Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Anik kept his word on the tattoo!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCypbFamTry/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dats wasssup!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Haha thats brilliant fair play to him man of his word,or he was afraid of getting stockton slapped :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,381 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In all sports now, if a player gets concussed, he is automatically removed from the field of play, where as in MMA, if he recuperates quickly enough, then he can carry on fighting.

I don't think actually that happens as often as the regulators like to pretend. For example, NRL grand final last year, Sam Burgees breaks his orbital bone in the first tackle. he was down for a bit, but gets up and plays on the entire match. He was certainly concussed, and the blow he took wouls have absolutely have stopped an MMA match.

Countless other example in rugby, and other full contact sports.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Looks like Sonia O'Sullivan has something to say about " the death zone" :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sonia-o-sullivan-is-mma-really-sport-if-it-enters-the-death-zone-1.2566557

Holy shít that was painful to read. What an absolute, complete and utter, fúcking moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think actually that happens as often as the regulators like to pretend. For example, NRL grand final last year, Sam Burgees breaks his orbital bone in the first tackle. he was down for a bit, but gets up and plays on the entire match. He was certainly concussed, and the blow he took wouls have absolutely have stopped an MMA match.

yes but it's being addressed and is a massive talking point. Any knock to the head and you're off for 10 minutes for an HIA. If you've lost consciousness then you are automatically taken off the pitch (mistakes are still being made and some concussions are missed obviously).

It's not perfect but is being taken incredibly seriously. I can only imagine that at some point MMA will be asked to reassess and take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Holy shít that was painful to read. What an absolute, complete and utter, fúcking moron.

Not the worst anti MMA stuff I've read. Only poor part is the last paragraph where she questions is it a sport. All else she really says is she's not comfortable watching it due to blood, choke outs etc which is fair enough. It's not gonna be for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

yes but it's being addressed and is a massive talking point. Any knock to the head and you're off for 10 minutes for an HIA. If you've lost consciousness then you are automatically taken off the pitch (mistakes are still being made and some concussions are missed obviously).

It's not perfect but is being taken incredibly seriously. I can only imagine that at some point MMA will be asked to reassess and take a look at it.

It’s not any knock to the head, it’s only if there’s suspicion of a concussion.

MMA actually has more stringent ‘return to play’ protocols than rugby does, seeing as they all have a full post fight medical assessment and enforced breaks for injuries unless they receive clearance.

Boxing has a much bigger issue with concussion with their standing 8 count so I can’t see there being pressure on MMA until something is done about that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It’s not any knock to the head, it’s only if there’s suspicion of a concussion.

MMA actually has more stringent ‘return to play’ protocols than rugby does, seeing as they all have a full post fight medical assessment and enforced breaks for injuries unless they receive clearance.

Boxing has a much bigger issue with concussion with their standing 8 count so I can’t see there being pressure on MMA until something is done about that.
    The pressure should really be coming from within though, the fighters need to be aware that it could (probably will) be a problem for them later in life and they should really be the ones to push for investigations and research into what the effects will be on their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Mellor wrote: »

yeah boxing is a much bigger problem with their standing 8 counts. At least in MMA if a ref believes a fighter to be out, even for a split second, they stop the fight(or are supposed to).

Saying other sports are addressing it I don't think is true though. In the football world cup final, about 18 months ago, the German midfielder Kramer got sparked out after about 10 mins but played on. I think it got to HT before they subbed him off, the player has since said he can't remember being on the pitch doe the match. I think its coming down to individuals, or their team(manager, coach or doctor). A few weeks ago Sakho, the Liverpool player got hit on the head and was taken off after a few minutes but you could see the player himself didnt want to go off.

I blame Will Smith and his crap African accent :D In fairness though, its bad when it takes Hollywood to make a film about something before it comes into the general publics consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kimbo & Shamrock both failed tests, bit surprised..... Said nobody ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »

Haha what an absolute joke show "he hit me in the nuts"

Love to see Gunnar Nelson fight one the Diaz brothers,just a random thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just seen this too. Bellator is becoming a total farce they really need to sort it out. Having these fights is bad enough for the sport even before you take this sort of thing into account. Love how on the mma fighting game story the bellator guys response seems to be er Yeh we hadn't heard about that. All events like they run do is give fuel to the fire of the anti-mma media.

Shamrock looking absolutly chizeled at what 52? Absolutely shoveling in the HGH, Dada would have probally failed a test to if he wasn't dying from dehydration and got tested. Such a weird promotion considering they have some great exciting fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »
    Love to see Gunnar Nelson fight one the Diaz brothers,just a random thought.

I think they'd both **** him up tbh.

Yeah they would box him around but I'd just love to see the grappling exchanges to be honest.

Have the same sentiment, would love to see gunner fight at LW myself.

On the random tuaghts, I still can't believe Big Ben subbed Barnett, even though I picked it on the fantasy picks still can't believe he done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I hope Kimbo kept the receipt for the drugs because I'd certainly be asking for my money back if I was him. :pac:

On a serious note though, Dada was in an extremely bad way after the fight and suffered cardiac arrest. What would Bellator have done if the worst had of happened and then it's revealed that Kimbo was in there on drugs?

A joke of an organisation, but the worst part is the potential is actually there for them in a big way. They'll never realise it under the current ownership however.

• Advertisement

On the random tuaghts, I still can't believe Big Ben subbed Barnett, even though I picked it on the fantasy picks still can't believe he done it.

Yeah theres a small part of me that wants to experience that gogo choke to see what death is like ha I got a picture with him in dublin and his hand is about 3 times the size of mine shovels isnt the word,on a personal note his bird is a dime piece.

Paully D wrote: »
    I hope Kimbo kept the receipt for the drugs because I'd certainly be asking for my money back if I was him. :pac:

On a serious note though, Dada was in an extremely bad way after the fight and suffered cardiac arrest. What would Bellator have done if the worst had of happened and then it's revealed that Kimbo was in there on drugs?

A joke of an organisation, but the worst part is the potential is actually there for them in a big way. They'll never realise it under the current ownership however.

https://twitter.com/Izi_Garcia/status/708431550526976000

Yeah theres a small part of me that wants to experience that gogo choke to see what death is like ha I got a picture with him in dublin and his hand is about 3 times the size of mine shovels isnt the word,on a personal note his bird is a dime piece.

It looks riduclous painful on the own wind pipe, yeah I met him myself he's an absolute legend, I'd love to see him win the belt. Been through massive adversity and is an all around great guy,.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yeah Rothwell is such a nice guy. I met him myself in Dublin and he couldn't have been any nicer. What makes it even more impressive is that he had been dealt a very bad hand by the UFC with them giving Arlovski the Miocic fight in the circumstances and then he had to put up with Arlovski being there for most of the week too. That can't have been easy for him but he really made the most of a bad situation and won so many fans over here.

I'd love to see him get that title shot. It would be one of the best rebirths in the sport IMO. Going from rotating wins and losses against the likes of Yvel, Schaub, Gonzaga and Hunt a few years ago to winning 5 on the bounce if he takes Dos Santos.

I know there's that suspension a few years ago that isn't going to just go away because he's a nice guy, but he has been tested by USADA 4 times this year alone which makes him the most tested fighter on the roster this year behind only Anderson (9), Cruz (5), McGregor (5) and Rumble (5).

Yeah and the fact Arlovski is a big anto social eastern european made him look even better in comparison,nobody will shoot a takedown at him with that gogo choke in his arsenal not to mention hes a bear anyways but nobody wants that slapped on them poor mittrione tapping for his life,

Its gonna be interesting who they give Holloway to next in the fw division any guesses lads?

Yeah and the fact Arlovski is a big anto social eastern european made him look even better in comparison,nobody will shoot a takedown at him with that gogo choke in his arsenal not to mention hes a bear anyways but nobody wants that slapped on them poor mittrione tapping for his life,

Its gonna be interesting who they give Holloway to next in the fw division any guesses lads?

I would assume it will be whoever doesn't fight Conor, I'd love to see him fight Aldo. Forums back to normalish also thank God, we may make a random chat thread I'd reckon to stop clogging up this one.

Actual Nevermind I'm an idiot this is a chat thread

I would assume it will be whoever doesn't fight Conor, I'd love to see him fight Aldo. Forums back to normalish also thank God, we may make a random chat thread I'd reckon to stop clogging up this one.

Set one up there bill off ya go,Im watching 189 again such a great card tommy almeida is some brawler he is gonna be in some serious wars till the day he retires.

Set one up there bill off ya go,Im watching 189 again such a great card tommy almeida is some brawler he is gonna be in some serious wars till the day he retires.

Fightpass is riduclously good, the last few nights after work iv gone down to my mates flake out and watch some old events, so handy. Almeida is a scary dude, that flying knee will haunt picket for the rest of his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Another day, another Brazilian (Nova Uniao) potential(harhar) failed drug test

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/12/11211086/ufc-lightweight-flagged-for-potential-usada-anti-doping-violation

The United States Anti-Doping Agency revealed on Friday afternoon that lightweight competitor Felipe Olivieri is the latest UFC fighter to be flagged for a potential anti-doping violation.
    According to the statement, Olivieri tested negative for banned substances during the in-competition fight night testing but later failed an out-of-competition test that led to the violation.
    The entire statement is available below:
    The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Felipe Olivieri of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection. Although the sample collected from Olivieri following his bout at UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs. Bader on January 30, 2016, was reported as negative for prohibited substances, a sample collected from him in Brazil earlier that month, and analyzed at the WADA accredited laboratory in Rio de Janeiro, was recently reported to USADA as containing a prohibited substance.
    USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Olivieri, as it relates to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and future UFC participation. Because Olivieri participated in a bout sanctioned by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board after the sample in question was collected, USADA will work to ensure that the Board has the necessary information to determine the appropriate course of action under the Board's rules.
    According to MMAFighting, who spoke to Oliveiri and Nova Uniao head coach Andre Pederneiras, the substance he tested positive for was methyltestosterone. He maintains that he has never ingested banned substances.

• Advertisement

Everyone in nova uniao are juiced to the gils

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement