Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ricero wrote: »

Also what is the name of the fella in the dallas cowboys t-shirt ? I do enjoy his questions at press conferances

As above, to add he is to MMAjunkie what Ariel is to MMAfighting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Most dedicated Journo in combat that guy lives on Aeroplanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Just back from wimp to warrior in the city west......great night with 17 fights...amazing talent with all the guys and girls putting themselves on the line. Reffing much stricter than last year which meant a lot of first round stoppages but none of them unfair. So much respect for all involved. Unfortunately the person I was supporting (son of the guy I was supporting last year) was stopped in the second round. Serious talent everywhere. Maybe I'll go for it next year ������

Just back from wimp to warrior in the city west......great night with 17 fights...amazing talent with all the guys and girls putting themselves on the line. Reffing much stricter than last year which meant a lot of first round stoppages but none of them unfair. So much respect for all involved. Unfortunately the person I was supporting (son of the guy I was supporting last year) was stopped in the second round. Serious talent everywhere. Maybe I'll go for it next year 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Did Arron Beale win his fight do ya know?

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Did Arron Beale win his fight do ya know?

Terrible with names...if I saw a picture I'd know....some action tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

joeguevara wrote: »
    Terrible with names...if I saw a picture I'd know....some action tonight.

Pic of him here

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/tag/arron-beale/

Axwell wrote: »

Yes I think he won. But to tell you the truth the speed of the fights caught me surprise. Most were first round finishes and the next fight was straight away.

Yes I think he won. But to tell you the truth the speed of the fights caught me surprise. Most were first round finishes and the next fight was straight away.

Arron was fighting eoghan o Brian in the second last fight and to be honest that part of the night was a haze. Been there since 17.50 and drinking double Jameson's since. Adrenaline and nerves were pumping early because my mates son was fighting 4th. He my mate)is usually the calmest person ever but he was pacing like a madman. His wife was in bits and couldn't talk and hadn't ate since the day before. He didn't win but put up a great fight and we are all so proud.

Really nice thing is that his opponent, Dave mc Grath put a very humble and heartfelt message on his Facebook. That's what sport is all about.

Funniest part of the night is when the guy beside me leaned over to a woman who was cheering for a fighter, and asked her 'is that your son?' She looked at him with a disgusted look and said 'that's my fcuking husband' Awkward.

I'll try and find out about Arron....I'm sure it will be up on Facebook soon. Still in a spin with the Jon jones victory!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So Dana, who said a couple of days ago that "the ship had sailed" on Bisping v GSP and that the winner of Woodley v Maia would be facing him, backtracks and says Bisping v GSP is back on.

Now I have no interest in Woodley v GSP (and I don't think anyone does) but the amount of times that Dana lies without any sort of consequence is just a joke.

It's long before time that something is done about it. He's a parody of himself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,153 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be fair no one wants to see GSP and Woodley and Dana knows it.

What's people's thoughts of JJ calling out lesnar...pretty emphatic....surprised he didn't give a dig at Conor because from those kicks I saw Conor would have been pointed over the bar and into Hill 16 (and I am a huge Conor fan and actually wanted to see that fight after the bust up back stage before the weigh ins).

Also any opinions on Cormier behaviour after the decision..at first the commentator was making out that he just want to go over and congratulate JJ but following that it was like he was p1ssed at the decision and pushed big john before the arm raising. Also the crying was ridiculous. I understand adrenaline dump, hormones and emotions but ffs get a grip.

Finally, after rewatching it (and I think big john is the best ref ever) I think too much damage occurred before the fight was stopped. Maybe that is coloured because the wimp 2 warrior fights were called very quickly but I didn't see Cormier coming back and the punches kept raining down.

Brilliant fight. Watched it on a stream because my projector is broken. What a night for MMA. Citywest and my gaff. Actually now that I think of it, this should be in the fight thread.

With that in mind and to keep it general did anyone see the western trained Chinese MMA champion and multiple gym owner destroy China's premier tai chi master in 12 seconds. The video has been censored in China as it disrespects a state endorsed martial art. The guy who is a complete maverick (the video gave the example of eating the producers lunch in front of the producer saying he can do what he wants) was about to fight another tai chi master until about 15 police bundled him away. He says his mission is to educate the world on fake martial arts and to show how ridiculous it is. The chines state said that although tai chi was originally used on the battlefield it has evolved into an artistic or performance art and western influenced street fighting disrespects that art.

It opened my eyes to China and especially censorship. But I was never under the illusion that tai chi could be used as a combat technique. What it did remind me of was the other Chinese discipline (name evades me) which is very similar where people who practice it are getting life in prison. I saw demonstrations outside trinity college and China town in London. It freaked me out that such a thing could throw someone in jail.

Jaysus that was a rant and a half. But wine and a plethora of MMA can definitely loosen my tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Wtf are you on about kicks and McGregor and Hill 16?!

Jones said afterwards that he admires McGregor.

Wtf are you on about kicks and McGregor and Hill 16?!

Jones said afterwards that he admires McGregor.

What I meant, mightn't have said it correctly, was those kicks were bone crunchers....did so much damage to Cormier....I was thinking how much damage those same kicks would do to Conor..maybe I'm wrong. I'm tired. But if JJaas fighting McGregor at that weight and he unleashed those kicks, would they KO Conor?

I didn't hear all of JJ's post fight interview because stream stalled so if he did say he respect Conor, fair play, but there has been bad blood (or hyped bad blood) for the last nearly 6 months.

NB I may be completely wrong...I'm not an expert on UFC. I do watch a hell of a lot of it though both professional and amateur and am fascinated and in awe of anyone who has the guts to step into that octagon.

This is probably a bit ridiculous notion but do you think there will ever be a inter gender mma fight. I'm just thinking about cyborg having no competition. I'm not saying she should fight a male but do you ever think it could happen?
    The woman beating the man would be huge but the optics of the inverse would be crippling to mainstream mma.

It's probably down the road though alrite with the way of the world these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

rob316 wrote: »
    This is probably a bit ridiculous notion but do you think there will ever be a inter gender mma fight. I'm just thinking about cyborg having no competition. I'm not saying she should fight a male but do you ever think it could happen?
    The woman beating the man would be huge but the optics of the inverse would be crippling to mainstream mma.

Maybe gabi Garcia vs an amateur lightweight male

Really not sure but could you use McEnroes tennis analogy that any male ranked in top 500 would beat female number 1? I'm not sure, especially after seeing 4 amateur females absolutely killing it tonight.

Really not sure but could you use McEnroes tennis analogy that any male ranked in top 500 would beat female number 1? I'm not sure, especially after seeing 4 amateur females absolutely killing it tonight.

nunes and cyborg hit savagely hard. that's a bollox analogy from McEnroe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nunes or cyborg would be killed by any decent amateur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I can't see Cyborg lasting more than 30 seconds against any top 30 male featherweight. It's the Serena Williams thing all over again, where they look so dominant against their own gender but the one time Serena played the number 200-something on the men's tour, she lost 6-1 after him being on the beer.

Different ball game. She'd be badly hurt quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What I meant, mightn't have said it correctly, was those kicks were bone crunchers....did so much damage to Cormier....I was thinking how much damage those same kicks would do to Conor..maybe I'm wrong. I'm tired. But if JJaas fighting McGregor at that weight and he unleashed those kicks, would they KO Conor?

I didn't hear all of JJ's post fight interview because stream stalled so if he did say he respect Conor, fair play, but there has been bad blood (or hyped bad blood) for the last nearly 6 months.

NB I may be completely wrong...I'm not an expert on UFC. I do watch a hell of a lot of it though both professional and amateur and am fascinated and in awe of anyone who has the guts to step into that octagon.

Jesus Christ, why are you even talking about Jones and McGregor fighting? Jones is 50 pounds heavier than him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I am a huge Conor fan and actually wanted to see that fight after the bust up back stage before the weigh ins.
    What bust up?
    But if JJaas fighting McGregor at that weight and he unleashed those kicks, would they KO Conor?

Jon Jones is 50lbs bigger than McGregor. What bad blood are you talking about.
    They are never ever ever going to fight.

Mellor wrote: »
    What bust up?

Absolute apologies, had a brain freeze...too much wine etc etc etc...was talking about Woodley...have made a fool of myself now...was thinking with those kicks that they could never be matched up.

Sorry again

Jesus Christ, why are you even talking about Jones and McGregor fighting? Jones is 50 pounds heavier than him!

Your right....too much wine...and tiredness...confused fighters and made a show of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You the likes of female fighters beating up untrained guys on Jackass and the like. But verses a trained opponent, Cyborg would get hammered. Badly.

This is the Ronda Rousey scenerio all over again.
    Cyborg and Nunes hit hard for the womens division. The part in bold is key.

The McEnroe statement was literally proven to be correct, on a few occasions.
    Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park, after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[55] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun". Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mellor wrote: »
    What bust up?

Well according to the experts in the YouTube comments McGregor would destroy Jones within 12.3 seconds

JJayoo wrote: »
    Well according to the experts in the YouTube comments McGregor would destroy Jones within 12.3 seconds

Maybe they made the same mistake as me and were talking about Woolley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The thought of Jones vs McGregor is f*cking hilarious. I'd love to see it happen now that you've mentioned it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Since when did it become open season on discussing current events in here?

Thankfully I succeeded in a full media blackout until I watched the fights at 4pm Sunday. But in here people were discussing results of the main and co-main by lunchtime.

I know I'll be criticised and told that if you want to avoid spoilers then stay offline but it doesn't change the fact that there are event threads for a reason and a lot of people don't watch live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement