Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

dulux99 wrote: »
    Yeah and depending which way you want to look Borg has missed weight in 2 of his last 4 fights, and of those 4, the two in which he made weight, he's only 1-1. 

Fair enough if your worry is Dillashaw can't make the weight, but I'd have to think TJ would have that well sussed before signing the contract. You can't tell me that as a fan of the sport you'd be more excited to see DJ vs Borg instead of DJ vs Dillashaw.

I've already said I'm not interested in the Borg fight either but I'd wait an extra month or two for DJ vs JoBe and Dillashaw vs Garbrandt every day of the week. Dillashaw vs Garbrandt is a fight that needs to happen and will have more fans interested than DJ vs Dillashaw by a long shot

It's a sad sign of the times that inferior quality fights are on the table but that's the UFC. No long term game plan, just looking for short term gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah and depending which way you want to look Borg has missed weight in 2 of his last 4 fights, and of those 4, the two in which he made weight, he's only 1-1. 

Fair enough if your worry is Dillashaw can't make the weight, but I'd have to think TJ would have that well sussed before signing the contract. You can't tell me that as a fan of the sport you'd be more excited to see DJ vs Borg instead of DJ vs Dillashaw.

I've already said I'm not interested in the Borg fight either but I'd wait an extra month or two for DJ vs JoBe and Dillashaw vs Garbrandt every day of the week.  Dillashaw vs Garbrandt is a fight that needs to happen and will have more fans interested than DJ vs Dillashaw by a long shot

It's a sad sign of the times that inferior quality fights are on the table but that's the UFC. No long term game plan, just looking for short term gains.
    That's fair enough, being  honest I would much prefer Garbrandt vs Dillashaw too. I suppose it's my frustration with DJ that keeps boiling over, I keep trying my hardest to warm to the guy, but the least I expect from my combat sports athletes is to want to be in big fights, and it just looks to me like DJ has no interest at all in big fights. When McGregor took the UFC by storm it was by kicking down the door and calling out everyone who there was to call out.

That's fair enough, being  honest I would much prefer Garbrandt vs Dillashaw too. I suppose it's my frustration with DJ that keeps boiling over, I keep trying my hardest to warm to the guy, but the least I expect from my combat sports athletes is to want to be in big fights, and it just looks to me like DJ has no interest at all in big fights. When McGregor took the UFC by storm it was by kicking down the door and calling out everyone who there was to call out.

DJ and Conor are both very similar in that they are just being themselves. DJ is never going to call out big names, get a million PPVs or take the world by storm in his current position. He's the p4p#1 so he doesnt need to call anyone out. There's enough Conor wannabes already, give me a few more DJs, Gunnars and Maias that just get on with it without all the WWE style drama

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If DJ is turning down fights in his own weight-class (in which he is completely dominant & seemingly without peer) for whatever reason, he has to be discounted from pound-for-pound lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭cletus

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    If DJ is turning down fights in his own weight-class (in which he is completely dominant & seemingly without peer) for whatever reason, he has to be discounted from pound-for-pound lists.

I didn't know that was one of the rules. It puts John Jones out too. Fedor as well, if memory serves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

TJ wont make 125 imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dashoonage wrote: »

Hes looked shocking in his last few fights. Best to hang them gloves up before he does serious damage to his health (if he hasn't already).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

dashoonage wrote: »

no real loss, at least bellators last few signing actually have a future and are in a good position to do well, big country is a non entity.

I`d say hes a has been, but actually hes a never was been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

jcd5971 wrote: »

I`d say hes a has been, but actually hes a never was been

A bit harsh maybe??

He was a fan favourite and he'll be remembered for a long time. That's hardly the mark of a "never was".

He was never going to worry any of the upper echelons of the division too much but he has a few decent scalps to be fair to him. Not to mention some devastating KO finishes.

At his best he was very entertaining to watch.

He was/is some character, most people couldnt believe he was a fighter with the belly on him, took some epic shots on the chin over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Looking forward to him KO'ing Kongo again.
    Contrast in body types led to a few laughs when I picked Big Country while watching the last one with my casual friends.

John_D80 wrote: »
    A bit harsh maybe??

He was a fan favourite and he'll be remembered for a long time. That's hardly the mark of a "never was".

He was never going to worry any of the upper echelons of the division too much but he has a few decent scalps to be fair to him. Not to mention some devastating KO finishes.

At his best he was very entertaining to watch.

you could say its a bit harsh, personally i dont think so though while he had a few entertaining fights, he was never even a gatekeeper he was just kind of there.

put it this way i dont see the ufc losing a lot of sleep over this particular signing.

i suppose with some of the signings bellator have made lately, i was kind of hoping they were moving away from the freakshow pensioner has been fights, and slowly try and build an actual alternative to ufc, I see this as a big step backward in that regard.

Ngannou vs jds looking to be booked for the august ppv according to ariel helwani

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ricero wrote: »
    Ngannou vs jds looking to be booked for the august ppv according to ariel helwani

Surprised JDS turning around that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'd nearly make the argument that nobody in the UFC has taken as much punishment as JDS. Diego Sanchez springs to mind but he wasn't fighting the guys like Velasquez and Miocic. Sad to say but he's probably already done so much irreversible brain damage to himself that he's going to be in a lot of trouble when he's older. He's too tough for his own good

• Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ricero wrote: »

Jesus..I do not want to see JDS fight again, never mind fighting Ngannou :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Struve vs Volkov headlines the Rotterdam event.

Utter ****e, and the worst thing about it is that I will probably still go :pac:

And I thought glasgow was bad, can only imagine what the undercard to that muck will be, wont be attending another europe event anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Dan hardy has entered the usada testing pool.... Be jaysys

Pathetic stuff from her

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Gamebred wrote:
    What a joker this one is.

What's her reason/excuse for not fighting her?

This division is off to a poor start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

This division is off to a poor start

Id imagine its something to do with cyborgs spotty record when it comes to ped's, if so, shes dead right imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Depp wrote: »
    Id imagine its something to do with cyborgs spotty record when it comes to ped's, if so, shes dead right imo!

Really?

I think its a smart move health wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Because she will lose. It's as sure as anything and she knows it. She can use every bullshjt excuse there is, but she knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Really?

I think its a smart move health wise.

Could be genius.
    Is anybody else even in the division right now?
    Holm is already gone back to 135lb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Crazy. A division with only 1 fighter, and shes turning it down haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement