Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

CatFromHue wrote: »
    As others have said his reason for turning down the fight isn't as straight forward as he just doesn't want to fight TJ. When you look at the reasons he gave, he was seriously messed about by the UFC, it makes perfect sense him turning it down.

Remember he wanted to fight Cody long before this TJ situation

That's where I have a problem with Mighty Mouse's comments.

He's saying:

1. He wants to fight Borg because he doesn't believe it's fair for TJ to skip the line.

and

2. He would fight Cody at 135lbs and skip that line.

Effectively, if it suits him he's in favour of skipping lines AND if he's going to fight Cody it'll be not his belt or record on the line.

Very hypocritical imo. He's either against line-skipping or he's in favour of it.

I'd have much preferred DJ to be honest and say "Listen I want the easier fight to break the record".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This whole TJ fight would get him PPV money is complete bull****. TJ sells zip just like MM. Them fighting isn't all of a sudden going to do 300k/400k/500k PPV so he's not going to be getting much PPV as you need to get over a threshold for it even to start. They probably wouldn't even hit that.

TJ's two PPV headlining events

UFC 173 - 215k
    UFC 177 - 125k

It's not going to get the casual fans who bump up PPV numbers interested. We'd love it but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Remember he wanted to fight Cody long before this TJ situation

Cody was the fight he wanted apparently but that was never realistically on the table. Cody won title in December, TUF announced in January with the coaches fighting, with MM fighting in April just gone bit of an exaggeration to say he wanted that fight for a long time me thinks.

When TJ was champ he defended with an opponent change 24 hours before fight. Not saying it's ideal but he did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Who says it has to be the main event? Have it co main on a tacked card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

TJ and MM separately are not big draw. Thats why putting them together is a good call, its a super fight and could be marketed as such. It would be good for both their careers and get much more attention than either of them fighting separately.

Its a good fight for the UFC and both fighters. Doesn't really matter how it came about. Same weight, two arms and legs like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's where I have a problem with Mighty Mouse's comments.

He's saying:

1. He wants to fight Borg because he doesn't believe it's fair for TJ to skip the line.

and

2. He would fight Cody at 135lbs and skip that line.

Effectively, if it suits him he's in favour of skipping lines AND if he's going to fight Cody it'll be not his belt or record on the line.

Very hypocritical imo. He's either against line-skipping or he's in favour of it.

I'd have much preferred DJ to be honest and say "Listen I want the easier fight to break the record".

Super fights are between champs, yeah?

So TJ not being the champ doesn't make it a super fight. I would think that Champs get much more lee way to move division. Say when Cerrone moved up after losing to RDA he didn't move straight up against the top guys.

If only TJ had an interim belt :pac:

Fromvert wrote: »
    This whole TJ fight would get him PPV money is complete bull****. TJ sells zip just like MM. Them fighting isn't all of a sudden going to do 300k/400k/500k PPV so he's not going to be getting much PPV as you need to get over a threshold for it even to start. They probably wouldn't even hit that.

TJ's two PPV headlining events

UFC 173 - 215k
    UFC 177 - 125k

It's not going to get the casual fans who bump up PPV numbers interested. We'd love it but that's it.

Very unfair these cards were massively watered down. 2 cards fell to bits and the batamweight title wasn't meant to headline either in a very rough period for the UFC; promotion for UFC 177 wasn't helped either due to it's preceding numbered event being canned altogether.

UFC 173 he wasn't even the scheduled opponent for Barao
    UFC 177 Barao was his scheduled opponent

UFC 174 that had no major changes and headlined by MM in between those did 115k

The fight was to be offered to serve as the dance partner to Jones/DC anyway not headline outright; it's a certainty it would be his biggest payday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Super fights are between champs, yeah?

So TJ not being the champ doesn't make it a super fight. I would think that Champs get much more lee way to move division. Say when Cerrone moved up after losing to RDA he didn't move straight up against the top guys.

If only TJ had an interim belt :pac:

Ha yeah and they hand those interim belts out like sweets these days!

My point was more if it's a matter of principle against skipping the line, then it shouldn't matter if it's going up or going down in weight.

The reality is Mighty Mouse only has a problem if it's a tougher competitor coming down in weight to skip the line. He has no problem going up in weight and skipping those lines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would make exceptions for the Champ in each division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I would too. If everyone wants MM to move up to 135 who else would he fight but the champ. You don't get many current champs that want to move up in weight and fight the best so why not? I get that he would be skipping but surely his cv over the last 5 or so years affords him this special treatment just once.

• Advertisement

I'd be with it for MM how could you not?? case to be made in other divs perhaps

Everyone is pushing the boat out a little...

Cody just champ hasn't fought 13 of top 15 in the silly rankings.

Bisping to fight DC or Woodley ffs no! (bad enough they made exception for GSP)

BJ PENN classics on BT sports one now

Anyone setting up a thread for this weekend's card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What time does it start at ?

ricero wrote:

Not sure if that's a terrible attempt at being funny, but prelims 1am main card 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

ricero wrote: »

Great work :):)

Not sure if that's a terrible attempt at being funny, but prelims 1am main card 3am.

No attempt just asking sir. Why dont you set it up ?

ricero wrote:
    No attempt just asking sir. Why dont you set it up ?

Seen many people get hassle for setting up threads because they're not Paully. I couldn't make a decent one on my phone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Paully is on sabbatical. Those days are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

take it easy on me :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057750694

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Goldie & Mauro Ranello have signed with bellator.

ASOT wrote: »

Very good il enjoy listening to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Jon Jones mother died, strong chance his fight with Cormier will be cancelled again im guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

ASOT wrote: »

They're hardly going to be a pairing if they're both play by play guys are they?

Gamebred wrote: »
    Jon Jones mother died, strong chance his fight with Cormier will be cancelled again im guessing.

No chance. Awful thing to happen but plenty of time for him to focus on the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    They're hardly going to be a pairing if they're both play by play guys are they?

Both down for the new york card anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

ricero wrote: »
    No chance. Awful thing to happen but plenty of time for him to focus on the fight

Wouldnt say no chance now, can effect different people in different ways no matter how big a star they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Does anyone know is the new scoring system being used in UFC Singapore this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wouldnt say no chance now, can effect different people in different ways no matter how big a star they are.

That's true. I remember back in the day, Michael and ralf Schumacher lost their mother. The very next day they raced, and finished 1st and 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

this is great news, i love goldie hope it works out well for him, actually might watch a few shows now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement