Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Django99 wrote: »
    Or if Gastelum beats Weidman this weekend.

Kelvin has only one win in the division over a guy who is now retired unless you include the Vitor fight too and he gets a shot for beating Weidman who has lost 3 in a row I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Kelvin has only one win in the division over a guy who is now retired unless you include the Vitor fight too and he gets a shot for beating Weidman who has lost 3 in a row I dunno.

Still better than someone coming off a loss in my view. And although Weidman has lost three in a row they were to top fighters, and he was a fairly dominant champ for a while.

Gastelum also beat Hendricks in what might as well have been a MW fight at UFC 200 when both of them struggled to make weight (poor Hendricks missed by a quarter of a pound). And his only losses have been split decisions.

I dunno I really just don't want to see anyone getting a title shot off a loss, any one on any kind of a win streak is more deserving in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I would pay ppv to see Romero Bisping probably top 3 fights I wanna see in mma im all in buying this beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rockhold won't accept a fight with anyone besides a title fight by all accounts.
    Really?
    He might be waiting awhile in that case. I can't see him getting ahead of the pack my sitting out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rumour this morning of cain vs stipe at ufc 216 in october

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

ricero wrote: »
    Rumour this morning of cain vs stipe at ufc 216 in october

At least we will have a couple of months of looking forward to it before Cain gets injured in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Whittaker is out for the next 6 months at least thanks to his knee being fooked.

Bisping should have to defend his belt before the end of the year, Bobby Knuckles won't be fighting him before the new year. Yoel is the obvious choice.

6 months is not true. That was what the commission gave him but they are always nuch shorter as the provision is you can compete earlier with doctor clearance. RW doesn't seem to think the injury is anything major.

Beersmith wrote: »
    6 months is not true. That was what the commission gave him but they are always nuch shorter as the provision is you can compete earlier with doctor clearance. RW doesn't seem to think the injury is anything major.
    They gave him 9 months, or until cleared.
    Obviously it's just precautionary. But knees are a bitch. Could be anywhere from next month to next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mellor wrote:
    They gave him 9 months, or until cleared. Obviously it's just precautionary. But knees are a bitch. Could be anywhere from next month to next year.

After Christmas at least I'd say. Bisping could go down as being a champion for 3 years. 1 defence against 12 ranked 50 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

If Whittaker is out for 6 months plus he has to miss his opportunity. We can't be waiting around for injuries to be healed all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

They will make the GSP fight still probably knowing Dana White, he will **** on Whittaker for being injured or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Whelo79 wrote: »
    If Whittaker is out for 6 months plus he has to miss his opportunity. We can't be waiting around for injuries to be healed all the time.

He can just fight whoever has the title when he's cleared to fight again. He doesn't lose out except in that he loses the easy fight with Bisping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Django99 wrote: »
    Yeah but the UFC should be past the stage now of giving title fights to people coming off losses. The days of Tate getting as many goes at the title and she wants and Nick Diaz whinging his way into a title fight are hopefully behind us.

There's no rush on a title fight, we've just had one. Give Whitaker time to heal up and let him fight Bisping. It has the potential to be a brilliant fight actually. Two high output cardio freaks, I'd expect a close fight.

If Romero and Rockhold fought I'd have no problem with the winner getting the shot after Whitaker. Or if Gastelum beats Weidman this weekend. But at this point I don't think anybody should get a title shot straight off a loss, barring maybe in exceptional circumstances an immediate rematch.

Rockhold had zero successful defences, and was comprehensively beat so no rematch for him in my book.
    When is he fighting next ?

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He's interim champ though.
    They don't need to wait for him and the either title can change hands in the meantime. But once he's fit, the titles should be unified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Mellor wrote: »
    He's interim champ though.
    They don't need to wait for him and the either title can change hands in the meantime. But once he's fit, the titles should be unified.

They should probably have an interim interim title fight in his absence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

qwabercd wrote: »
    They should probably have an interim interim title fight in his absence

Interimception Dana and Shelby are wetting themselves with excitement right now.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    When is he fighting next ?

He's not booked and it was said earlier he won't accept anything other than a title fight, which would be a bit ridiculous. If he fought Romero, the winner would have a good claim for a shot, but as it stands I wouldn't agree with giving either of them a go.

The MW division has been a rollercoaster lately, at times it's looked like there's several contenders but at others (like right now) it's stuck for a contender on a streak with good credentials.

Interimception Dana and Shelby are wetting themselves with excitement right now.

I'm not sure they actually do like interim belts, but more they feel casual fans put some respect onto them.

Of all the recent interim titles they were really number one contender fights.

Whitaker v Yoel- no real reason to have a belt at stake, other than to guarantee the winner real title fight.

Holloway v Pettis - 206 needed a headline and again, the only thing it did was guarantee the winner a fight with Aldo.

Aldo v Edgar- McGregor held the belt and had no intention of defending at the time, the fight warranted 5 rounds but wasn't headliner, hence interim belt created.

McGregor v Mendes - huge casual interest and all it guaranteed was a fight with Aldo, again no point to the belt other than to allow it to headline the card.

I'd imagine Dana and Shelby would prefer if the champs could stay injury free and active, but a lot of the champs gain a very entitled opinion of themselves once they get the belt. I'd say this annoys them more than anything else.

The last real justified interim belt was at 135 when Barao held it, for the simple reason there was doubt how soon and if at all Cruz would have been back. At HW Cain also created a genuine need for an interim belt with his injuries back in the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

3 years ago today - time flies!

Axwell wrote:
    3 years ago today - time flies!

I knew he was special that night, but to think he'd be fighting Floyd Mayweather 3 years on from that night, mind blowing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It was some night, the atmosphere both days was incredible. I was lucky enough to be there for work. The company I was with were doing a fanpic so I got to go to the weight ins the day before and was there setting up the gear the whole day of the event and got to see loads of the fighters and the practice walk ins etc. Two of the lads off here were also fighting on the UFC game on stage before the weigh ins - poor old Zero Cool got the short straw and was Bruce Lee and had to throw the fight against Conor but it was a good laugh.

Its hilarious the way they prepare for the walk ins. They had two of the staff pretending to be Conor and Diego and practice the walk in so they could make sure everything ran smooth - the timing of the music, how long it would take to get to the cage etc. They would walk out acting like the fighters throwing shapes and waving to an empty arena. I knew during the day where he would walk in from and the music and knew the roof would go off the place. The agency we were working with even brought a noise metre to check the decibel levels for the UFC and I cant remember the exact results but it was on a par or slightly louder than some of the big sports arena events in the states they said.

Fanpic from the night of the crowd -
    http://tag.huggity.com/fanpic/401-2014-ufc-dublin/app/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rumours that brock lesnar is to fight at novembers msg card

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol, rematch with Hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ricero wrote: »

He'd have to get another exemption again after retiring. Just long enough to get a fresh cycle in. He also get a 2 year ban IIRC?

He most likely retired to get out of the testing pool in the first place, his body was starting to droop in WWE so he needed to stop USADA random visits.

ricero wrote:

Surely that can't be allowed? He "retired" from mma to avoid a doping ban. Surely to God his ban would still run if he comes out of Retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

People don't wanna see Brock fight they wanna see him smash. He should be in Bellator suplexing bums, none of this usada rubbish.

Brock Smash

• Registered Users Posts: 29,853 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Axwell wrote: »
    It was some night,

It was indeed man, epic weekend. Seeing behind the scenes stuff, whatever anyone says about the UFC, they are one impeccably well oiled machine. The way the fights played out was like something out of a film. Biggest KO of the weekend was that kid burning Luke Barnett at the q&a.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Seery on newstalk now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

JJayoo wrote: »
    People don't wanna see Brock fight they wanna see him smash. He should be in Bellator suplexing bums, none of this usada rubbish.

Brock Smash

I want to see him smashed tbh

He's already suplexing bums in WWE at the minute, what suplexes did Brock manage to hit in MMA?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement