Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Weird match up, should be fighting a big name now while he is on a winning streak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

State of that main event, no surprise really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Beersmith wrote: »
    Weird match up, should be fighting a big name now while he is on a winning streak

Yea hes doing himself no favours. A loss and hes back to square one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

That's an absolute bollox of a main event. There were so many decent opponents for Gunni, Mike Perry, Thiago Alves, Neil Magny....this fight does nothing for him

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sickened about that fight! Delighted to be seeing Gunni fight again but wish he was fighting up instead of down!

• Advertisement

Surely if Gunni wins this fight, his next fight will be a good opponent? Anyway Gunni is my current favourite fighter from SBG..... WAR GUNNI! He is such a likable guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cligy

Joanne Calderwood vs. Cynthia Calvillo announced today for Glasgow. Very interesting matchup there. Hard to pick, Joanne is the far better striker but her sub defense is lacking so Cynthia could get the choke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

This might be a conspiracy theory.....John Kavanagh very publicly appealed for Wonderboy Thompson for Gunni as a next opponent. Artem & John very publicly appealed for Doo Ho Choi for Artem. Within the space of 48 hours, Gunni gets handed an unranked Argentine opponent and Doo gets handed unranked Andre Fili (instead of unranked Artem).

I might be over-thinking this but I feel like Sean Shelby and Dana White are sending a clear message to Conor and SBG here.

To Conor - a) Cut the crap with your demands for the Floyd fight or all of your team-mates are gonna continue to get crap match-ups with no benefit to them even if they win.

and/or

To Conor & SBG - b) Cut the crap on these high profile public appeals for big fights when you keep handing us bums not up to UFC level.

At some point Sean Shelby is going to push back on John repeatedly trying to play match-maker in trying to pressure him publicly into match-ups. Dana is already annoyed at not getting Conor's side of the deal done for the Mayweather thing. They're both going to have enough eventually and we might be seeing this in action here. The easiest way they can do that right now is by giving Conor's team-mates horrible match-ups with little upside to them.

I fully expect now to see Artem thrown in on a Micky Mouse undercard that nobody will watch against a tough opponent, perhaps UFC on Fox 25, July 22nd in Uniondale, New York.

That might be just a big elaborate conspiracy theory but this is fundamentally how both Sean Shelby and Dana White operate. They don't like being told what to do, they both hold grudges (Al Iaquinta) and if a Fighter, Gym, Coach or Manager is annoying them, the way they handle it is usually through match-making.

You are absolutely overthinking it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    You are absolutely overthinking it.

That's up to you to decide but I don't find the 3 events coincidental.

1. Dana says Conor has until Sunday to sign the deal.
    2. Hours later Doo Ho Choi handed a different fight to the one Artem wanted.
    3. Gunni handed an unranked Argentine, a step backwards.

If you think the timing of all that is coincidental and unrelated, ok.

But that IS how the UFC operate. Plenty of fighters will testify to the fact they are petty, vindictive and hold grudges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wonderful do you actually believe that nonsense or do you have to meet a quota for posts so any Shiite will do.

Eddie Bravo-esque with his conspiracies, Joe.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Wonderful do you actually believe that nonsense or do you have to meet a quota for posts so any Shiite will do.

:pac:

Charlie Ward handed effectively an undefeated guy who was rated a better fighter than MVP.

Gunni handed an unranked Argentine in a no-win match. If he wins, whoop-de-do. If he loses he drops in the rankings.

Artem publicly appeals for Doo Ho Choi, hours later they hand Doo Ho Choi a Team Alpha Male reject.

Keep an eye on who they hand John Phillips for his debut as well. I guarantee it's an opponent they are highly keen on pushing.

Yeah I believe there might be something in the crap I'm posting.

I can see your line of thinking but I would be extremely surprised if it was the case. I think with Gunni v Ponzinibio it is as basic as Ponzinibio probably has a contract where he is paid a pittance, it's a fight pass show and the gate receipts will be minimal, thus a higher profit margin for the UFC. 

When you say about 'hours later Doo Hoo Choi handed a slightly different fight', I find it hard to believe that the UFC can put together any bout that quickly. They need to draw up bout agreements, etc. It's also very possible that they want to keep a hold of Artem and are planning on giving him a more winnable fight next time around.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I can see your line of thinking but I would be extremely surprised if it was the case. I think with Gunni v Ponzinibio it is as basic as Ponzinibio probably has a contract where he is paid a pittance, it's a fight pass show and the gate receipts will be minimal, thus a higher profit margin for the UFC. 

When you say about 'hours later Doo Hoo Choi handed a slightly different fight', I find it hard to believe that the UFC can put together any bout that quickly. They need to draw up bout agreements, etc. It's also very possible that they want to keep a hold of Artem and are planning on giving him a more winnable fight next time around.

Ponzinibbio is actually on not bad money (relatively). He was on $24,000/$24,000 when last seen and signed a new contract since then.

Anyway, just a theory.

Moving on....

Ponzinibbio is actually on not bad money (relatively). He was on $24,000/$24,000 when last seen and signed a new contract since then.

Anyway, just a theory.

Moving on....
    SBG wanted the Wonderboy fight, he made made $380k to show for UFC 209.  UFC needs a headliner for Glasgow, Gunni is available and appeals to fans on this side of the pond. Happy days

SBG wanted the Wonderboy fight, he made made $380k to show for UFC 209.  UFC needs a headliner for Glasgow, Gunni is available and appeals to fans on this side of the pond. Happy days

Maybe that's all there is to it. Just thought it was a weird pattern of events. They're all brutal match-ups for SBG.

Ponzibbio is no joke. Neither is Galore Bofando.

Tough fights with very little upside.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Theory is ridiculous tbh.
    Gunni and Arten are not up to UFC standard? Since when?

Also the "hours later" claim is silly. A fight is made long before a fight is announced. It's likely Korean Superboy signed this fight before Artem fought Cub

Mellor wrote: »

Also the "hours later" claim is silly. A fight is made long before a fight is announced. It's likely Korean Superboy signed this fight before Artem fought Cub

I was referring to Charlie, Artem and John Phillips when I said that, even then it's possible all 3 rise to the challenge and become top 10 fighters.

Ok I'll concede my conspiracy theory is probably dumb, stupid and ridiculous but they're still bad match-ups and I'm surprised the lads accepted them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I don't think he said/meant that.

• Advertisement

For the record - I'm aware of how fights get made lol.

I meant the timing of the fight announcements hours later. It was a case of Artem on social media doing videos looking for Doo and hours later they drop the Andre Fili announcement.

Edit - You know I rate Gunni so highly, and Artem did well against Cub. You know what I meant I hope.

Ward is an absolute bum he's getting starched no matter who he fights in the UFC, Philips is like a younger version of Ward few regional knockouts and Bamma wins, will be absolutely wrecked by anyone in the UFC, Artem had a tough 5 round fight so no matter what he saying on social media hes not getting matched up for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The only two fighters/matchups you mentioned were Gunni and Artem. Before saying "bums not up to UFC level", in the next paragraph. It struck me as odd.

Even even when I flagged it, you lumped Artem in with Charlie and the Welsh fella.

Artem is not top 10, but that doesn't mean he's not UFC standard. But Ward is not up to scratch imo.

I'm not saying anything controversial on the face of things, I'm just linking isolated events and pondering are they related.

Many people are saying these are nonsensical/horrible match-ups for Gunnar and Charlie, in particular.

What are the upsides for Gunni or Charlie here? If they both win, they go nowhere. If they both lose, then Gunni slips down below Ponzibbio, Usman, maybe even Saffedine if he beats RDA. If Charlie loses he gets cut.

If Shelby was in a favour-doing mood he wouldn't be offering no-win fights.

Why would the UFC do Ward a favour with a easier match up? his opponent has had 6 fights in 5 years hardly giving him some monster, they are there as filler on the card,

Gunnar is hard to match due to the division being busy, the only real other possibilities were Usman or Magny or maybe Matt Brown at a push, Wonderboy wasnt happening so I think they took a main event spot fight that he will be favourite to win and not too far from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just seen the record he lost to Jay Moogan in the amatuers too, the only amatuer loss he had.

califano wrote: »
    Just seen the record he lost to Jay Moogan in the amatuers too, the only amatuer loss he had.

Cowley? Yeah he's 0-1 as pro and 3-1 as amateur.

His 3 amateur wins were IMMAF events against relative beginners.

Not going to kick the guy while he's down so I hope he goes back to the gym and works on his jiujitsu.

Think he was kicked out the immafs over his muay thai credentials, will get another fight on the bamma dublin card and same thing will happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Artem publicly appeals for Doo Ho Choi, hours later they hand Doo Ho Choi a Team Alpha Male reject.

Yeah I believe there might be something in the crap I'm posting.

What about Artem scandalously getting his fight against Swanson in the first place?! Completely unmerited and the fact he did reasonably well and better than expected doesn't change that.

You're making a big issue out of the rankings. They wanted Wonderboy for Gunni? So ****. Thompson has just fought twice for the title in two close scraps. Gunni is ranked 9th. They don't need any ulterior motives not to make that fight.

• Advertisement

Cody refused to fly to the big press conference today, history would say he gets pulled from the card #ufc200 #wonthappen

https://twitter.com/Cody_Nolove/status/863124745935405056

https://twitter.com/Cody_Nolove/status/863126574882738176

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement