Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Danis is a very good grappler. His darce is one of the best. I've no idea how not beating shields suddenly means he's shïte. I think the whole "couldn't even beat shields" thing (not necessarily on here) is dismissive of Shields' ability.
    Shields is solid grappler in his own right. He was a black belt before Dillion took his first lesson. ADCC medalist as a purple belt in 2005 where he beat some legit black phenoms.

Sure, Danis is a bit douchey on social media, Jake threw some coffee in the heat of the moment, Conor threw some monster. That doesn't make any of the bad people imo. I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion for the sake of picking a side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Wonderfullife and EagererBeaver, I suggest the two of you just dont get into discussions with each other if you cant keep it civil. Have a proper discussion without taking offence when someone doesnt agree with your opinion, or likewise nit picking and making smart arse comments when someone does have one. Its getting very tiresome and one of you is as bad as the other and I am not going to keep giving you warnings. If you can't keep it civil then the simple solution is to ban you both for a week, then two weeks etc until it sinks in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

martyos121 wrote: »
    Christ. That's one messed up post for so many reasons, but I'll just focus on you thinking for some reason that Jake Shields isn't an asshole.

Good luck with that one, because I didn't, not once, claim he wasn't an asshole. I disputed the suggestion that he went out of his way to throw scalding hot coffee at women.

I don't understand why it has to be a bad guy/good guy scenario. It's not pro wrestling with a face vs. heel angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Also, fun fact, Jake Shields and the Diaz boys were aiming their projectiles at women not at Conor, whereas Conor aimed his Monster cans and Water Bottles at the Diaz gang.

What is the basis of this fun fact? While Jake Shields may throw like a woman but I would love to see evidence there is he was aiming it specifically at women and not just generally at the SBG group. He clearly says here that he was aiming for Danis, which he either was or it's a pathetic cover up because his throw was so bad and he failed miserably to hit McGregor.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/4/30/15493894/jake-shields-interview-throw-coffee-ufc-202-presser-brawl-target-dillon-danis-submission-underground

Lets be clear, there is no doubt he is a twat but considering how bad he throws I very much doubt he was aiming specifically for women in a group of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I honestly don't know what's worse, throwing the coffee or trying to pick up a woman's laptop (either to throw or steal, I'm guessing throw). The look she gave him was gas after she shut him down. Guy's an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Pair of them are clowns can we not all agree and move on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Christ lads there's more entertaining fights in here than on an average FS1 card

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

scrubs.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mellor wrote: »
    No doubt the internet is rejoicing at the headline (Shields Beats Danis)
    But if you actually watch it, or are familar with ruleset. It's essentially a draw.

How many of the fights actually have a proper winner? From the last event 3 out of 4 went to 'escape time', is that common?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How many of the fights actually have a proper winner? From the last event 3 out of 4 went to 'escape time', is that common?

In the proper EBI tournies there's a bonus for finishes in regulation time so OT is less common.

But leaving that aside, I prefer EBI rules, including OT, to any other format because it's more realistic and better representative of a real fight.

IBJJF is basically nonsense thesedays with people developing their entire game to score points rather than trying to actually get submissions, and while naga and adcc rules are better they still have the flaw of allowing you to develop a game that focuses on outscoring the other person rather than trying to finish.

In EBI OT rounds you start with either a backtake, hooks in and seat belt or in spiderweb guard, so you're half way to a finish already, people escaping those positions are getting out of real danger. It's a lot better than scoring a point for passing guard but never threatening a sub.

At the SUG events, there have been 9 finished out of 19 matches.
    At EBI, across the first 6 events has 75% finish rate.
    The most recent was 66% (10 out of 15).
    But also, there are still finishes during the OT period too, so the amount of submissions you see are higher again.
    But leaving that aside, I prefer EBI rules, including OT, to any other format because it's more realistic and better representative of a real fight.

IBJJF is basically nonsense thesedays with people developing their entire game to score points rather than trying to actually get submissions, and while naga and adcc rules are better they still have the flaw of allowing you to develop a game that focuses on outscoring the other person rather than trying to finish.

In EBI OT rounds you start with either a backtake, hooks in and seat belt or in spiderweb guard, so you're half way to a finish already, people escaping those positions are getting out of real danger. It's a lot better than scoring a point for passing guard but never threatening a sub.
    I agree about IBJJF being almost a different sport. At the highest levels you have to play the game.

Sub only is obviously more realistic, but I'm not convinced that the EBI overtime is better than regular sub only rules. I competed under that rule at a while back, and I found that towards the final minutes, people just held tried to shut up shop and get to OT. I did it myself tbh. Was pinned on the bottom, and instead of wasting energy trying to excape, I just defended the position. Got to OT and choked him from the back.

The whole giving up the back part is unrealistic. Took at Chad Mendes vrs Jff Glovers. They both got the RNC finish during OT, but Chad got his squeeze on much quicker. But in a no time limit match, I don't Chad ever takes Glover's back.

Every rule set except Sub only;No Time Limit has some flaws imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Anyone see Ben Davis fight in malta recently?? Where the ref stood by and let Ben pound his opponent into bits until Ben stopped punching and called the fight over himself?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUEI1uEhFfq/?taken-by=ben_davis_mma

You'd have to question what kind of ****ing moron is the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The opponent was actually tapping out due to the strikes when Ben was talking to the ref. Ref missed that as well. Terrible reffing all around. Ideally a ref should be a fighter or an ex fighter if possible.

Ben is a class act and was a very exciting fighter in the earlier days of MMA in Ireland. Good to see him back, he was always great fighter with incredible speed and power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Great interview. Great insights into the fight. Masvidal gone up ten-fold in my estimation.

Theres the 2nd bit wonder, Black can be a bit cheesey but hes as genuine as it comes one of my favourite people in mma absolutely lives fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Gamebred wrote: »

Theres the 2nd bit wonder, Black can be a bit cheesey but hes as genuine as it comes one of my favourite people in mma absolutely lives fighting.

Haven't watched the above but Robin Black has an obsession with fighting like no one I've ever seen before. Everything he says always comes back to fighting.

War Eddie! Too right Dustin wanted out.

https://twitter.com/Ealvarezfight/status/864583168074153984

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Gamebred wrote: »

Really enjoyed these, Jorge is a sound bloke and Robin breaths fighting. Can't wait for more

Cross post from the BJJ thread. But feel there'd be some interested here too.

xdwuwifnrwxy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote:

I'm more of a MMA fan than a BJJ fan, but watched one of the Eddie bravo invitationals on fight pass and enjoyed it.
    I know a bit about danis, mainly through his association with McGregors camp the last while.
    Don't know anything about this tonon fellow though, would he be considered good or very good compared to danis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭cletus

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'm more of a MMA fan than a BJJ fan, but watched one of the Eddie bravo invitationals on fight pass and enjoyed it.
    I know a bit about danis, mainly through his association with McGregors camp the last while.
    Don't know anything about this tonon fellow though, would he be considered good or very good compared to danis?

I'd say odds on favourite to win. Tonan is an outstanding grappler, although probably not at that absolutely elite level yet

Tonon tapped him before and left him severely injured, he's one of the best on the planet but no unbeatable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭MontoAddict

Mellor wrote: »

xdwuwifnrwxy.jpg

Wait a minute, I get banned for stating I hate a martial art, but you're permitted to spam the forum with this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wait a minute, I get banned for stating I hate a martial art, but you're permitted to spam the forum with this crap?

What the hell are you on about?

It's pertinent to the forum, Danis is transitioning to MMA already, and Tonon will in the near future.

They are the 2 top young BJJ players at the minute, which if you haven't noticed is a fundamental of MMA

It's on the front page of /r/MMA and Sherdog so obviously the MMA community are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Dude relax dont come back looking for a row.

dont get bitter get better.

Danis is a dick and talented and from what i remember members here saying and podcasts/interviews/etc Tonan could realyl **** up our legs/knees... is that correct ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dillon Danis is signed to Bellator MMA. He's a professional MMA fighter competing in a BJJ match, no different to Jon Jones v Dan Hendo.

I get pains in my legs just from watching Tonon fight, he's an animal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭MontoAddict

Dillon Danis is signed to Bellator MMA. He's a professional MMA fighter competing in a BJJ match, no different to Jon Jones v Dan Hendo.

There is a specific, pertinent forum where that stupid, fight-ruining "martial art" can be discussed freely. This forum is surely about only mma?

There's a reason BJJ practitioners call themselves "players" and not "fighters". LOL

• Advertisement

People still feeding the troll I see...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement