Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Absolutely smashing Michael Johnson shouldn't be discounted.

Johnson is very far from being a top level guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Johnson is very far from being a top level guy.
    People said similar when McGregor beat Barao and Porrier. And while it's all probably true. A fighter isn't limited by those he beats. If Khabib scraped by Johnson it'd be telling. But the fact that it was so dominant means he could be any number of levels above.

His grappling is legit. But, I think Tony can deal with it. I'd probably give Tony the edge - I just want it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamebred wrote: »
    Crap is harsh, its got the look of a ok fox card about it, not sure I'd be happy 65 dollars for it on ppv as good as the main fight is.

I suppose it's up to the individual whose watching it. To Me personally, every single fight except the main event is rubbish.
    Except for maybe the Vitor fight. Purely cause I'm a fan for years. But the 2 guys shouidve retired long ago

I'm expecting Paulo Borrachinha to bring fireworks (fight before Vitor).
    Then I'll expect him to pop post fight for all the anabolics

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Two tickets picked up for UFC Glasgow in July. Anyone else heading over ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Mellor wrote: »
    People said similar when McGregor beat Barao and Porrier. And while it's all probably true. A fighter isn't limited by those he beats. If Khabib scraped by Johnson it'd be telling. But the fact that it was so dominant means he could be any number of levels above.

His grappling is legit. But, I think Tony can deal with it. I'd probably give Tony the edge - I just want it to happen.

I must have missed the Barao fight :)

akelly02 wrote: »
    [
    I must have missed the Barao fight :)
    Lasted 3 seconds. Blink and you miss it stuff. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DBKr1coUAAMdMCG.jpg:large

214 is shaping up nicely especially if the rumored Rockhold v Mousassi fight happens

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jon Jones posted his new t-shirt you can buy, guy is a trollin' genius :pac:

http://jonnybones.com/products/enjoy-jonny-bones-tee/

jonnyenjoyred.png?resize=600%2C600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

He's still a complete prick but I like Jon Jones more when he's not pretending to be a nice person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Dana sounds seriously p1ssed with Mighty Mouse...

Basically "I make the fights around here, not you, you will be fighting TJ".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dana confirmed that cyborg will be fighting at ufc 214

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Tito already said its not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Tito already said its not going to happen.

Cause he'd lose that's why!

Sheesh.

This won't end well for Mighty Mouse. He just released a long statement through Dana's favourite journalist to call Dana a bully and reveal lots of private stuff.

He's alleging Dana threatened to shut down the whole Flyweight Division if he refuses to fight TJ and promised he'll never get any PPV's EVER if he won't take the fight.

He's also alleging Sean Shelby said that he's not a draw, he's too small to be a draw and the UFC have no interested in wasting money trying to make him a draw.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/5/15739394/demetrious-johnson-fires-back-ufcs-mistreatment-and-bullying-has-finally-forced-me-to-speak-out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well as much as I love Mighty Mouse, Sean Shelby is 100% correct if he did say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dimwit

Crazy. When you allege bullying against a Boss in any walk of life it sets you on a one-way path to the exit doors or a court-room.

This can't end well for him.

Sure, he's a dominant champion but in financial terms he's expendable from the UFC's point of view. He's never even broken 200k in PPV sales which is incredible to think about. He owns the 3 lowest PPV events for a champion.

Worst move of all was releasing it through Ariel. It was only this past week that Dana called Ariel a "weasel" 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Pretty surprised at the lack of sympathy for DJ here. That seemed like a very reasoned statement. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Defo fair play to him. Dana is a bully. Good he got called out by a champ

The lack of sympathy comes from the fact just 2 weeks ago he was complaining that he wanted bigger money fights.

Dana comes to him with the TJ fight, which everyone agrees will sell more than against Borg, and DJ turns it down.

Bottom line DJ knows TJ will likely be favourite to beat him. He also knows Borg hasn't a hope in hell of beating him.

He wants the easier fight and that's fine but you can't moan about wanting bigger money fights and then turn them down when offered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If it's true that the UFC wouldn't give him the Cody fight as it wouldn't sell but then wanted him to take the TJ fight he's right to be pissed off.

I dunno why the UFC said that as they could have said that the Cody fight didn't make sense at the time as he had the TJ fight. They could have said that in time that could be a good fight for both of them. Saying it wouldn't sell is a bit silly.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If it's true that the UFC wouldn't give him the Cody fight as it wouldn't sell but then wanted him to take the TJ fight he's right to be pissed off.

I dunno why the UFC said that as they could have said that the Cody fight didn't make sense at the time as he had the TJ fight. They could have said that in time that could be a good fight for both of them. Saying it wouldn't sell is a bit silly.

Truth is neither fight will sell that good. Maybe with a good undercard you could see DJ v TJ or DJ v Cody doing maybe 350k but in perspective neither fight will sell much.

Cody is injured, the UFC need decent fights and the Borg fight does nothing. It's all about margins here. If DJ v Borg sells 160k and DJ v TJ even does 240k, you're still looking at a difference of millions of $'s.

I really don't see how this ends well for Mighty Mouse. He has absolutely no leverage to be coming at his Boss publicly like this and Dana does hold grudges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The only fight that will sell would be cody dj after cody has a few defenses even then the card would have to good. Dj tj is a stupid fight. Not non champion coming down to fight one of the best champions ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Crazy. When you allege bullying against a Boss in any walk of life it sets you on a one-way path to the exit doors or a court-room.

This can't end well for him.

/quote]

If he feels he is being bulied whether it wont end well or its a one way path out the door he is right to stand up for himself and expose it.

As for his claims - i would presume (hope) he has proof as it would be strange to make a claim like that without it.

I have to say I have very little sympathy for DJ, he does nothing to promote himself and comlains that he doesn't get paid enough when he can't sell more than 10 ppvs. DJ keeps saying "UFC should pay their champions" and he complained when CM punk got paid more than him, I dont understand how he get qutie comprehend that you get paid based on what you sell and he sells next to nothing.

Sad truth for him is people dont really care to much about 125 pound men division or maybe they would if there was a more interesting champion. DJ probably to be honest gets paid more than he is worth, he sells like 100k ppvs when he headlines...... He should be jumping at this TJ fight in the hope that this bolsters his career a bit and makes him more interesting to the general public. I know mma purists love DJ but the big money comes from the casual fans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Truth is neither fight will sell that good. Maybe with a good undercard you could see DJ v TJ or DJ v Cody doing maybe 350k but in perspective neither fight will sell much.

Cody is injured, the UFC need decent fights and the Borg fight does nothing. It's all about margins here. If DJ v Borg sells 160k and DJ v TJ even does 240k, you're still looking at a difference of millions of $'s.

I really don't see how this ends well for Mighty Mouse. He has absolutely no leverage to be coming at his Boss publicly like this and Dana does hold grudges.

DJ is 31 in August and has been in the WEC/UFC 7 years now. Maybe he's comfortable enough in himself to just say "F It" lets see what happens.

You probably right with your numbers but the UFC have changed their tune to suit themselves here so its easy to see why he's pissed off.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    DJ is 31 in August and has been in the WEC/UFC 7 years now. Maybe he's comfortable enough in himself to just say "F It" lets see what happens.

You probably right with your numbers but the UFC have changed their tune to suit themselves here so its easy to see why he's pissed off.

I also think Dana has had enough of people trying to dictate who they should fight and turning down fights.

He probably wants to make an example of someone and DJ is the easiest champion to take a stand against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The lack of sympathy comes from the fact just 2 weeks ago he was complaining that he wanted bigger money fights.

Dana comes to him with the TJ fight, which everyone agrees will sell more than against Borg, and DJ turns it down.

Bottom line DJ knows TJ will likely be favourite to beat him. He also knows Borg hasn't a hope in hell of beating him.

He wants the easier fight and that's fine but you can't moan about wanting bigger money fights and then turn them down when offered.

I presume you read the statement. Given what preceded the TJ offer he dead right to tell them to piss off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement