under him and and his coaches. He is ultimately only one person and has only so much time in every day which revolves around his fighters and his gym.

There is no off season for MMA like other sports, year around there are fights every weekend with fighters asking John to be in their corners all around the world. He has done my corner a few times on small shows, and will always be in students corners when he is available. If you ever saw his fight schedule its insane and planned as far in advance as possible. But he is also bringing up a generation of quality coaches underneath him. Who can now step up to the plate on the larger shows.

He cannot be at every fight but has done his job training his fighters and coaches so he doesn't have to be. Let the man enjoy some much deserved time to himself.

Option C: I'm already a millionaire from Conor's fight purses alone so I can handle not making a couple of grand flogging my book in order to corner (arguably) the 4th best fighter that represents my gym?
    If you paid for a ticket to the the talk/seminar and John was a no show. I imagine lots would slate him for screwing the fans that paid money to see him.

He's not flogging his wares in bookshops afaik. (I'd have got my copy signed it he was tbh). He did two talks while he was out here. Maybe he just raved about the book I don't know. There was a similar one in Dublin before I think.

There was also a jiu jitsu seminar in SBG Sydney. And some coaching with the current Wimp2Warrior season.
    Firas Zahabi cornered Tom Breese against Nakamura on the Bisping-Silva card. Breese was getting 14k show/14k win.

How much do you think Firas made financially from that trip to London to corner one fighter? Sweet F all.
    Firas fight would have been covered by the UFC. Plus accom and per diem money.

He probably made fk all, almost zero. About as much as John made cornering Amirkhani the same night. :D just saying.

Has Firas never failed to corner a Tristar fighter. Impressive if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its not the point johns not there that gets at me as someone has already said he coners fighters in the back arse of nowhere week in week out. Its just missing a fight of this magnitude that just seems weird. Id personally rather owen myself if given the choice bit it just seems like such a big fight to miss imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 NoelJRyan

You'd imagine it's the sort of situation is talked about with all the parties involved. It is Artem's biggest moment but he seems like the kind of person who would go out to Nashville on his own and not be overly bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

NoelJRyan wrote: »
    You'd imagine it's the sort of situation is talked about with all the parties involved. It is Artem's biggest moment but he seems like the kind of person who would go out to Nashville on his own and not be overly bothered.

Agreed, id say he give a grand total of zero fooks. He just wants to get in there and bang with cub.

Cub will senchai kick his face off, altho hes been sparring conor for donkeys so he can take a shot quite interested in seeing how this fight goes be impressed if Cub finished him, not easy to finish him think hes been only tko'd once or twice artem.

Option C: I'm already a millionaire from Conor's fight purses alone so I can handle not making a couple of grand flogging my book in order to corner (arguably) the 4th best fighter that represents my gym.

You're pulling that out of your hoop. You haven't a breeze how much John has made from Conor's purses or anything else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

You're pulling that out of your hoop. You haven't a breeze how much John has made from Conor's purses or anything else.

I think it's safe to say John has made more than ?1m through Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You'd swear John said nothing to Artem and just ****ed off to Australia for the craic the way some of you are going on.

I imagine this was all pre-planned and discussed at length with Artem, who was cool with it. He seems fairly chill anyway so I doubt he had any issues with this.

Plus, as numerous people have already pointed out, Roddy is the striking coach not John, and this will very much be a stand and bang fight.
    I imagine John and Artem are more than happy for Roddy to take the lead on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think it's safe to say John has made more than ?1m through Conor

Is it? The old rule of thumb in boxing was 10% of the purse (not ppv points). McGregor's in-ring earnings don't even come close to the 10m needed to make that hold true.

Regardless, it all depends on whatever the arrangement between the two of them is but i don't think you can just blindly assume he's made his million.

He was only missing the beard, now hes gone full McGregor pmsl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He gets a lot of stick and rightly so but Christ that video is bad. He seems to be trying to make a bit of a thing of "chin Chinzo". Not sure it's catching on...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement