Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dublin is hardly overly inconvenient these days.

Shannon and Cork both suit me very well w/ work etc.

Dublin doesn't suit me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dc vs jon jones confirmed for 214 in july

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

ricero wrote: »
    Dc vs jon jones confirmed for 214 in july

Hopefully it happens this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Is Jones not banned till the week after international fight week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Gamebred wrote: »
    Is Jones not banned till the week after international fight week?

Think fight week is at the beginning of July just before 213, 214 is at the end of July

• Advertisement

Ah right didnt think they done 2 ppv's in the same month, sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Wasn't it said before that Jones couldn't headline a card on his return as he is too unreliable?

Wonder if another title fight will take top billing like maybe Woodley or Nunes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wasn't it said before that Jones couldn't headline a card on his return as he is too unreliable?

Wonder if another title fight will take top billing like maybe Woodley or Nunes

It's Dana, 99% of what comes out of his mouth is utter bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

xtal191 wrote: »
    It's Dana, 99% of what comes out of his mouth is utter bull****.

Speaking of which....

Dana announced that the GSP - Bisping fight is OFF.

Bisping will be forced to defend against Yoel Romero.

He said when they held the press conference GSP led him to believe he was willing and able to fight in the summer. Now he's uncertain if GSP ever fights again, hinting it's a publicity stunt.

Excellent, Romero gets the belt now cannot wait for the boiled piss when he's walking round as champ he will be hated even more.

• Advertisement

Excellent, Romero gets the belt now cannot wait for the boiled piss when he's walking round as champ he will be hated even more.

I think either Romero KO's him early or Bisping beats him comfortably in a decision TBH.

Bisping has cardio for days, Romero badly gassed against Jacare and took the first round off against Weidman purely to try last 3 rounds.

Mousasi and Whitaker are much harder opponents for Bisping because they're technically better and can sustain their pace for 5 rounds. With Romero it's basically "avoid being KO'd for 3 rounds".

Romero's gas tank or lack of is a myth in someways, yeah hes a big muscley guy who doesnt look too fresh but he's had 5 3rd round ko's from his last 6 fights, that shows you how dangerous he is, 15 minute to take Bisping out is plenty time, I do see the scenario of Bisping jabbing his way to a win though tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is there a press conferance on tonight or tomorrow for the ufc summer events ? Im sure dana will shed some light on the situation tonight.

Right decision anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Beaming about Romero getting a title shot "SHEE YOU SHOON.....BOY! I have an awful feeling the fight will never happen. Bisping will get injured and be back in time for October when GSP will be more of a money fight for all involved.

Between this, Jones v DC and if they would just announce Conor v Tony, UFC might actually be getting back on track.

http://cagepages.com/

Lead Opinion article.

Ok, it's not the New York Times but still cool.

http://cagepages.com/

Lead Opinion article.

Ok, it's not the New York Times but still cool.

Is this yours Wonder? Brilliant read!

http://cagepages.com/2017/05/10/ufc-211-moving-day-wme-brazilian-mma/

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Thanks man!

Yeah I wrote it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aldo split his head open during sparring. 5 stitches.
    Is Nova Uniao just incapable of learning anything?

Mellor wrote: »
    Aldo split his head open during sparring. 5 stitches.
    Is Nova Uniao just incapable of learning anything?

Win or Learn.

Or just keep getting injured bringing in sparring partners to mimic opponents.

This happening in the same week Eddie Alvarez admitted to KO'ing Jonas Bilharinho (Conor mimic) the 2nd day after he arrived and having to put him up in his gaf for the rest of the stay!

Awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Didn't realise Eddie brought in Bilharinho guy who injured Aldo's ribs.
    He didn't want to take any chances and took him out.

Apparently Aldo caught a knee to the head, and split him open. It's on the top of the head so they are out ts not an issue. But thats not the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I heard it was a clash of heads. Both shooting for a takedown.

Something very similar happened to myself a few months ago. It was accidental but happened with someone I never sparred before, we both shot in for a takedown at the same time. His head was down facing he ground so i got the top of his head into my eyebrow.. It was a really bad looking cut but healed up fine for a fight I had 5 weeks later.

Doctor said after 5 weeks it was a healed as it was ever going to get. So I suspect Aldo should not have any issue with it if he looks after it, he will be able to do most things in a week provided he lets it get a proper seal during the first few days and keeps it dry.

Strange for him to even release a picture of the cut not sure what hes trying to achieve, the fight im looking forward to most this year Holloway is too rangey for him fights southpaw and orthodox love to see him merk Aldo.

Strange for him to even release a picture of the cut not sure what hes trying to achieve, the fight im looking forward to most this year Holloway is too rangey for him fights southpaw and orthodox love to see him merk Aldo.

Playing devils advocate.....The last time he released pictures of being injured it was to try get out of the Conor fight.

Is it possible he's releasing this picture now with a view to pulling out of the fight in the coming weeks?

Let's be fair, it wouldn't be the first time he has missed a fight in dubious circumstances :pac:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/862701877724622848

Seems Woodley is in training for Maia or Masvidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Holloway is brilliant but this is a very winnable fight for Jose IMO, he is a class above Max. Holloway being rangey won't really come into play since Aldo has a slight reach advantage over him. I'd predict 49-46 Aldo with Max winning one of the last two rounds. Should be entertaining though.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Holloway is brilliant but this is a very winnable fight for Jose IMO, he is a class above Max. Holloway being rangey won't really come into play since Aldo has a slight reach advantage over him. I'd predict 49-46 Aldo with Max winning one of the last two rounds. Should be entertaining though.

Your underestimating Holloway like you did Whittaker :pac: What he done to Swanson that night made me believe hes proper elite never seen Cub taken apart that easily and subbed, took a few minutes to read Pettis then absolutely took him apart I can see him schooling Aldo if Im honest was expecting bigger odds on it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Your underestimating Holloway like you did Whittaker :pac: What he done to Swanson that night made me believe hes proper elite never seen Cub taken apart that easily and subbed, took a few minutes to read Pettis then absolutely took him apart I can see him schooling Aldo if Im honest was expecting bigger odds on it mind.

We'll see very soon, I still think a lot of people are underestimating Aldo after his 13 second KO defeat, even though he dominated the top contender in that division a few months later. Not betting on this one though because it's a guaranteed way for me to be proven wrong lately, tired of these Brazilians making me look like a fool for backing them lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Eh is the forum acting a bit strange for anyone else? I can't see any threads older than the Bellator/WSOF one, and there's no option to go to the next page, weird. Every other forums seems to be working fine for me

Eh is the forum acting a bit strange for anyone else? I can't see any threads older than the Bellator/WSOF one, and there's no option to go to the next page, weird. Every other forums seems to be working fine for me

Fine for me. On mobile and can see all the threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gunnar v Ponzinibio headlines Glasgow.

Ponzinibio is underrated at 6-2 but it's disappointing Gunnar hasn't been given a Neil Magny type fight IMO. Usman would have even been much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement