Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sad to see the disregard that one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time is held on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Think the best way to make the fight is bring tj down to 125 if he can make it and give him benavidez/borg or something first as a no.1 contender fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think it's a bit simplistic to say that people aren't interested in watching small guys fight. A more accurate statement would be that the UFC believe this to be the case and have acted accordingly with regard to their matchmaking and the positioning of flyweight bouts on cards.

I think there's a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy going on with the UFC and the flyweight division:
    • They don't believe people are interested in watching the fights in this division.
    • As a result, unless DJ is fighting, any fights in the division are either on early prelims or prelims.
    • Fans who might only ever watch the main cards therefore never get to see any non-DJ flyweight bouts.
    • Since it's a shallow division and he's already beaten all of the top guys (in several cases more than once) anyone who shows any sort of promise gets thrown into a title shot.
    • These don't attract interest since it's DJ versus some nobody who nobody has seen much of.
    • They're inevitably outclassed (by the only fighter in the division who regularly is used to fighting 5 round fights since non of the other fights are ever main/co-main events)
    • The cycle continues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    Sad to see the disregard that one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time is held on here.

It's a pity but predictable, doesn't matter how skilled a fighter you are if your humble and get on with it.

If your not a **** posting bravado spewing trash talker nobody wants to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I dont think any promo will do him wonders hes a 5ft nerd computer geek, I do feel for him with the Dana stuff accepting fights then them trying to switch TJ in ect that stinks you'd expect it from White though, they will probably scrap the division now after that letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

jcd5971 wrote:
    It's a pity but predictable, doesn't matter how skilled a fighter you are if your humble and get on with it.
    jcd5971 wrote:
    If your not a **** posting bravado spewing trash talker nobody wants to know.

Gsp and Anderson Silva were neither of those things and we're huge. He's getting shafted here.

Depp wrote:
    Think the best way to make the fight is bring tj down to 125 if he can make it and give him benavidez/borg or something first as a no.1 contender fight

That would involve being reasonable which doesn't seem to be in Dana and Co.'s playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

If he is such a no draw etc then wtf would the ufc care who he fights next. I can believe the idiots around defending the ufc/dana. If they put half the effort promoting dj as they have trying to put him down...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

From 155lbs down the UFC have at some stage said nobody wants to see small guys fight until they get someone they want to promote or just get lucky, BJ Penn, McGregor and now Garbrandt.

I'm glad DJ called them on their bull****. Sean Shelby and Joe Silva (now gone) have such smackable faces and when you hear how they talk and treat the fighters I hope they get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭cletus

Gamebred wrote: »
    I dont think any promo will do him wonders hes a 5ft nerd computer geek, I do feel for him with the Dana stuff accepting fights then them trying to switch TJ in ect that stinks you'd expect it from White though, they will probably scrap the division now after that letter.

What has the 'computer geek' got to do with not being a draw? By all accounts he draws big numbers when he streams his gameplay (I think that's what he's doing), so if anything that would be another market to go after.

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    What has the 'computer geek' got to do with not being a draw? By all accounts he draws big numbers when he streams his gameplay (I think that's what he's doing), so if anything that would be another market to go after.

Not sure if this is a serious question ill bite anyways, whats being a computer geek got to do with being a draw? the casuals who buy ppv's dont not give a flying **** about him sitting on a camera stream playing x box its all hes known for outside of fighting, he has no personality they cant make him have charisma,

I understand your point of targeting the gaming community but these people are fight fans if there was a market the UFC would've been all over it, the lack of competition is his main problem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭cletus

Not sure if this is a serious question ill bite anyways, whats being a computer geek got to do with being a draw? the casuals who buy ppv's dont not give a flying **** about him sitting on a camera stream playing x box its all hes known for outside of fighting, he has no personality they cant make him have charisma,

I understand your point of targeting the gaming community but these people are fight fans if there was a market the UFC would've been all over it, the lack of competition is his main problem imo.

Right, but sure then you've just gone against your original point. First you said he's a computer geek so no amount of promo would help him. I asked how it would hinder him to be a computer geek, and that it might even help, and now you've said the casual fans don't give a **** about him being a computer geek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Listened to MM on MMA hour, not coming off well at all for me.

In summary only Dana's recent comments "lit a fire under his ass" he's signed contracts no PPV points etc and bent over all this time might be unfair but he signed up to it. He makes a big deal and goes public after getting insulted disrespectful comments.

Makes a deal of TJ making weight when Ray Borg has failed in 2 of his last four fights :D and lost to Justin Scoggins in that time yet holds Dodsons win over Dillashaw 7 years ago as one of the excuses why they shouldn't fight but a few months before that loss he himself had lost to Brad Pickett.

Sergio Pettis a name?? :D only if people are confusing him with his brother, Smolka name dropped too 0-3 in his last few fights...massive b1tch he came off like and obviously wants this record and knows Dillashaw has a massive chance of spoiling that.

Said Ryan Benoit should've got title shot but deemed it silly TUF winner was to jump the queue. Ryan Benoit ffs!! (he was 1-1 in the UFC at the time).
    Beersmith wrote: »
    Dj tj is a stupid fight. Not non champion coming down to fight one of the best champions ever.
    How is it stupid? Lost his title on a close decision to the last person to beat DJ!! Wasn't a problem for Edgar/Florian coming to fight Aldo, Randy and Chuck, Chael and Jones and so on...

What I find funny he's not happy with anyone coming down and skipping borg but hes ok to go with fighting Cody and people getting skipped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

DJ said he doesn't believe in people skipping the line but also said he's willing to fight Cody for the 135lb title in a super-fight.

Hypocrisy.

Surely Cody being champ earns him an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

What I find funny he's not happy with anyone coming down and skipping borg but hes ok to go with fighting Cody and people getting skipped?

Is that not in the context of a champion v champion fight

Surely Cody being champ earns him an exception.

Cody is injured and champ a wet week, plenty of fights for him at Batamweight due to his quick rise, Dom aside he has a win over one of the top 15.

Dillashaw doesn't hold up a division. If he can make weight we'd have DJ seriously tested if he could beat TJ it would easily be his biggest victory. Claiming another mans victory (Dodsons) because you beat him twice was a sad state of affairs tbh.

Dillashaw doesn't hold up a division. If he can make weight we'd have DJ seriously tested if he could beat TJ it would easily be his biggest victory. Claiming another mans victory (Dodsons) because you beat him twice was a sad state of affairs tbh.

To be fair, looking at how he's been treated (and we all know what dana and the gang are like) I don't blame him for turning down TJ.

Is that not in the context of a champion v champion fight

What does that matter?

He's saying on one hand he's trying to uphold rankings and protect his division.

Yet he's fine with skipping the line at 135lbs for a title shot but not ok with anyone else skip the line to fight him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

What does that matter?

He's saying on one hand he's trying to uphold rankings and protect his division.

Yet he's fine with skipping the line at 135lbs for a title shot but not ok with anyone else skip the line to fight him.

Big difference in a champ skipping the line imo and throwing this fight together after cody got injured.

As for Dj, it sounds like hes had enough of being dicked around.. mcgregor called his shots and now other champs are doing the same, trying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Big difference in a champ skipping the line imo and throwing this fight together after cody got injured.

As for Dj, it sounds like hes had enough of being dicked around.. mcgregor called his shots and now other champs are doing the same, trying anyway.

Big difference now is that there are decent alternatives (Bellator), although i'm guessing the Flyweight division over there would be weak as anything, do they even have one?

To be fair, looking at how he's been treated (and we all know what dana and the gang are like) I don't blame him for turning down TJ.

We are all too aware. However he decided to let his situation build new contract signed before Elliott fight and went looking for sympathy in the situation he signed up to when the boss gave him sh1t when speaking to media lately when it was usually praise he's best fighter ever etc last month he said he was on the cusp of GOAT status.

DJ can't label himself the greatest of all time turning down the most inspiring bout in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So much of this discussion a moot point. Does anyone genuinely believe TJ could make 125?!

The UFC obviously dont, they wouldnt insure DJ financially incase TJ missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

Knowing the UFC they'll try make DJ vs TJ for a 135lb interim belt instead :rolleyes:

All this publicity could be a master plan, never seen him talked about as much...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

War Machine Jon Koppaehaver now 35 sentenced over his assault 3 years ago won't be entitled to parole till he's 71.

• Advertisement

Ariel gave me a shout-out 3:56 of todays episode! Just spotted it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement