Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Gamebred wrote: »
    He was only missing the beard, now hes gone full McGregor pmsl

Looks like he is catching up there though, give him a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

You're pulling that out of your hoop. You haven't a breeze how much John has made from Conor's purses or anything else.

I'm not pulling anything out of my hoop.

Myles Jury did a very detailed breakdown of what a typical UFC Fighter's expenses are. Extremely detailed and I encourage you to do some research before making stupid statements.

A UFC Fighter typically pays 10% of their Fight Purse to the Gym and 5% of their Fight Purse to the Coach.

Conor's disclosed salaries:

UFC Fight Night 26: $28,000
    UFC 178: $150,000
    UFC Fight Night 59: $170,000
    UFC 189: $500,000
    UFC 194: $500,000
    UFC 196: $1,000,000
    UFC 202: $3,000,000
    UFC 205: $3,500,000* undisclosed but widely reported.

Total Purses: $8,848,000

15% of that is $1,327,000.

That's not pulled out of my hoop that's based on his disclosed purses and Myles Jury's breakdown of a UFC fighters expenses.

Moreover, it's likely the actual figure that John made is higher than the above number for various reasons.

I might be incorrect but I didn't pull it out of my hoop and I've a hard time believing that I'm far wrong on that.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    You'd swear John said nothing to Artem and just ****ed off to Australia for the craic the way some of you are going on.

I imagine this was all pre-planned and discussed at length with Artem, who was cool with it. He seems fairly chill anyway so I doubt he had any issues with this.

Plus, as numerous people have already pointed out, Roddy is the striking coach not John, and this will very much be a stand and bang fight.
    I imagine John and Artem are more than happy for Roddy to take the lead on this one.

Tazz with all due respect you train in SBG and have never once offered any opinion on here other than John is God. And normally I agree with you but he's not actually God and you are allowed offer a negative opinion :pac:

This is a simple thing where he should WANT to be with his fighter in the biggest fight of his life, not sat on a beach watching it on his mobile. Artem might get sparked out cold in 8 seconds, it shouldn't matter. If he wins and enjoys the biggest win of his career, would a Coach not want to share in that amazing moment after all the hard work over so many years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Tazz with all due respect you train in SBG and have never once offered any opinion on here other than John is God. And normally I agree with you but he's not actually God and you are allowed offer a negative opinion :pac:

This is a simple thing where he should WANT to be with his fighter in the biggest fight of his life, not sat on a beach watching it on his mobile. Artem might get sparked out cold in 8 seconds, it shouldn't matter. If he wins and enjoys the biggest win of his career, would a Coach not want to share in that amazing moment after all the hard work over so many years?
    Actually, I never mention John is God. He's just the head coach to me, nothing more :)
    You are absolutely allowed a negative opinion, place would be boring if there was no debate, but I'm also allowed an opinion as well :)

I just don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. He's taking a holiday, which he's entitled to do, which just happens to be the same time as Artems fight.

I'd say the holiday/trip was booked before Artems fight was announced and a bit of planning went into it, possibly not all by John. For all we know, Orlagh could have planned a lot of it as part of his birthday present.

I'd also say this was all discussed with Artem and a plan was hammered out, which is what we're looking at now.

I also think Roddy is a better choice as head coach for this fight.

Actually, I never mention John is God. He's just the head coach to me, nothing more :)
    You are absolutely allowed a negative opinion, place would be boring if there was no debate, but I'm also allowed an opinion as well :)

I just don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. He's taking a holiday, which he's entitled to do, which just happens to be the same time as Artems fight.

I'd say the holiday/trip was booked before Artems fight was announced and a bit of planning went into it, possibly not all by John. For all we know, Orlagh could have planned a lot of it as part of his birthday present.

I'd also say this was all discussed with Artem and a plan was hammered out, which is what we're looking at now.

I also think Roddy is a better choice as head coach for this fight.

As I said, great opportunity for Owen to get some valuable experience of being the Head Coach in a high-profile fight. Will stand him in great stead in the future if, for example, SBG have high profile fighters fighting on the same weekend on different continents.

I still think it's poor planning. The fight was announced February 11th, 2017 and John tweeted today it's his "Final Night in Australia". With better planning surely he could have got a flight this morning/this evening to Nashville? 19 hour flight he'd have been there with oceans of time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sure it's weird not to see John there but people on here seem more bothered about it than Artem, which is weirder.

• Advertisement

Sure it's weird not to see John there but people on here seem more bothered about it than Artem, which is weirder.

Sometimes there's a difference between what someone says and how someone feels.

In fact, that's often the case in life :)

How do you think that discussion might have went?

John: Sh1t sorry Artem, Orlagh has booked Australia for my 40th I'll be away. Are you cool to handle the last 4 weeks of fight camp and fight night without me?

Artem: It's the biggest fight of my life, I've waited for this opportunity for years and I'd obviously prefer you in my corner..... Yeah course John that's cool I'd drop the hammer on him fighting in an empty car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You would do yourself a massive favour in stepping outside of anyone's head but your own, because you overthink these situations to a scary degree.

Go dance around or maybe take up some training, be it mind or body - whatever it takes to stop you stepping into someone's head and dreaming up a multitude of scenarios for....what?

For all the very reasonable possible explanations presented to you, you've swept them aside and decided that there's something weird is going on. "Is everything ok!? Isn't it strange?" and on and on and on.

The trip was booked well before Artem's was finalised. Anything else is pure speculation, but hey, we humans love a good speculate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I'd also say this was all discussed with Artem and a plan was hammered out

No pun intended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Sometimes there's a difference between what someone says and how someone feels.

In fact, that's often the case in life :)

How do you think that discussion might have went?

John: Sh1t sorry Artem, Orlagh has booked Australia for my 40th I'll be away. Are you cool to handle the last 4 weeks of fight camp and fight night without me?

Artem: It's the biggest fight of my life, I've waited for this opportunity for years and I'd obviously prefer you in my corner..... Yeah course John that's cool I'd drop the hammer on him fighting in an empty car park.

Seriously. How many scenarios have you thought of.

If JK ( or anyone who runs their own business ) books a holiday half way across the world i would guess a fair bit of planning goes into that and it is booked a good bit in advance due to all his commitments and he needs to cover himself.

Its not like hes 3 hours away on the costa del sol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I won't believe McGregor has the same type of deals with his gym/coaches/managers as a mid level guy like Jury has.

I just don't see him shelling out $300k and $350k to the gym for his last two fights. That's just madness.

I'd assume he has a totally different % or even just a flat rate worked out with gym/coaches etc

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    No pun intended :D
    Never even realised :D

Richy06 wrote: »
    Go dance around or maybe take up some training, be it mind or body - whatever it takes to stop you stepping into someone's head ....

Was that an offer of a jiujitsu lesson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Was that an offer of a jiujitsu lesson :)

You know where to find me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Looks like Charlie Ward is getting one more chance at UFC Scotland. His last fight was utter domination.
    I don't go in the McG thread so sorry if this is already posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Deadst4r wrote: »
    Looks like Charlie Ward is getting one more chance at UFC Scotland. His last fight was utter domination.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMcEcTg0Rl/?taken-by=thenotoriousmma

Who is his opponent?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Who is his opponent?
    Hasn't been announced yet

just had a look at the next UFC PPV and it looks freaking amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Derrick Lewis vs Mark Hunt in UFC Auckland in June. Nice fight to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Derrick Lewis vs Mark Hunt in UFC Auckland in June. Nice fight to look forward to.

It'll be a grappling clinic :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reckon if lewis scores a spectacular knockout he could be rushed into a title shot. Always fun to watch

• Advertisement

I hope the UFC give him an easy style-match-up with a grappler and not a striker. Minimises the risk of another nasty KO. That last one was a beatdown.

I hope the UFC give him an easy style-match-up with a grappler and not a striker. Minimises the risk of another nasty KO. That last one was a beatdown.

Not a fan of Charlie, hope he gets KO'd again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Absolute bum he is horrific at everything.

Absolute bum he is horrific at everything.

Yeah and I have heard a few stories about him not being polite to fans, which kind of annoys me. I mean I don't know Conor but I have heard some good stories about him being great to fans, granted nowadays he has so many freaking people coming up to him I can understand why sometimes he can be cranky (its human nature) but overall what I heard about Conor is he is a gent.

I did like the first wave of people Conor was getting in like Ais (who got in by her own right) and Paddy. They seemed like great people and I was big supporters of them, Pendred also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I'm sure many fighter's early fight records aren't amazing but this breakdown of Khabib's record is eye-opening:

"Bewilderingly, in his 15th professional fight Khabib fought an opponent making his debut"

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/dodonovan/opinion-khabib-nurmagomedovs-mma-record-is-extremely-padded-and-absolutely-baffling/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Welcome to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I'm sure many fighter's early fight records aren't amazing but this breakdown of Khabib's record is eye-opening:

"Bewilderingly, in his 15th professional fight Khabib fought an opponent making his debut"

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/dodonovan/opinion-khabib-nurmagomedovs-mma-record-is-extremely-padded-and-absolutely-baffling/

There's no doubt most of his pre UFC wins mean virtually nothing, but he's 8-0 in the UFC. Again some of these are not too impressive, but 8 straight wins in any division against any opponents is notable in the UFC. It's extremely rare. I don't have the data to hand but I'd say it's not much more than a handful of guys that have ever done it. And his opponents got better in almost every fight, Horcher being a notable exception but that was a short notice replacement.

As far as streaks go in the UFC, there aren't many I can think of that I could call better. Maia, Ferguson and Holloway are on similar runs but again, some of these are against non ranked opponents. I suppose we can only really judge a fighter on how he performs against top opponents, and Khabib hasn't had much of a chance to show us.

Yeah and I have heard a few stories about him not being polite to fans, which kind of annoys me.

Charlie is a gent, he just looks like someone you wouldn't want to piss off ha.

To be fair to him, he's been working on his stand up a lot lately from what I've seen, was doing plenty of footwork drills etc with Conor.
    At least he's showing the willingness to work on improving anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Charlie is a gent, he just looks like someone you wouldn't want to piss off ha.

Tazz defending someone from SBG, water is wet.

• Advertisement

Tazz defending someone from SBG, water is wet.
    I'd defend him even if he wasn't, he's a nice enough lad :)

Besides, I don't like everyone down there :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement