Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Has Nick ever taken a bomb as big as Woodleys and survived before?

Who realistically is available to fight Woodley other than Nick? from the murmurs it sounds like a big fight so unless it's Conor...

I'm clutching here but given the landscape of the division at 170, would it be so outlandish to say either Carlos Condit or Khabib?

I know Condit's coming off the Maia loss but he's the highest ranked realistic contender available at WW for a rematch - redemption? I know Khabib is unranked at 170lbs but given Maia and Masvidal are tied up, GSP tied up, Robbie Lawler and Wonderboy clearly not deserving rematches......

It would make some semblance of sense for it to be Condit. That'd be a great fight. Khabib would be out of left-field but I imagine Dana would trust him far more to show up at 170lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Woodley campaigned for diaz

Yep. Bisping wanted Hendo too. He at least was active and had won a fight

I'm clutching here but given the landscape of the division at 170, would it be so outlandish to say either Carlos Condit or Khabib?

I know Condit's coming off the Maia loss but he's the highest ranked realistic contender available at WW for a rematch - redemption? I know Khabib is unranked at 170lbs but given Maia and Masvidal are tied up, GSP tied up, Robbie Lawler and Wonderboy clearly not deserving rematches......

It would make some semblance of sense for it to be Condit. That'd be a great fight. Khabib would be out of left-field but I imagine Dana would trust him far more to show up at 170lbs.
    Condit maybe but cant see it. Khabib no chance

No matter who it is Maia is getting absolutely screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

No matter who it is Maia is getting absolutely screwed

Totally and in promotion vids I saw is ignored, it appears his bout with Masvidal is before the title fights but in the vids outside of the title fights only highlight Edgar and Yair.

Masvidal is 100% correct in his assessment the UFC keep tossing him guys they want to see beaten.

Maia is one of my favourite people, seems like such a good guy but the UFC are no dummies they know a Brazilian JiuJitsu wizard doesn't get the casual fan interested enough to part with $60.

Whereas Masvidal is mainly about throwing hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Masvidal seems like a top fella but I hope he's tapped (Sorry Gamebred :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nick was dropped by bombs from Paul Daley came back and finished him with in the first round put a crazy pace on him one of my favourite fights,

Condit I dont think is even training anymore or is doing very little think hes retired, outside of Diaz and Conor its hard to guess who the hell Woodley is training to fight, he could be on the wind up mind but not sure what he'd get out of that.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Nick was dropped by bombs from Paul Daley came back and finished him with in the first round put a crazy pace on him one of my favourite fights,

Condit I dont think is even training anymore or is doing very little think hes retired, outside of Diaz and Conor its hard to guess who the hell Woodley is training to fight, he could be on the wind up mind but not sure what he'd get out of that.

Highly unlikely I know but there's plenty of chat that Bisping v GSP is on shaky ground.

What better way for Bisping to piss Romero off than to fight Woodley? That's possible I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Is woodley a bit soft in the head?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd be surprised if it was Nick Diaz, lots of talk that he has a bad neck injury and won't fight again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

It would easily surpass Hendo as the most undeserved title shot of all time

Would it really though? Diaz got his last title shot off a loss to Condit. Gustafson and Cormier both fought for titles off losses. Going back further so have other fighters. I'm not saying it's right, and I wish the UFC would use a proper ranking system for fights, but let's not pretend that undeserved title shots and money fights are a new thing, they've always been around.

Django99 wrote: »
    Would it really though? Diaz got his last title shot off a loss to Condit. Gustafson and Cormier both fought for titles off losses. Going back further so have other fighters. I'm not saying it's right, and I wish the UFC would use a proper ranking system for fights, but let's not pretend that undeserved title shots and money fights are a new thing, they've always been around.

It would. He still hasnt won a fight since that loss. That is 3 losses in a row and no win in 6 years.

People have fought off losses and for undeserved title shots before - i didnt like it when they did but this would be another level . 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

It would. He still hasnt won a fight since that loss. That is 3 losses in a row and no win in 6 years.

People have fought off losses and for undeserved title shots before - i didnt like it when they did but this would be another level . 6 years

Yeah I suppose this would be a new extreme. Thinking about it more it would actually be very hard for Dana to try to justify it. The last time he could say a lot of people though Nick beat Condit, and same with Gus v Jones. No hiding the fact Nick has done nothing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I actually think Conor v Nate x2 has somehow elevated Nick Diaz in people's estimation .
    For no logical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Mellor wrote: »
    I actually think Conor v Nate x2 has somehow elevated Nick Diaz in people's estimation .
    For no logical reason.

I think casuals think there is one diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I think casuals think there is one diaz.

I think nick won't like nate being top diaz

That division lasted long..

UFC: Fight Cyborg or GTFO

Germaine: I'm going on holiday to Peru for 20 years

This is worth a watch, about Cian Cowleys journey to pro mma and his training in Iceland, sad when you have to depend on charity from James McClean to fund a training camp.....

• Advertisement

This is worth a watch, about Cian Cowleys journey to pro mma and his training in Iceland, sad when you have to depend on charity from James McClean to fund a training camp.....

Why was he saying they couldn't afford a 5 star hotel for a month so they're sleeping in a friends spare room? What's wrong with a 2-star or renting a flat?

I had a quick look and you can rent some lovely apartments in Reykavik for 1200 for a month stay, that'd be 150 euro a week each between the 2 of them.

Even 2 people on the dole with enough planning and saving could probably swing affording that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

is he any good?

His house in Dublin didn't look shabby, we is playing the poor card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

darced wrote: »
    Clearly minted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Clearly minted

I think it's called first world problems these days. I laughted a lot at this video. Breadline my hole!
    The poor chap. Given free accomadation and has the cheek to call it a shjthole. Having to drive in a subaru, gosh, my heart bleeds. Or walk in -2 degree weather!!!! Reminds me of Rocky 4 in Russia. NOT.
    Eating in Michelin star Resturant everyday, yeah, it's a real tough life.
    By the sounds of the way this simpleton is going on you'd swear he was fighting bears for his dinner, had to sleep on gym floors and work out in an old barn.
    Fcukin clown. God love him.

Can we set up a gofundme to get him back his gucci shoes boys? its his human right...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Can we set up a gofundme to get him back his gucci shoes boys? its his human right...

I think it'd be madness not to

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Clearly minted

Do you have an elaborate alert system enabled on a new iPhone to specifically ping you when one of us criticizes SBG or an SBG athlete :pac: :P

It's like the Bat Signal haha :)

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I think it's called first world problems these days. I laughted a lot at this video. Breadline my hole!
    The poor chap. Given free accomadation and has the cheek to call it a shjthole. Having to drive in a subaru, gosh, my heart bleeds. Or walk in -2 degree weather!!!! Reminds me of Rocky 4 in Russia. NOT.
    By the sounds of the way this simpleton is going on you'd swear he was fighting bears for his dinner, had to sleep on gym floors and work out in an old barn.

On top of all that, Cowley lost his MMA debut pretty comprehensively on points to a lad that Richie Smullen dispatched quite easily with a heel hook.

Early days but I suppose my point is it's a bit strange for an amateur MMA fighter with a 0-1 record to be recording VLOGS about a training camp?

I think he's discovering the transition from elite Muay Thai to MMA ain't gonna be all sunshine and rainbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Dtp1979 wrote: »

He seems alright, other than when it comes to money. He has had what 1 pro fight? (I know he has loads of thai fights but still) People acting like they made it before they have does my head in, at least he realized he looks like an eejit wearing gucci shoes. The house he was in was grand too, show a bit of gratitude that you got a place to stay for free. Instead he was saying it's so bad that it's humbling. Soft as f*ck.

I don't know where he gets the notion that people think he's staying in 5* hotels. He's still an unproven regional fighter, you'd expect him to scraping by and possibly working on the side while he makes a name for himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement