Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Former UFC fighter Tim Hague declared brain dead in hospital after being knocked out in a boxing match in Canada.

Horrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Never liked Matt Hughes always found him an arrogant prick. And looks like I was right.

Do I wish him ill in his recovery or am I happy this happened to him.. No.

But I don't really wish him well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Never liked Matt Hughes always found him an arrogant prick. And looks like I was right.

Do I wish him ill in his recovery or am I happy this happened to him.. No.

But I don't really wish him well either.

Jesus Christ like... time and a place

I think a lot of fighters - professional athletes in general maybe - find themselves out of work at 35-40 and struggle with boredom/depression.

Obviously some get into training, coaching, commentating but i'll wager a lot of the ones who don't turn to drink, are at home all day arguing with the missus etc. Maybe on pain meds for injuries. Onset of CTE (we know it caused some footballers to get suicidal or worse).

There's probably a lot of early guys going through tough times. Don Frye always strikes me as a huge alcoholic. I notice the UFC have summits to try and educate fighters and help them transition to a post-fight career but this stuff came too late for the early generation.

I hope Hughes gets well anyway.

I think a lot of fighters - professional athletes in general maybe - find themselves out of work at 35-40 and struggle with boredom/depression.

Ya man, it's pro sports in general.

A big onus should always fall onto their former employers to help guide them while they are there for their future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Bisping said on his podcast that he had it on good authority that Chuck and Matt were making $1 million a year in their ambassador positions. Now, I'm not saying they did nothing for a whole year but I can't imagine many easier jobs than that for a million bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya man, it's pro sports in general.

A big onus should always fall onto their former employers to help guide them while they are there for their future.

not really, alot of american wrestlers are college grads and have degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

callaway92 wrote:
    Jesus Christ like... time and a place

It was a post in relation to the man, a few other posters commented that he was a prick/horrible person and I'd tend to agree.

A person is a summation of their lives deeds,and he was a bully, thug, abusive, sexist and apparently animal torturer.

Forgive​ me for not being too pushed either way about him, I'd save any prayers/hopes/good wishes for somebody not an asshole.

not really, alot of american wrestlers are college grads and have degrees

His statement was 'a lot of...'

I don't think you quite understand what I said.

Read up on suicide/depression on post-sport careers and come back to me, sound.

American wrestlers are college grads because they wrestle throughout college so you picked a stupid example.

Football players have a terrible education if picked up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

To be fair to the NFL they have numerous regulations to encourage players to get and maintain good grades in their chosen college course if they want to be drafted.

Of the biggest three sporting organisations in the USA (NFL/MLB/NBA) the NFL are the only ones that enforce a rule whereby a player must be 3 years (minimum) out of high school in order to be drafted by a team. It basically forces players to go to college and get a degree if he wants to play football.

In the NBA, its one year and in MLB a player can in theory, join a team straight out of high school. The NHL also were notorious for drafting guys straight out of high school up until the mid 2000's AFAIR.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    To be fair to the NFL they have numerous regulations to encourage players to get and maintain good grades in their chosen college course if they want to be drafted.

Of the biggest three sporting organisations in the USA (NFL/MLB/NBA) the NFL are the only ones that enforce a rule whereby a player must be 3 years (minimum) out of high school in order to be drafted by a team. It basically forces players to go to college and get a degree if he wants to play football.

In the NBA, its one year and in MLB a player can in theory, join a team straight out of high school. The NHL also were notorious for drafting guys straight out of high school up until the mid 2000's AFAIR.

Sorry, when I said football, I meant soccer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Sorry, when I said football, I meant soccer :p

My bad. Thought you were comparing American football to wrestling.

Agree with the soccer thing though. Its actually scandalous that they can basically pluck children out of education and then toss them on the scrap heap when they dont make the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

John_D80 wrote: »

While true in theory, those rules are subverted at every opportunity. Have you seen Last Chance U as a recent example? There are lads failing classes in how to tie their shoes.

While true in theory, those rules are subverted at every opportunity. Have you seen Last Chance U as a recent example? There are lads failing classes in how to tie their shoes.

This is not division one schools though. They are given chances but them morons are like I should be in class but i am going to stay in bed, no wonder they go to a dead last chance, As for soccer they all have class and tutors, but if they want to do no work outside of soccer thats on them and there folks the club can only provide the tools

American wrestlers are college grads because they wrestle throughout college so you picked a stupid example.

We are on about an american wrestler, not a stupid example, most professional athletes are millionaires and can afford to get help, why should clubs have to do anything, If you retire as a teacher and get depressed is it up to the department of education to help you???

We are on about an american wrestler, not a stupid example, most professional athletes are millionaires and can afford to get help, why should clubs have to do anything, If you retire as a teacher and get depressed is it up to the department of education to help you???

You're just not grasping this topic at all at all

I also don't think you understand how depression works. Having millions isn't worth a bollox when depressed.

Read up on it... honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The issue is that people at the top end of sport define themselves by their athletic accomplishments...they are more often than not completely goal driven, and their sense of self-worth is based on their ability to win fights / matches / races / tournaments etc...

When they no longer have those goals to chase, or that success to validate themselves as individuals, many retired pro athletes struggle greatly. Equating your self worth with external things is a slippery slope from a mental health perspective.... Most of us do it every day....base our self worth on things like how much money we have / how nice our clothes are / how good looking people say we are / how good our jobs are etc....none of this stuff means we are a good person, but we are told it matters... And we measure ourselves by it....

...if you spend your whole life believing that the only thing that matters is you being the best at a particular sport, its going to mess you up when you can no longer compete in that sport. And the people that make money from these athletes have a vested interest in these athletes having this mindset...it brings them to a level that less driven but more rounded people couldn't reach....but there is no doubt it is at the expense of the athletes mental health....you seem to feel that the money men have no accountability for this, others feel that they do.

Yeah, Some pro athletes retire rich....some don't....some never even make a decent living.... But the people running the various sports will always have more money than all the athletes combined....and they aren't killing themselves or pissing away their lives from the age of 40 onwards.....

Just a thought. A very long thought, admittedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Really weird watching Kingdom at the moment and it features Matt Hughes at a press conference taking part in a 'legends' fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Really weird watching Kingdom at the moment and it features Matt Hughes at a press conference taking part in a 'legends' fight.

Great show.

Hope Hughes recovers from the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Didn't know series 3 of Kingdom had started, excellent!

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Didn't know series 3 of Kingdom had started, excellent!

Confirmed as the last season too :(

Such an underrated show

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob316 wrote: »
    Confirmed as the last season too :(

Such an underrated show

Well, that's me pissed off for the day now. It really is a great show that not enough people are watching.

UFC get mentioned in every episode so far, obviously doing some cross promotion, they should offer to make it a fight pass show but it might be a bit too gritty for it. Excellent show though, must watch for mma fans.

I have a constant urge to reach for the bottle watching it though for some reason :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Gamebred wrote: »

That's been deleted, what was it out of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

@UFCEurope 6m6 minutes ago
    More
    BREAKING! @CrisCyborg vs. @MeganA_mma at #UFC214 as Germaine de Randamie is removed as featherweight champ!

UFC have put together 2 brilliant cards for 213 and 214

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Gamebred wrote: »
    @UFCEurope 6m6 minutes ago
    More
    BREAKING! @CrisCyborg vs. @MeganA_mma at #UFC214 as Germaine de Randamie is removed as featherweight champ!

in before someone mentions Conor

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    in before someone mentions Conor

No one should be mentioning Conor with this story. GDR cheated her way to a win, immediately have an injury excuse and then flat out told the UFC she is refusing to fight cyborg and they can take her belt if they want. Worst 'champion' ever. UFC hold some of the blame though starring that weightclass in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement