Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

ricero wrote: »
    Rumours this morning of holloway v frankie, no love v tj and khabib v ferguson for ufc 217 in msg for november

Wow I hope thats true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I smell wolf tickets......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dashoonage wrote: »
    I smell wolf tickets......

I dunno i think the ufc may try make the msg card in november their "superbowl" marquee event
    Although you would think mcgregor would be on their biggest card of the year. If this is true then i reckon mcgregor wont be back until early 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, just realised I'll be in New York for UFC 214. Anyone know the best bar around the Times Square area who will definitely be showing the fights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Bad news for the sport again tonight.

Donshay White has died as a result of his injuries in heavyweight clash at Hardrock MMA in Kentucky. He was 38 with a record of 1-0 going into the bout. He lost via TKO and collapsed backstage and died a few hours later.

A couple of fights later, another fighter collapsed backstage. Condition unknown.

At that point both the ambulances had left the scene so they cancelled the remainder of the fights.

Anyway, RIP Donshay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Lads, just realised I'll be in New York for UFC 214. Anyone know the best bar around the Times Square area who will definitely be showing the fights?

I was there for mcgregor v aldo. Loads of places will be showing it. I went to a small Irish bar 5 mins walk from Times Square. Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Niall's Bar at 218 E 52nd street is a pretty good Irish sports bar. Great food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bad news for the sport again tonight.

Donshay White has died as a result of his injuries in heavyweight clash at Hardrock MMA in Kentucky. He was 38 with a record of 1-0 going into the bout. He lost via TKO and collapsed backstage and died a few hours later.

A couple of fights later, another fighter collapsed backstage. Condition unknown.

At that point both the ambulances had left the scene so they cancelled the remainder of the fights.

Anyway, RIP Donshay.
    An amateur fighter too I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is it ok to get excited about this yet or am I still waiting for something to go wrong!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Is it ok to get excited about this yet or am I still waiting for something to go wrong!

Anyone getting excited about this until fight night is fooling themselves, between Daniel "Towel" Cormier and Jon "What did he do this time" Jones, I'm waiting until about the co-main event before I get pumped for it.

Cant upload the video put yoel romeros latest video about bisping from the streets of cuba is worth a watch for a good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

ricero wrote: »
    Cant upload the video put yoel romeros latest video about bisping from the streets of cuba is worth a watch for a good laugh

This it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

xtal191 wrote: »
    This it?

He's not wrong in fairness.

Bisping is scared of him, and everyone else in the top 5.

Whittaker is going to smash him, I hope he fights Yoel after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

He's not wrong in fairness.

Bisping is scared of him, and everyone else in the top 5.

Whittaker is going to smash him, I hope he fights Yoel after that.

He kinda is wrong though, say what you like about bispings behavior but yoel had his chance to solidify himself as the no.1 contender against whitaker and he blew it. doesn't make much sense trying to call out the champ after losing the interim fight.

The interim fight shouldn't have happened in fairness. Bisping's been pissing around fighting a pensioner and going after a money fight with GSP. Yoel should have had his title shot months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Depp wrote:
    He kinda is wrong though, say what you like about bispings behavior but yoel had his chance to solidify himself as the no.1 contender against whitaker and he blew it. doesn't make much sense trying to call out the champ after losing the interim fight.

He cemented his place as no 1 contender over a year ago. Whitaker is a brilliant fighter no doubt and I think he Tkos Bisping but Romero deserved the shot. ALAS, he's own fault for taking the fight.

The interim fight shouldn't have happened in fairness. Bisping's been pissing around fighting a pensioner and going after a money fight with GSP. Yoel should have had his title shot months ago.

Agree with this to a point should have happened sooner but whatever you think of bisping the fact of the matter is he got knee surgery and the likelihood of that being recovered in time for a july fight are fairly low, yoel is only making himself look stupid calling him out now, would be better served going back to the drawing board and getting a win or two together before he goes asking dana for title shots.

Depp wrote: »
    Agree with this to a point should have happened sooner but whatever you think of bisping the fact of the matter is he got knee surgery and the likelihood of that being recovered in time for a july fight are fairly low, yoel is only making himself look stupid calling him out now, would be better served going back to the drawing board and getting a win or two together before he goes asking dana for title shots.

Whittaker is out for the next 6 months at least thanks to his knee being fooked.

Bisping should have to defend his belt before the end of the year, Bobby Knuckles won't be fighting him before the new year. Yoel is the obvious choice.

Whittaker is out for the next 6 months at least thanks to his knee being fooked.

Bisping should have to defend his belt before the end of the year, Bobby Knuckles won't be fighting him before the new year. Yoel is the obvious choice.

So yoel loses the no.1 contender fight but still gets the title shot? seems fair to me:D

agree with bisping having to defend by the end of the year though

• Advertisement

Have to laugh at people calling bisping 'scared'. Love him or hate him bisping never backed down from a scrap and is an honest pro. As he has stated the ufc offered him dan henderson in his hometown of manchester and bisping wanted it to avenge a loss and fight in front of his fans.

He is recovering from knee surgery and im sure he will fight romero before he retires. I gotta laugh at people upset with him not defending his belt when a certain irish man has never defended his title and held up two divisions.

I suppose bisping is a divisive figure so will always have people against him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I don't think he is scared, nobody who gets punched in the face for a living is scared of any other human, but he wants to drag out his reign and make championship money without fighting championship contenders. I loved Bisping till he got the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yoel was the obvious choice at Christmas. But not anymore. He drops out of the line with a loss.
    Imagine the scenes if McGregor still fought Aldo after losing to Mendes. He'd have lost his shot, and do too should Yoel for now.
    What's up with Rockhold? Is he fighting anytime soon

Rockhold won't accept a fight with anyone besides a title fight by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Who the fcuk is bobby knuckles??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Its whittikars nickname

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Bibby knuckles is a nickname given to whitaker on the co main event podcast. It has gained some traction but if ya dont listen to podcast you more than likely wont get the reference

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Rockhold also coming off a loss deserves no title shot, nor Yoel.

Bisping gets a lot of hate for supposedly ducking opponents. But let's rewind a bit. When he won the belt, that left Rockhold, Weidman and Jacare coming off losses and Romero suspended for an anti doping violation. With no clear contender, the Hendo fight was one many wanted to see and so the UFC made it. He was offered the fight and who could blame him for taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Django99 wrote: »
    Rockhold also coming off a loss deserves no title shot, nor Yoel.

Dave Branch #8 holds the longest win streak in the division, only 1 fought once in the UFC a split decision win, all the fighters ahead of him are all coming off losses apart from Brunson and obviously Bobby Knuckles. Nothing stopped Nick Diaz or Miesha Tate getting title shots after losses, Vitor could get the title shot at this rate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Dave Branch #8 holds the longest win streak in the division, only 1 fought once in the UFC a split decision win, all the fighters ahead of him are all coming off losses apart from Brunson and obviously Bobby Knuckles. Nothing stopped Nick Diaz or Miesha Tate getting title shots after losses, Vitor could get the title shot at this rate!!

Yeah but the UFC should be past the stage now of giving title fights to people coming off losses. The days of Tate getting as many goes at the title and she wants and Nick Diaz whinging his way into a title fight are hopefully behind us.

There's no rush on a title fight, we've just had one. Give Whitaker time to heal up and let him fight Bisping. It has the potential to be a brilliant fight actually. Two high output cardio freaks, I'd expect a close fight.

If Romero and Rockhold fought I'd have no problem with the winner getting the shot after Whitaker. Or if Gastelum beats Weidman this weekend. But at this point I don't think anybody should get a title shot straight off a loss, barring maybe in exceptional circumstances an immediate rematch.

Rockhold had zero successful defences, and was comprehensively beat so no rematch for him in my book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement