Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ariel gave me a shout-out 3:56 of todays episode! Just spotted it.

I just went looking... no sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

3:56:08

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Christ, he's gonna be insufferable now :pac::pac:

3:56:05 here, can't embed for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeCv-jL4ASo&t=14183s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ah right, sound. Ariel seems a nice guy.

Ah right, sound. Ariel seems a nice guy.

Yep I've given some suggestions in the last few months that he listened to as well which was cool. I suggested changing the background set on the MMA Beat and they did it. Also suggested extending the NY Rick segments.

Not saying it was all me but it was cool he even humoured me. There was an annoying shiny reflection on the background of the MMA Beat set that they changed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

How's the health Wonder any sign of taking up some martial arts?

Gamebred wrote: »
    How's the health Wonder any sign of taking up some martial arts?

I'm thinking I'll give BJJ a try in 2018, I've anxiety that I won't *be able* to do it physically without pain but I suppose I won't know until I try. I'll have to try get on top of the mental health issues first and then see what happens.

Off topic rant - I love this country but being on waiting lists is story of my life. 2 years now waiting on physio. Last appointment at psychologists he didn't even turn up and they give me a re-appointment for 6 weeks.

Anyway, what happened to Dillon and Mackenzie Dern at the Mundials they both got beaten in 1st Round? Their minds focused on MMA or just competition standards so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Gsp and Anderson Silva were neither of those things and we're huge. He's getting shafted here.

True, but I was talking about the culture that's there at the moment.

I also agree he's getting shafted and not appreciated at all

Yep I've given some suggestions in the last few months that he listened to as well which was cool. I suggested changing the background set on the MMA Beat and they did it. Also suggested extending the NY Rick segments.

Not saying it was all me but it was cool he even humoured me. There was an annoying shiny reflection on the background of the MMA Beat set that they changed.

I take it you are danny then :pac:

If you have someone like Ariel taking your opinion into account you know you are doing something right, fair play lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anyway, what happened to Dillon and Mackenzie Dern at the Mundials they both got beaten in 1st Round? Their minds focused on MMA or just competition standards so high?
    Just high standard really. Ridiculously tough division for Danis. He lost to "Hulk"
    Barbosa. Andre Galvao took the gold in a division of beasts.

Mackenzie lost in the open weight (vrs a super-heavyweight). She didn't fight in her division. Guessing either injured in open or not making weight.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

how so?

Neck of him calling DJ a rat, save your pro sbg stance thats incoming calling DJ a ''rat'' is indefensible and childish, hes also been calling out Aldo today too many shots he took off Cub it appears.

While I wouldn't use the same sentiment as Artem, I understand where he is coming from.

When I read the statement from MM I could not help but think it was a mistake and that he was biting the hand that feeds him.

While I wouldn't use the same sentiment as Artem, I understand where he is coming from.

When I read the statement from MM I could not help but think it was a mistake and that he was biting the hand that feeds him.

Ah come Dana threatened to shut down the division if he didnt fight TJ that is disgraceful.

Outside of MM is likely is not a money making division. I cannot think of many marketable fights in that division personally that do not have MM involved.

Granted I do not watch anywhere as much UFC as I used to but I would struggle to name fighters in that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ah come Dana threatened to shut down the division if he didnt fight TJ that is disgraceful.

I'll pull the division. Ok I'm sure your 145 pound womens division with a champ who won't fight will do the money

I doubt Dana would of followed through and something likely said in the heat of the moment.

But its not a stretch to think that less marketable divisions might be pulled in the future.

Outside of MM is likely is not a money making division. I cannot think of many marketable fights in that division personally that do not have MM involved.

Granted I do not watch anywhere as much UFC as I used to but I would struggle to name fighters in that division.

Did anybody care about 145 while Aldo was unbeatable? not sure it was too popular with casuals either till a certain somebody came along, you dont threaten one of the best fighters ever that you'll close a division because he wont take a fight Dana wants (asking him to train for TJ+Borg incase TJ misses weight, going public with it hardly makes him a rat as Artem says.

I would be of a older school opinion that you should be ready to fight no matter who the opponent is. Personally I was much more excited to hear about the TJ fight than the Borg fight. MM was likely going to go in there and tool Borg and never move out of that division. The TJ fight added an unknown element into the divison and makes it exciting for fans.

Personally I think MM was worried he was might miss out on his title defence record. Mistakenly thinking that would garner him more leeway in negotiations rather than keeping your employer who pays you happy.

What if Borg was injured what then? Do you cancel because you have not prepped for the replacement fighter?

Dana can do whatever he wants as he is the present on the company. Dana is MM's boss. If you were to not do what your boss wanted you to do you would likely be having serious conversations with your employer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Personally I think MM was worried he was might miss out on his title defence record. Mistakenly thinking that would garner him more leeway in negotiations rather than keeping your employer who pays you happy.

What if Borg was injured what then? Do you cancel because you have not prepped for the replacement fighter?

Dana can do whatever he wants as he is the present on the company. Dana is MM's boss. If you were to not do what your boss wanted you to do you would likely be having serious conversations with your employer as well.

If you look at the details of how the TJ offer came about and the conditions attached it's fairly obvious why DJ declined it and it doesn't look like it has anything to do with missing out on his defense record. He wanted the Cody fight which is no easy fight.

The whole employer/employee analogy doesn't really work here. It's not a normal situation. These guys are getting into an octagon to fight some serious high level fighters. They told him to fight Borg. He reluctantly accepted even though he wanted Cody. Then they wanted to drop Borg and have him fight TJ (who has never made that weight), oh and just incase TJ doesn't make weight, also prep for Borg. Joke of a situation and typical Dana and co.

If you look at the details of how the TJ offer came about and the conditions attached it's fairly obvious why DJ declined it and it doesn't look like it has anything to do with missing out on his defense record. He wanted the Cody fight which is no easy fight.

The whole employer/employee analogy doesn't really work here. It's not a normal situation. These guys are getting into an octagon to fight some serious high level fighters. They told him to fight Borg. He reluctantly accepted even though he wanted Cody. Then they wanted to drop Borg and have him fight TJ (who has never made that weight), oh and just incase TJ doesn't make weight, also prep for Borg. Joke of a situation and typical Dana and co.

exactly and then you have likes of Artem calling him a ''rat'' for life for talking to the media, moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

exactly and then you have likes of Artem calling him a ''rat'' for life for talking to the media, moron.

Like you said, a few too many knocks to the head from Cub. I don't get his angle on it. I'd understand if it was some guy in his division and he was trying to create a beef but what business has he attacking DJ on twitter. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cody never made 125 either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Cody never made 125 either

Borg missed weight 2 out of his last 4 fights also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Also its not a normal employee employer situation. The ufc are his promotor. They have failed imo to promote him adequately. They are treating him like **** tbf. He was the ultimate company man. Fights very regularly. He just didn't like this situation and the way he was threatened. That's bullying. He would have taken the fight with assurances about missed weight too so he said.

The TJ fight would arguably the be the biggest of MM's career. He wants to me marketed more, and get PPV.

The he turns down the most marketable fight offered to him. The fight would get him far move attention than the Borg fight. It was a bad call from him to turn it down in my opinion, then to go public about your grievances with your employers.

The TJ fight would arguably the be the biggest of MM's career. He wants to me marketed more, and get PPV.

The he turns down the most marketable fight offered to him. The fight would get him far move attention than the Borg fight. It was a bad call from him to turn it down in my opinion, then to go public about your grievances with your employers.

So you think he should have a training camp and prepare for Borg too incase TJ fails to make weight? or prepare for TJ and no earn a penny if he misses weight (has never made 125) he said he'd take the fight id he was insured financially but the ufc declined so they must'nt be too confident in him making the weight, let TJ take a fight prove he can make weight and then fight DJ, hes only a contender at 135lb hes not some superstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What if Borg misses weight again? Id love if thiis went ahead and TJ makes it and Borg doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

As others have said his reason for turning down the fight isn't as straight forward as he just doesn't want to fight TJ. When you look at the reasons he gave, he was seriously messed about by the UFC, it makes perfect sense him turning it down.

Remember he wanted to fight Cody long before this TJ situation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement